Pingel . . . Klictronic Electric Shifter Manual Backup

wheels

Rider
Feb 8, 2008
Baltimore
A few years ago I made this "backup" but somehow would always leave it home and not have it with me when I needed it. This year, as reported, I have had a "world" of problems with getting my shifter to work properly (thanks to some really observant friends I found that problem and will report on it in a later thread), yet I still managed to not carry this with me on the trike.

Well, finally got around to dressing it up a bit and my handy/dandy "manual" shifter is now LIVING in the trunk of the Hannigan, where there is plenty of room for it. So, thought I would share what I got. With many of today's trikes, the trunks are larger so you should be able to do the same, or, get/use a retractable rod.

I purchased a really cheap aluminium handled fishing dip net and cut it to size.
20141015_101624.jpg

20141015_101642.jpg

Once I got it cut, I took a pair of vice grips and flattened one end which I then drilled a 1" hole in that would fit over the bikes rubber shift lever. Once drilled I dressed it up a bit with a couple layers of electrical tape so as to keep it from digging into the rubber boot shift pad.
20141015_101659.jpg

After I slip the lever over the rubber boot of the shift pad, I than will use a zip tie that I will secure around the top of the Pingel and let it serve as a collar for the shift lever which will help to keep it in place as I need it.
20141015_101731.jpg

My hope is, however, that I will no longer need it as I believe the problem has been fixed . . . . . . . but, ya never know. Best to have a fall back plan just in case due to the many miles I ride solo.

Just an FYI. Of course you can pick a color that YOU like to dress it up. LOL

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back