Question for those w/ Road zeppelin seat experience

azbob09

250+ Posts
Dec 1, 2009
Wickenburg, Az.

This past Nov. I had a severe neck injury to the cervical spine in the neck that required extensive surgery & on going physical therapy.
I just started testing the effects of riding the TG in a very limited way ( maybe a bit early ) & discovered the pain & discomfort I feel is not from the steering or other effects of operating the trike but from the jolting bumps & rough roads.
Would the expensive of going to a Road Zep air seat help with this problem I'm having?
I have the DK comfort lift & have lowered the tire pressure to 22# & the air shocks to 18#. I normally ride solo & won't be loading down for long road trips as in the past for a while.
Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

I don't know about it cushioning the bumps ... they are much wider so IMHO you sit more stable ... the air adjustability really helps with butt burn ... so it might help with your pain.

Find yourself a dealer that handles a lot of touring models & they most likely will have a demo seat for you to try out. If possible keep it for a good ride to decide for yourself.
What works for one person might be totally different for the next person.

I'm not sure the Zepplin absorbs the bumps. I like mine, bit it is more about changing the pressure points than softening the ride. I'm thinking different shocks may be the way to go for that

The hard part to answer from your question is the discomfort your feel and what is really causing it. The Zep seat is a great seat but it's more about pressure points then cushion. I have one with a sheep skin cover the overall effect is a nice ride for me, but I do not have your issues to deal with. Good luck. Try the demo suggestion if possible.

A less expensive route you may try, to see if it improves, is an air hawk seat cushion. It is adjustable, and may very well soften some of the bumps.

Also, take the time to really dial in the ideal PSI in your rear shocks...as little as 2 PSI can make a difference you can feel.

Kevin

First you never said what year your tri is. If it is a '14 or later it might be in the tire/shock adjustment as Kevin and others have mentioned. I have no experience with the zeppelin seat.

I have an '11 tri and had to do some modifications before my wife and I could ride any kind of distance without our back problems. Both our backs and my cervical series were damaged to the point days I couldn't dress my self. Fortunately those days have passed and we can ride.

I contacted Leon at DFT in Addison, Il. regarding independent suspension and he scheduled a test ride on his demo. Too make a long story short I was convinced after running through pot holes and over rail road tracks that this was for me. I have no vested rights with this company only giving my experience. It's too bad H-D doesn't offer this type suspension but other companies do and it will give you the best ride, IMO.

The tri was converted 3 years ago and 22K miles latter without back problems (other than normal). DJ

18 pounds may be to low shock pressure and allow the frame to bottom out. i found this to be the case when i expermited with shock pressures.
I appreciate the suggestions. For years I've stayed around 25# & ran 30# when fully loaded for a long trip.
This TG is a 2014 & I have HD's 2" pull back bars already.
I never thought before this that they rode excessively hard. Maybe I'm rushing the recovery time, but I'd like to get back to riding as soon as I can so I'm still open for any other ideas.
Thanks...

Air pressure varies with Rider

Air pressure varies with the size of rider and passenger. For my bride and I at our size #36 front tire #22 rear tires #36 to#38 day trips and longer trips we raise shock pressure as load requires. 1 to 2 lbs. difference can make a huge difference, in comfort. It takes a little work to find what works for the individual machine and riders.ThumbUp ride safely fearless

Attachments

• DSC00136.JPG
    DSC00136.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 190
Maybe I'm rushing the recovery time, but I'd like to get back to riding as soon as I can so I'm still open for any other ideas.
Thanks...

Did you mention to your DR. that you are a rider? I know 2 people who have had surgeries like you mention. During recovery their Dr. had them "condition" their necks by wearing their helmets a little at a time around the house until they could take the weight of the helmet for several hours without problems. Both started at 5 min. on and 30 min. off and worked up from there. Popping that 3-4 pound helmet on puts some serious stresses on the neck. After your neck is back in shape maybe you can address the bike then.

Did you mention to your DR. that you are a rider? I know 2 people who have had surgeries like you mention. During recovery their Dr. had them "condition" their necks by wearing their helmets a little at a time around the house until they could take the weight of the helmet for several hours without problems. Both started at 5 min. on and 30 min. off and worked up from there. Popping that 3-4 pound helmet on puts some serious stresses on the neck. After your neck is back in shape maybe you can address the bike then.
That sounds like a good idea & doing it in small increments. I don' t see the surgeon again until mid March. I weigh about 165# in regards to air pressure w/ tires & shocks & I've test different air pressures.
I will start using the helmet as you said & adjust the time accordingly.Thanks...

That sounds like a good idea & doing it in small increments. I don' t see the surgeon again until mid March. I weigh about 165# in regards to air pressure w/ tires & shocks & I've test different air pressures.
I will start using the helmet as you said & adjust the time accordingly.Thanks...

Good Luck and hope you are riding soon.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back