portable gas can in trunk of trike

Someone had mentioned the legality of carrying extra fuel containers. But the NJ turnpike prohibits extra fuel in containers...
TITLE 19. OTHER AGENCIES
NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE AUTHORITY
CHAPTER 9. NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE AUTHORITY
§ 19:9-1.15 Transportation of hazardous materials
(d) No person shall transport gasoline or other flammable liquids in containers in private vehicles.

So I would check where ever you are going to make sure you don't give the police a reason to be pulled over.

I can see where extra fuel containers carried in the Tri glide trunk would violate this regulation, but extra fuel containers strapped or permanently mounted to the tour pac rack would not be "IN" the vehicle.

Might come down to what their definition of "is" is.. LOL

I can see where extra fuel containers carried in the Tri glide trunk would violate this regulation, but extra fuel containers strapped or permanently mounted to the tour pac rack would not be "IN" the vehicle.

Might come down to what their definition of "is" is.. LOL

Having dealt with NJSP in the past I would venture to say if it is on the bike , even strapped down to the luggage rack, NJSP would consider this in your vehicle and issue a ticket..just keep this in mind if you travel through our wonderful peoples state...lol:laugh:

Having dealt with NJSP in the past I would venture to say if it is on the bike , even strapped down to the luggage rack, NJSP would consider this in your vehicle and issue a ticket..just keep this in mind if you travel through our wonderful peoples state...lol:laugh:

Got to also consider the max weight for a premium tour-pak rack is 10 lbs, gallons of gas plus containers will be in the 14 lb range which means the lid could develop stress cracks, maybe even transferring to the hinge and latch sides also.

Just finished reading my Iron Butt magazine. A lot of riders had installed external tanks to their bikes. I wonder how all those that do Iron Butt rallys get away with the external gas tanks they have on their bikes going through NJ and other states that prohibit external tanks???
These are not your ordinary gas tanks, they have special valves, lines and baffles etc.

Other then Alaska and some parts of Canada, I can't imagine any road that you can run out of gas on before coming to another gas station.
Buckin', where is this road? So I or anyone else can prepare our selves.

Moneywoes, I can agree with you on that. Been there done that. ;)

Sure glad I don't have an old sporty. :D

I will never carry a regular gas can in or on my bike. ThumbUp

If your running down the Turnpike or the Parkway with a gas container strapped to your luggage rack.,
ie; ''In plane sight'', And a Leo hasn't yet made his/her two performance tickets, You might get stopped..

This thread won't die. lol

Here is a pic of us coming back down the Haul Road from the Arctic Circle...taken at 11:00 at night!

2 gallon container...full on the way up, empty on the way back. Pretty rough road.

ToAC34_zps41d6c3be.jpg

During the trip from Mississippi to Alaska and back we ran with the 2 gallon fuel tank and either the stuff sack or cooler on the rack, sometimes all three, like pictured below. We ran some pretty rough roads (see Ride Report HERE) and had no problems with being triple overweight (or more) on the rack. btw, the Tour-Pak is relocated a couple of inches further back than stock also.

We did not run with fuel in the container when we knew there were plenty of gas stations.

TOBT48_zpsb8f9e42b.jpg

If I ever make my way up to NJ and carry a gas container for some point further that I may need it...I guess I will just make sure it is empty while in NJ. :)

This thread won't die. lol

Here is a pic of us coming back down the Haul Road from the Arctic Circle...taken at 11:00 at night!

2 gallon container...full on the way up, empty on the way back. Pretty rough road.

If I ever make my way up to NJ and carry a gas container for some point further that I may need it...I guess I will just make sure it is empty while in NJ. :)

You can keep it full, Just keep it out of site. ''Empty'' or Full.....

All hashed out time & time again...... But out West there are many roads that might take you exploring up in the mountains away from your intended route. Most people stay on a freeway for their excitement. I don't.... A freeway only when it is a have to do thing.
There are quite a few roads out West that will lead you far away from a gas pump. And that is on the main highway. Ever been out in Death Valley??? Or how about from Ely Nv to Tonopah Nv. there aren't any stations open in most of the back lands in Nevada. Most have dried up & closed. Ever been to Kelso Ca.? The back way ? Sometimes Gas is there, but you might end up sleeping by the pump until someone comes the next day. Sometimes the maps aren't correct in what is in a town for fuel.
Out West things aren't like a gas pump every 20 to 50 miles.
Many of these out of the way places are great to visit & explore, but you gota get back to a gas pump sometime. For the most part you can plan things around gas pumps, But things aren't always 100% . I make mistakes also. Just say'in.........CYA !

All hashed out time & time again...... But out West there are many roads that might take you exploring up in the mountains away from your intended route. Most people stay on a freeway for their excitement. I don't.... A freeway only when it is a have to do thing.
There are quite a few roads out West that will lead you far away from a gas pump. And that is on the main highway. Ever been out in Death Valley??? Or how about from Ely Nv to Tonopah Nv. there aren't any stations open in most of the back lands in Nevada. Most have dried up & closed. Ever been to Kelso Ca.? The back way ? Sometimes Gas is there, but you might end up sleeping by the pump until someone comes the next day. Sometimes the maps aren't correct in what is in a town for fuel.
Out West things aren't like a gas pump every 20 to 50 miles.
Many of these out of the way places are great to visit & explore, but you gota get back to a gas pump sometime. For the most part you can plan things around gas pumps, But things aren't always 100% . I make mistakes also. Just say'in.........CYA !

ThumbUp Right you are. In that case you'd be dumb NOT to carry extra fuel. Since I don't leave my preplanned routes, I don't need to carry extra fuel. So far I've only been west of the Missouri River twice - - -to go to Sturgis. I don't like the wide open spaces.:cxtv:

I prefer the country east of the Missouri River.....especially the south east. :D

I carry 2 small bottles in my trunk as well . They are sold by the Colman camping company. They are 100% sealed with no fumes and are carried by the forestry service in my area to fuel chain saws in the back country of the mountains. They have saved my butt more than once.

From memory of Engineering classes way back when, a gallon of gasoline weighs 5 pounds. Water weighs 8. Be sure and stick a designer scarf in the spout of that gas can, if you are going to be a rolling Molotov Cocktail, might as well have a pretty fuse. I have been riding 'off the beaten path' for 50 years and ran out of gas ONCE. If I'm exploring and fine that perfect road I usually check before committing to it. If I need gas I get some then explore. I don't fancy carrying a bomb "just in case"

you need to fill up` at 1/4 tank, so you keep the fuel pump from heating up. also carrying a gas container is a ver ybad idea. whatif you get rear-ended. it happens.

I don't understand the difference between between a proper can such as the Harley or even the Wally World in the trunk and having 5 gallons between your legs .:confused:

I don't understand the difference between between a proper can such as the Harley or even the Wally World in the trunk and having 5 gallons between your legs .:confused:

Psychological;
, That's all. Back in the embargo days 1973 I was driving 500 miles a week with a VW Beetle, So I added a go far tank to the original 10 gal tank for a total of about 20 gals, And just about every time I filled up some nimrod would come up to me and comment ,What would happen if it would blow up, I would say it wouldn't kill me any more than 10 gals would.... :D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back