Ok here goes, My first trike build

Still no fenders yet been back orderd, so I have been working on other little things like cleaning up rusty bolts and repainting them. And installing new handle bar grips, found the original style that was on the bike. Also need to find another set of header pipes my are rusted bad.

Very interesting . I am gathering pieces to star a V*1100 conversion. Have another swingarm and a 92 Toyota rear end. Like your reverse idea.
I have 2 trikes I'm working on. The other is a 2300cc ford/automatic.

Its nice to hear of someone else building a trike out of the xs1100, the reverse idea came to me in my sleep one nite. It also depends on how much room you have to put a flywheel. Like I said before I use to build and race all kinds of stockcars. Thats how I knew of the small flywheel in which is made by bert racing transmissions in Canada. I have mine all hooked up now and it works really good. So don't be a stranger and post some pics of your build on here so we all can see.

I was at a machine shop today picking up a set of cylinders which I had bored. Sitting on the work bench was several small flywheels being modified. They were manual clutch flywheels. He was machining the center and making an adapter. I asked the owner what they were for. Turns out, he has a Goldwing trike and has built several homemade trikes. He was modifying them to bolt on the yoke of a Ford rear end. Said he uses them for reverse on trikes. As I left, I saw a 750 honda homemade trike.

WOW that is interesting, I knew I didn"t corner the market on that one but to each their own I say. At least another way of doing reverse on a trike, and saving money.

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile but parts were slow coming in. got a mac exhaust system brand new for the trike now I need some chrome exhaust pipe, like about 2ft long 2 id so I can extend the mufflers out past the rear end.

I got the exhaust on, but will have to extend the pipes at least another foot. also picked up a self sticking rubber floor mat from harbor freight and cut it to fit the floor boards. now I am stuck on how to go about attaching the fenders I got. They were suppose to have backings on them but don't and can't get them that way I was told. Here are some pics, so if anyone has any ideas I am listening.

Looks like you are coming right along. I am building a jig for my rear end setup so if i want to build another one I can easily enough. My wife has a V*1100 also. Will probably copy your reverse idea. Though about one way gear on shaft and a motor from a wench, but can find out enough about one way gear/clutch as to whether it is strong enough to hold up under the weight of backing up trike and rpm of shaft when coasting. Yours will work. <br />
Have my front drive shaft now and will get u-joint this week. What gear ration is the rear end you are using? Trying to set up jig to acount for tire size. JR

my rear end gears are 3.77 and I am using 235/60/16 rims and tires. already had adjustable jig from when I was building and racing stock cars. just had to weld a couple of new plates in to make it work.

Ok I have tact welded backing plates on the fenders. Now trying to figure out how I want to attach them either to the frame or the axle housing. ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS?

I had the same idea for my old 1300 Voyager trike but have not found starter which has the shaft and gear low enough to mt it to rear end. Seams the body of starter will not let get close enough to drive the small flywheel gear and next step is full size gear with like 150 teeth. I will have to look at the suburu starter. Can you get a brighter pic of yours mounted there?

I sure can, you can also get a small flywheel for a 358 modified from your local speed shop or catolog like flag2flag.com muscle motor sports. daymotorsports.com behrents.com and of course ebay.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back