New to Trike many questions.

Jun 27, 2015
kitchener
I have been riding motorcycles for 35 years and have now decided I want a Trike. I have sold my 2014 Ultra limited and ordered a 2016 Tri Glide for delivery in September. I have never ridden a Trike..not even a test ride so I am taking a leap of faith that I will like it and that I can learn to ride it well. A couple of questions:
  • I hear the front wheel wiggles a little until you get up to a certain speed. Is this a little scary at first?
  • Because the bike is so much heavier than my Ultra is acceleration from a start to 60 mph a lot slower or is it closes to the ultra?
  • I read you must keep both hands on the bars in turns....does this mean any turn even mild ones?
  • On a straight road can you remove both hands from the bars and have the bike track fairly straight?
  • I am desperately looking to find well laid out parking lot excercises using cones so I can practice. I found some from the Gold Wing Trike riders group but they don't give me and measurements as to how far apart to place the cones.
  • My biggest concern is after so many years of riding motorcycles that I will come up on a right hand turn and push the right hand bar sending me and the trike the wrong way and into traffic. I know many of you folks went to Trikes after years of two wheelers. Can you tell me how you dealt with it?
  • I just discovered it looks like the bike does not come with a CB. Was the antenna installed in the bike there when you bought it or did you need to add that as well.
Thanks in advance for the guidance

There is no wiggle on my 05 1300 VTX. You can put a Damper on yours if you have any shake.

You will not notice and difference in acceleration.

Steering is push-pull. No leaning. Yes you can do one hand slight slow turns.

No you can't remove both hands. You could on your two wheeler because you were steering with your weight. You cannot correct the steering by leaning on the trike. Mine runs to the right but I got used to it.

I bought mine never having driven one. I got on in the dealer parking lot and just drove it around. you wanna turn left you turn the bars left.

No thinking about it.

You are on your one with the CB. I don't know anybody that uses one. lots have them. None i know use them.

VTX done 005.JPG

First off, congratulations on getting a trike. It will definitely be different, but soon enough you'll wonder why you waited so long. I will answer some of your questions as it relates to my TriGlide (other trikes may vary depending on what they've done to them):

They are equipped with a steering damper, so wobble is almost nonexistent. At slow speeds it handles like a Porche - a light input to the bars will turn the trike, but at higher speeds that goes away.

TriGlides weigh almost 400 more pounds than an Ultra, so yes it's slower off the line, but once it gets going, it'll keep up with the two wheelers just fine.

Just ride figure 8's until you feel comfortable, then tighten them up. You'll be amazed at how stable the trike is making turns.

Practice on the lot until you feel comfortable then hit the streets. Everyone is different in how long they took to feel comfortable, but most will tell you around 500 miles.

Enjoy the new ride!!

First off, congratulations on getting a trike. It will definitely be different, but soon enough you'll wonder why you waited so long. I will answer some of your questions as it relates to my TriGlide (other trikes may vary depending on what they've done to them):

They are equipped with a steering damper, so wobble is almost nonexistent. At slow speeds it handles like a Porche - a light input to the bars will turn the trike, but at higher speeds that goes away.

TriGlides weigh almost 400 more pounds than an Ultra, so yes it's slower off the line, but once it gets going, it'll keep up with the two wheelers just fine.

Just ride figure 8's until you feel comfortable, then tighten them up. You'll be amazed at how stable the trike is making turns.

Practice on the lot until you feel comfortable then hit the streets. Everyone is different in how long they took to feel comfortable, but most will tell you around 500 miles.

Enjoy the new ride!!

Thanks Goslo

I have been rideing two wheels for 50+ years. Had my RSV converted last year and took off. Yes there is a learning curve but I think you worry too much.
Just take it easy at first. You will catch on quickly.

I did pretty much the same thing last Dec ... kind of a shock at first ... it's a different beast ... bigger, heavier, maybe a tad slower ... my 15 with the HO 103 water heads is every bit as peppy as my 11 Ultra was, maybe more so. From a 14 Ultra you probably will see a slight drop in off the line peep. I got used to mine in about 100 mies, fell in love with it almost immediately. :D

The trikes carry more "stuff" ... you can ride them where you can't comfortably ride 2. I'm surprised you can order a 16.

New colors aren't even out yet are they?

I guess if your getting vivid black, that never changes.

