portable gas can in trunk of trike

Last year my bride and I traveled to Yellowstone and back which was a 5,300 mile roundtrip and I never came close to running out of gas. We just stop every 100 miles or so to stretch our legs which is needed.

I have never heard of any insurance restrictions as to what I carry in any of my vehicles.
If I am hit from the rear I think I would be thrown clear of the trike.
I don't think it would make any difference insurance wise whether HD approves of it or not. HD doesn't approve my trike conversion and I had no problem insuring it.
I do love hot dogs!

With all the nimrods out there,
You have more of chance getting hit on the side of the road out of gas' than just riding around with an extra tank in the back... [Target fixation]..:xszpv:

On our trip to Alaska in 1992, my wife and I each carried two 1 pint hiker fuel bottles on our FLSTC's. Only once did we come close to using the gas but I was glad we had them.

The hiker fuel bottles are designed to carry fuel in backpacks, so they do not leak and they are very light but very strong.

On our trip to Alaska in 1992, my wife and I each carried two 1 pint hiker fuel bottles on our FLSTC's. Only once did we come close to using the gas but I was glad we had them.

The hiker fuel bottles are designed to carry fuel in backpacks, so they do not leak and they are very light but very strong.

ThumbUpThumbUp I carry one on my Sporster never had to use it, But like you said, nice knowing it's there....

Don't forget when you get home to empty the gas into the bike tank or a lawn mower etc. storing the gas is not for indefinite periods of time.

I don't have one or need one, but many of the conversion companies offer aux. fuel tanks that have their own pump to fill your main tank. Most of them hold anywhere between 3 and 5 gallons. I'd imagine a creative mind would be able to find a way to retro fit one of those on their trike. If they are all that dangerous to have, why do CSC, Hannigan, Roadsmith, even Lehman, and others offer them in their conversion kits? If there was a explosion, fire, crash danger, don't you think they would NOT be offering them? A bare bones can sitting in the trunk or strapped on may be something different all together though. I really don't know how safe either option is, but you're sitting with a gas can basically in your lap to begin with, so how much more danger is there in having a spare in the back?

I ain't much on carrying a bomb in the trunk. I ain't muslim. I have been riding for years and have run out of gas twice, both my own fault. Once in the mountains of New Hampshire, once on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I have tried to learn from these experiences, but I'm not sure I did. Time will tell. Now when you are riding for a known long distance where there is absolutely no petrol, by all means pack a bomb. Just my $0.02.

I'm still trying to figure this one out. You know how far you can go on a full tank. Why do you need to carry more. Do you have a a can in your cars also - just in case??? :DI would think you'd WANT to stop every 100-150 miles just to stretch your legs.

Is there any stretch of highway in the U.S. that a gas station is farther away then a tank of gas? Out west maybe? I don't know. I've never encountered one.

Re: portable gas can in trunk of trikeI

I totally agree - living out WEST I have never experienced a situation
of running out of gas (except once/twice due to own ignorance). My
2010 trike goes 200 miles on the stock tank but THE RIDER only goes
100 miles..........problem solved pepper.

I'm still trying to figure this one out. You know how far you can go on a full tank. Why do you need to carry more. Do you have a a can in your cars also - just in case??? :DI would think you'd WANT to stop every 100-150 miles just to stretch your legs.

Is there any stretch of highway in the U.S. that a gas station is farther away then a tank of gas? Out west maybe? I don't know. I've never encountered one.

:Agree: I've only come close to running out of gas on 3 occasions, all 3 were my fault.

None that are ridden regularly that I know of out here Gary. There fer sure is no gas on some very remote stretches across Oregon & Nevada, but Bikes would avoid those roads. Once going across Nevada on I-80, I skipped a gas stop just west of Winnemucca because I was sure there was a station at the next junction where I was getting off the freeway to get to Yosemite the back way. There was no station there, and we had to make it to Fallon across the most desolate 2 lane, 110 degree desert you can imagine. The Jackrabbits were wearin' canteens!!! The R quit reading when it got down to 20 miles and was flashing at me to get gas now dumb-ass!! When I coasted into the Chevron there, I put in 6.2 gallons. My fault, I should have stopped earlier...lesson learned.

Peter A you just answered you own question about running out of gas, read your post.
Shriner Jim you also said you have run out of gas twice, I think you all are confused you state you don't think you should carry extra gas but then both of you talk about running out of gas??? Maybe it's me that is confused.

IMO any one considering to carry gasoline on board their trike should first torch off 1 gal. of gas in a sealed container.

I have seen it. It aint pretty! but, its your a$$.

me , im stopping for gas around every 100-120 miles. the wife is ready for a break by then anyway

Peter A you just answered you own question about running out of gas, read your post.
Shriner Jim you also said you have run out of gas twice, I think you all are confused you state you don't think you should carry extra gas but then both of you talk about running out of gas??? Maybe it's that is confused.

I think they said they learned a lesson and won't do that again. Also 1 or 2 times out of how many thousands of trips? ? Not bad odds.
I do not want to chance gas fumes in my trunk = + a spark = BOOM!!!
I know they say they're leakproof, I'm just not taking the chance. Besides they take up too much valuable space....and I need all I can get........ and I ride solo.

How far is a pint or quart of gas going to get you - maybe 8 miles??

A very astute observation Gary - I've been riding for approx. 50 years with
50 thou. on my trike and over 260 thou. on my current 2-wheeler......I truely
hope that ALL riders can ride as many trouble free miles as I have all these years!
The VER BEST TO ALL, :)

"won't do that again" does that mean they wanted to run out of gas the first time or two. I don't think anyone ever wants to run out of gas. That's like having a wreck and saying damn that was not fun I'm not going to do that again. I don't carry a pint I carry a gallon and by the way I have never run out of gas and have never needed the extra gallon, but I have come real close and did not like it. I also ride with five gallons between my legs.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back