portable gas can in trunk of trike

"won't do that again" does that mean they wanted to run out of gas the first time or two. I don't think anyone ever wants to run out of gas. That's like having a wreck and saying damn that was not fun I'm not going to do that again. I don't carry a pint I carry a gallon and by the way I have never run out of gas and have never needed the extra gallon, but I have come real close and did not like it. I also ride with five gallons between my legs.

:Agree:

Already riding something with 5-6 gallons of fuel between your legs. What's another gallon going to do to you if your involved in a wreck? :Shrug:

The leaking fuel from your fuel tank with the vapors ( which is what catches fire and burns ) will ignite first because its going to be leaking on a very hot engine or exhaust pipe long before a plastic gas can will light off.

Lakeman, no it means they are more aware of running out now and won't let it happen again. Just a thought.
A gallon? - that's even more wasted space - - for me.
Now if I were going to Alaska - I think that would be required for that trip.

Maybe without the weight of that gallon of gas, you might be able to go a few more miles down the road to a gas station. :D :D

Good luck to you both. Hope nothing ever happens with your containers. ThumbUp

I'm eliminating one "potential" problem. So instead of worrying about two issues - I only have one. :)

BTW, do you carry extra fuel in your car trunks also??? Just in case??? Just curious.

I've always been nervous about folks who carry extra fuel in plastic fuel tanks etc.

My friends and I ride Gl1800's which in the two wheel configuration will have a range of around 240 miles.

I triked an 1800 with the CSC kit and added the auxillary fuel tank for a total of 10 US gallons and a maximum range (my trike) of around 330 miles. Triking does take it's toll on fuel economy.

I've now repeatedly kept fuel consumption records and am comfortable that if I average around 65 mph and not bucking winds, I'll continue to enjoy a good range. I've added a fuel siphoning hose to my tool kit so that if I encounter someone out of fuel I can help them out.

We tend to ride long distances between fills so make a point of planning ahead for fuel stops - so far the planning has stood us in good stead - we've yet to run out of fuel!

With GPS's that give you fuel locations and smart phone apps that do the same (including fuel price information) one really should not run out of fuel if they elect to be prepared. IMHO
:GL1800::GL1800::GL1800::GL1800:

even with the trike conversion I get more mpg than my wifes bladder so I don't think I will be hauling gas.

I get the point of the 5 gal between my knees but I have a little control over the front end . I was hit from behind while stopped a few years ago. didn't see it coming, couldn't do anything about it. No explosion but got 5 broken ribs on my left side, a collapsed lung , and a broken collar bone. 3 months of r&r before I could even think about riding again.

my right side saddle bag split in two long ways. sure glad there wasn't any gas in it.:D

I see the pros and cons of either scenerio. The great thing is we can do whatever makes us comfortable - gas in trunk yes or no.

Like Calgary said, we have GPS units that will tell you where and what direction the closes gas station is. Life if great. ThumbUp

I still like the main/reserve/stop fuel switch myself. Hated it when they removed it....just another step to help in fightening forgetfulness. :D

With GPS's that give you fuel locations and smart phone apps that do the same (including fuel price information) one really should not run out of fuel if they elect to be prepared. IMHO

Now that reminds me of one of the times I came dang close to running out of gas. The wife and I was riding my 2 wheel Ultra Classic in the Wellsboro Pa area, decided to take roads I've never been on. At one point the wife needed to use a restroom so I stopped at a Burger King which was right next to a gas station, I debated topping my tank off but only had 80 miles so I knew I had at least another 80+ left so I didn't bother. After we had been out for awhile I decided it was time to look for gas, kept looking and kept looking. Decided I'd choose one from the GPS and head toward it. When my Zumo said arriving at destination on right it was a mountain side and a guard rail, so I choose the next station on the list, by then my low fuel light had been lit for 10 miles or so.

At one point I decided to check my cell phone service and there was none, I was in the sticks with no civilization even close by. When I finally come into a town my Zumo once again said arriving at destination on right, yep it was a gas station, a burnt down one. At that point I told the wife we would be hoofing it soon. I road into the little town and noticed a single gas pump on the sidewalk by what looked like a warehouse, so I kept riding until I stopped at a store to ask directions. One person said the nearest station was 5 - 10 miles out of town, another said there was a station in town. I ask he they were talking about the burnt down one, they told me the one they were talking about had a single gas pump. Sure enough it wasn't a warehouse but a little gas station in a real big building. Beggars couldn't be choosers so I put a couple gallons of 87 octane in the tank knowing the 10.1 compression engine was not going to be happy, it wasn't and it pinged like crazy.

