Oil Migration and Harley warranty

I feel so blessed when I read some of these comments.

I bought a used 2015 TG with 158 miles from a Honda dealer. I didn't buy the extended warranty and did most of the maintenance myself since then. I have had friends tell me about the dealership horrors they have encountered. The only problem I have had to pay for was to have my reverse motor rebuilt at the HD dealer in Lafayette, Indiana. The local HD shops wanted $1700 for a new motor and more for the labor. The Lafayette dealer did it for just over $500 including labor. I have had 2 new front tires that the local Southside Harley shop put on and that has been it. I do my own oil changes, switched out my battery with a Battery Plus battery, changed my front brakes, and changed my radiator fluid. My TG has always fired up, always ran great, always been dependable.

I guess God was just looking out for me since I really was such a fool about motorcycles. He made sure I got a good one!

Not too far from you. La Porte In. I bought my bike in Wisconsin. I,m hoping I have a good one. May GOD be looking down on me. Yea I do everything to mine too

I like the Techs there and the current SM is a straight up guy,they never want to give me enough for trade in or i would have bought from them,my last three bikes came from Piqua,including my current bike.

Went to piqua before purchase of the 20. Still much better trade & price at Richmond,In. Plus better service prices . Bought the last 4 bikes there. Family owned for 40-50 yrs.

Went to piqua before purchase of the 20. Still much better trade & price at Richmond,In. Plus better service prices . Bought the last 4 bikes there. Family owned for 40-50 yrs.

George was a good guy,always enjoyed sitting and talking to him,bought two bikes from him when he was at the old shop.I remember talking to him in 92 when i bought a Heritage from him and he said wont be long and you will see a $20,000 Harley.

So, I have a 18 Tri glide and will do some work but usually let the dealer do the service, don’t know if I have a problem or not, about 9000 miles, getting ready to take in for service and have a chrome front end put on, really like the guys at Smith brothers H-D and hopefully they would fix it if I have the issue, but should the vent be put in even without a problem? Going to ask about this when I take it in the next week or so. How should I approach this?

So, I have a 18 Tri glide and will do some work but usually let the dealer do the service, don’t know if I have a problem or not, about 9000 miles, getting ready to take in for service and have a chrome front end put on, really like the guys at Smith brothers H-D and hopefully they would fix it if I have the issue, but should the vent be put in even without a problem? Going to ask about this when I take it in the next week or so. How should I approach this?

According to Harley the shop will top off both primary and trans,then you put 1000 miles on it and return to the dealer and they will check the transmission fluid to see if it is low.Make sure that if they top off the transmission that it is at the top mark on the dip stick.

George was a good guy,always enjoyed sitting and talking to him,bought two bikes from him when he was at the old shop.I remember talking to him in 92 when i bought a Heritage from him and he said wont be long and you will see a $20,000 Harley.

Louise is still running the place & Son Greg is SM . Very good people. .

M8 Oil Migration Issue

For what it's worth, I called the dealer earlier this week and said pull my 2017 Tri Glide out of storage and do the 15k service, I'll pick it up next week. Got a call from them today and said the oil migration issue is happening on my trike. It's out of warranty and it's a $300+ job. They were going to "ask" Harley to cover it. I said I have an ESP with Discount ESP. I gave them the contract number and the claim phone number. Dealer did all of the leg work and called Discount ESP and found out that they "will" cover the Primary vent kit fix. I'm glad I bought the ESP.

Update: Dealer called back, and said since the fix is covered under my ESP, Harley replied and offered to pay the $50.00 deductible on my ESP. This fix won't cost me anything out of pocket.

For what it's worth, I called the dealer earlier this week and said pull my 2017 Tri Glide out of storage and do the 15k service, I'll pick it up next week. Got a call from them today and said the oil migration issue is happening on my trike. It's out of warranty and it's a $300+ job. They were going to "ask" Harley to cover it. I said I have an ESP with Discount ESP. I gave them the contract number and the claim phone number. Dealer did all of the leg work and called Discount ESP and found out that they "will" cover the Primary vent kit fix. I'm glad I bought the ESP.

Update: Dealer called back, and said since the fix is covered under my ESP, Harley replied and offered to pay the $50.00 deductible on my ESP. This fix won't cost me anything out of pocket.

Well that's fantastic news. Glad it's working out for you.

The last time i had my trike in for this issue the dealer said the factory would not ok the vent kit because there was a discrepency in the amount of oil in the primary and transmission.Then to add insult to injury i had to pay to have the two fluids drained,measured then topped off:mad:.I have owned only HD since 1990 and its sad to see where the company has ended up.

I agree. I just bought a used 2019 Tri Glide and probably should have done better research on the company itself. I would not be surprised if Harley is bankrupt within the next 3-4 years if not sooner. Harley Davidson is in real bad financial shape. My bike had 5800 miles on it when purchased and had yet to develop the oil migration issue. The dealer said it should have happened by now. Hopefully it will not happen but at least I still have a full year warranty left on it to find out.

warranty

Last Saturday went out for a ride and did about 270 miles. Checked the oil in my trike and engine was fine, tranny was just touching the bottom of the full mark. This was on a cold engine. Came home parked the trike in the garage, yesterday I go out to check the oil because I was going out to day, engine fine tranny doesn't show on the dipstick. Go to my dealer and talked to service writers, was told to bring it in and we will check it. This morning I loaded it on my trailer and hauled it to the dealer and service writer say I'll call Harley and we will put the primary vent in. They had the kits on hand. About an hour and half later got a call from the dealer and was told Harley would not cover installing the vent kit. My bike had been flagged by another dealership that I had been to about 6 months after I bought my trike. I had install the power vision tuner and Harley had cancelled my warranty. Was told today that the extended warranty WILL NOT cover the installation of the vent kit. So I bought the vent kit for $52 and change and I will be installing it next week. The dealership wanted $366 and change for the complete installation.

Sorry about your problem but i dont understand why someone would install things that they know would void their warranty

So, took my 18 Tri glide in for service and to have a chrome front end installed @ smith brothers Harley-Davidson in Johnson city, TN on my list of things to ask about was the oil migration issue and having the vent installed but of course I forgot to mention it, but much to my surprise when I went to pay and the were going over the bill they had already installed the filter under harley recall. Have always liked these guys and think I have found a great dealer.

So, took my 18 Tri glide in for service and to have a chrome front end installed @ smith brothers Harley-Davidson in Johnson city, TN on my list of things to ask about was the oil migration issue and having the vent installed but of course I forgot to mention it, but much to my surprise when I went to pay and the were going over the bill they had already installed the filter under harley recall. Have always liked these guys and think I have found a great dealer.

I agree wholeheartedly. Needed some work last fall when I was in the area for the H.O.G. rally and was fortunate to find this dealer. Great bunch of folks there. Strong staff that has been with this dealer for the long term. That makes a tremendous difference. Never experienced customer service of this level before. You are fortunate to have them as your local dealer.

2nd Update: I picked up the trike today and the dealer said that Harley picked up the tab for the Primary vent fix and their $100.00 deductible as it is a known problem. Nice since my factory warranty expired 10 months ago. They didn't use my Discount ESP at all. Either way it runs great and nothing out of my pocket.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddienorman
Back