Portable compressor question

Nov 23, 2009
Novato, California
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm planning a 2 week trip for later this summer and my wife brought up the question of what happpens if we get a flat tire. I'm not concerned about in town flats but would want to be able to patch the tire and pump it up again if out in the sticks. Any advice as to the best compact compressor to look at and any advice on patch kits. Thanks in advance...Alan

I you are running tubeless tires you are usually able to repair on the spot and get going. I have two 12V compressors that I've never had to use. One is a Slime and I can't remember the other. I have seen the Slime used and it worked fine, in fact better than I would have thought.

You also have the option of using CO 2 cartridges but I've never had to use them either. If you go that route be sure to take plenty of them as it takes a few to fill you tire. You can also buy a can of air. I carry one but have never had to use it either.

In my experience one of the best options you have is the free tow insurance most insurance companies give. I did have a flat one time that could not be fixed on the spot. I called the tow insurance number I had and they were out there pretty quick. They towed me to a place where I could buy a tire.

I always carry my little compressor and hope it turns out to be waisted effort. But I have it if needed.

I've used the SLIME Compressor with Great Success, many, many times, along with the Stop and Go Mushroom Plugs.

The Compressor comes with both Clip On Cables for a 12V Battery, or a simple Hardwire to the Battery one. I hardwire all of mine, so I simply plug it in. I have patched some really bad punctures, a really long way from Home and gotten back with these two Items.....ThumbUp

When on 2 wheels with tubeless tires I had a plug gun and c02 cartridges I carried. Not that the trike has car tires I carry the "Fix a Flat" kit in the trunk. My theory is as long as I have something like that, I'll never get a flat. Like carrying a apare tire in your car, have one, nothing happens. Take it out and sure as hell you got a flat! Good Luck!

I have a compressor that runs from a 12 volt battery. I have a connection hanging out the side panel that i use to trickle-charge my trike all the time. I rewired the compressor to use the same plug. works great anywhere. I use the compressor with the trike running.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back