I found that gas station about 8 miles out of town, closest I could figure I was down to about a tenth of a gallon of gas when I pumped that 87 crap into the tank. My lesson learned was get gas when the getting is good if you don't know the area.

I think we've overlooked something. Is it even legal to carry gas in the trunk? Maybe with an OSHA approved container it is???? I'm sure there's someplace that it isn't legal.

BTW, my trike runs great on 87 octane - all my Harleys did. Now with the '14 it looks like I'm going to have to use premiun......bummer.

good question.

if they (the po po ) have an old fart on a trike pulled over and have the right to search the trunk , you probley got more problems than a gas can. (just sayin.):D

msocko3 makes a good point - not all fuel stops shown on a GPS are still in business.

We're fairly serious about our long distance riding, so plan our fuel stops - part of the planning is to telephone all intended fuel stop locations to confirm they're in business and their hours of operation.

I understand that not everyone wants to be that disciplined and wishes to have more spontaneity by deciding which way to turn when they get to the next intersection, but to each his own.

Running out of fuel can put a damper on your riding fun - we just try to rule that part out. :) :)

:GL1800::GL1800::GL1800::GL1800:

I carry a 5 gallon gas can in the trunk, just in case. Also have a spare front and rear tire.... just in case. Then there is the spare fuel pump, throttle body, and master cylinder on the trailer, you know, just in case. Oh, and the roll-away with tools, you never know.

We have gone over 40,000 miles on the '09 trike, 66,000 on the Ultra, 80,000 on the Dyna, and God knows on the Springer (speedo broke at 88,000) and have never run out of gas. Wife almost did once when she rode the Sportster, but that was my fault, forgot how small her tank was.

I carry a 5 gallon gas can in the trunk, just in case. Also have a spare front and rear tire.... just in case. Then there is the spare fuel pump, throttle body, and master cylinder on the trailer, you know, just in case. Oh, and the roll-away with tools, you never know.

We have gone over 40,000 miles on the '09 trike, 66,000 on the Ultra, 80,000 on the Dyna, and God knows on the Springer (speedo broke at 88,000) and have never run out of gas. Wife almost did once when she rode the Sportster, but that was my fault, forgot how small her tank was.

OK! That proves that carrying all that spare gas and parts work :D.

Really, if anyone runs out of gas their just not paying attention, that's in a car or motorcycle.
it always cracks me up to see some one:qpnmt: walking down the road with a gas can, they never have time to stop at a gas station but always have time to walk to one when they run out of gas.

Obviously I was being silly in my answer. A couple of years ago someone now long gone asked what tools he should take, he was going on his first over-nighter. There were about 20 replies offering suggestions from a screwdriver and crescent wrench to a full socket set, multi-meters, and hand books. I mentioned that his trike was still under warranty, all he needed was the phone numbers of dealers near his travels. With electronic ignitions, fuel injection and computer controls the days of rebuilding your 'hog' on the side of the road are long gone. My suggestion, cell phone and a high limit credit card.

In nearly 50 years of riding I've been stuck 3 times. 2 flat tires and 1 melted ignition pick-up. Hello Auto Club.

I'm in contract negotiations with Exxon/Mobil to have one of their fuel tanker trucks follow me on any ride I'll be taking over 150 miles. The stickler now is I'm insisting on a rider clause requiring them to bring the truck to my house for all lawn equipment refueling.
Until they cave in I'll continue to carry my (2) one gallon plastic fuel containers on the tour pack rack while I straddle the 6 gallon fuel vapor cell. I'm confident Exxon/Mobil will give in soon making this all a moot discussion. After all they need me more than I need them right??

We are doing a trip this late spring 2 up that will include a stretch of 126 miles with no services (I've checked). That does not include a 25 mile excursion around a state park that we want to see along the way. This is an about 45 mph average speed road. Should I be able to do this on a 6 gallon tank? Yes. No problem, right? Well, when I am still 40 miles out in the middle of no where and my gas light is on, I will be glad I brought along an extra gallon of gas. ;)

Bring the extra fuel. I've rode in headwinds where I wouldn't have gotten 150 miles out of my 6 gallon tank. Granted my bike doesn't get the best fuel mileage, even for a trike but I'd rather have it and not need it than be walking. Besides When your 4-5 gallons down you've got a big fuel vapor cell between your legs. The most dangerous fuel tank isn't the fullest one. In an accident the partial full tank will spark off easier than the full one.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back