New to Trike many questions.

"I have never ridden a Trike..not even a test ride so I am taking a leap of faith that I will like it and that I can learn to ride it well"

Why? Every dealer anywhere will have a Trike you can ride. Sorry and not trying to be rude....But either you just have way too much money to burn or.....or don't care enough to make an educated choice.

Friction shocks

The friction shock is suppose to replace the rake to have more control at low speeds. It does it fairly well I think.
I have a mystery that is close to the same length as the freewheeler with a 6 degree rake. It really is a over kill because of how short it is. It does really have some serious power steering. I would rather have a rake on it instead but the friction shocks works good.

Pardon my ignorance but I have 60 thou.+ miles on my HD trike (2010) and have never heard of 'friction shocks' - fill me in!
:vxtyaq:

I have been riding motorcycles for 35 years and have now decided I want a Trike. I have sold my 2014 Ultra limited and ordered a 2016 Tri Glide for delivery in September. I have never ridden a Trike..not even a test ride so I am taking a leap of faith that I will like it and that I can learn to ride it well. A couple of questions:
  • I hear the front wheel wiggles a little until you get up to a certain speed. Is this a little scary at first?
  • Because the bike is so much heavier than my Ultra is acceleration from a start to 60 mph a lot slower or is it closes to the ultra?
  • I read you must keep both hands on the bars in turns....does this mean any turn even mild ones?
  • On a straight road can you remove both hands from the bars and have the bike track fairly straight?
  • I am desperately looking to find well laid out parking lot excercises using cones so I can practice. I found some from the Gold Wing Trike riders group but they don't give me and measurements as to how far apart to place the cones.
  • My biggest concern is after so many years of riding motorcycles that I will come up on a right hand turn and push the right hand bar sending me and the trike the wrong way and into traffic. I know many of you folks went to Trikes after years of two wheelers. Can you tell me how you dealt with it?
  • I just discovered it looks like the bike does not come with a CB. Was the antenna installed in the bike there when you bought it or did you need to add that as well.
Thanks in advance for the guidance
\\

#1 No it isn't scary because there very little if any wobble
#2 It loses some power but not enough to really bother you.
#3 You will figure this out for yourself. You can make a turn with one hand if you are comfortable doing it. Your comfort and skill level will figure this out for you.
#4 No clue. I practiced in a parking lot but all I went by were the lines for the parking spaces and the lanes.
#5 I rode 2 wheels for 49 years and the right hand turns never caused me any problem at all when I went to 3 wheels. Never once did I attempt to make a right hand turn by pushing the bars left.
#6 Never had a CB and never wanted one so I'm of no help there. Never had or wanted a radio either.

"I have never ridden a Trike..not even a test ride so I am taking a leap of faith that I will like it and that I can learn to ride it well"

Why? Every dealer anywhere will have a Trike you can ride. Sorry and not trying to be rude....But either you just have way too much money to burn or.....or don't care enough to make an educated choice.

You are being rude. I have ridden motorcycles for about 40 years and never rode one until I bought one either. I want a trike so I bought one and yes I do have lots of money but I don't think that makes me a bad person.

Is there any reason why you can't test-ride a Tri-Glide at a dealer,before you take delivery of your 2016? Honest question.

JC please dont be upset because you were out of line ..we all do it. The nearest dealer to me that still has a triglide in stock is another province away and they will not let you road test their bikes in the showroom. You assumed every dealer had one but that is not the case. I am far from stupid but I somehow offended you, so you decided to call me stupid. Not to worry I have met many people like you and somewhat understand your need to be hostile. I bought the tri glide without riding one as I have 100 percent confidence that I can learn to ride one. Most folks on the forum seem willing to help me without judging me. Can I ask you to do the same.

The nearest dealer to me that still has a triglide in stock is another province away and they will not let you road test their bikes in the showroom. You assumed every dealer had one but that is not the case.

That's why I asked as I'm sure Canada doesn't have a H-D dealer on every corner,like there is here.

Friction shocks and dampers are almost the same thing. Friction shocks were used post war, 1930's. Only real difference is a damper usualky has a manual adjustmen as where a friction shock does not. A friction shock is free moving untill a sudden jerk etc.. then it restricts the movement. Maybe im just getting old and remember older things to much. 😂

Friction shocks and dampers are almost the same thing. Friction shocks were used post war, 1930's. Only real difference is a damper usualky has a manual adjustmen as where a friction shock does not. A friction shock is free moving untill a sudden jerk etc.. then it restricts the movement. Maybe im just getting old and remember older things to much. 😂

thanks for the definition. the tri uses a friction stop then because there is not an adjustment to them

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tool
Back