You'll love the trike

Ride safe

Welcome glad you joined us. No cones req'd just find a parking lot and practice doing figure 8's. Starting big and working to smaller. After riding about 200 miles a lot of your ?'S will be answered. RIDE SAFE

No wobble in front end of Tri-Glide (who told you that?). Slight turns can be made with either hand. I don't try to keep up with the 2-wheelers...ride my own ride! Just ask Trent and Kevin (lol)....those 2 hotrodders went off and left me in the mountains! You will love the trike and bet we can't wipe that smile off your face!!! Haven't seen a brochure with the 2016 Tri-Glide....what color did you get?

No wobble in front end of Tri-Glide (who told you that?). Slight turns can be made with either hand. I don't try to keep up with the 2-wheelers...ride my own ride! You will love the trike and bet we can't wipe that smile off your face!!! Haven't seen a brochure with the 2016 Tri-Glide....what color did you get?

I don't think the 16 colors are even announced yet .. usually August at the dealer show.

I did pretty much the same thing last Dec ... kind of a shock at first ... it's a different beast ... bigger, heavier, maybe a tad slower ... my 15 with the HO 103 water heads is every bit as peppy as my 11 Ultra was, maybe more so. From a 14 Ultra you probably will see a slight drop in off the line peep. I got used to mine in about 100 mies, fell in love with it almost immediately. :D

The trikes carry more "stuff" ... you can ride them where you can't comfortably ride 2. I'm surprised you can order a 16.

New colors aren't even out yet are they?

I guess if your getting vivid black, that never changes.

You'll love the trike

Ride safe

Canadian dealers have the colour charts but that is all. They are ordering 2016 models now as they start delivering them in late August. I ordered solid black. Dealers don't even know much else until their Dealer Meeting in mid August.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think the 16 colors are even announced yet .. usually August at the dealer show.

I ordered black. They do have the colour charts now but nothing else.

Canadian dealers have the colour charts but that is all. They are ordering 2016 models now as they start delivering them in late August. I ordered solid black. Dealers don't even know much else until their Dealer Meeting in mid August.

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered black. They do have the colour charts now but nothing else.

So give us a hint ... what are the new colors?

When i got my first trike 7+ years ago after biking for over 30 years the only learning curve i had was' To stop putting my foot down at a stops'' And being careful not to knock over the pumps with the rear tire when pulling into a gas station.. Or running over the attendants feet. They kinda found on that.:Shrug: If you ever rode an ATC- ATV or a Snowmobile its just about the same..ThumbUp

After a lifetime on 2 I wondered why I didnt go 3 earlier. I did about 450 mile on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was in a driving rainstorm off and on. All our stuff was safely in the trunk and tourpack. We almost never put anything on the rack anymore. Gravel and sand are nonplayers, we ride them like asphalt. Sunday was tiwsties and a stop for local peaches. Plenty of room for everything.

The posts above are all excellent. One caveat, off ramps and on ramps give me issues because getting on the interstatre I want to go ahead and get up to speed, sometimes before getting straightened out and I get understeer. Off ramps, I sometimes forget to slow down.

Good luck with your and enjoy the experience. Post often, especially pics

Steve

I have had numerous 2 wheelers and 2 trikes. I am able to switch back and forth between 2 wheels and 3 wheels without any problems and you will most likely not have any problems after a few miles on 3 wheels. Just remember that you have two wheels sticking out in the rear when you are pulling up to a gas pump or cutting a corner and don't put you foot down when you stop. You will get used to it in no time and will enjoy the ride. It is a different riding experience that you will enjoy.

My Freewheeler is plenty fast and agile. Right now it is the only motorcycle I have and I don't know if I will get another 2 wheelers or not. I don't have to worry about gravel, wet leaves, sand, etc. like on 2 wheels. This is especially good when I have the wife with me.

When you get your trike do a few practice turns, circle 8s and stops in a parking lot and then ride a few miles on some back streets and you will be good to go.

Sunman

Honda's do not have steering dampers. I don't know why Harley does. I guessing it is the differance in the longer wheel base of the Honda VS the Harley and no rake kit on the front. I have a 6 degree rake on the front. Rake = power steering. After about ten min your gonna say "Why didn't I do this years ago!"

Attachments

• VTX done 005.JPG
    VTX done 005.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 67
Honda's do not have steering dampers. I don't know why Harley does. I guessing it is the differance in the longer wheel base of the Honda VS the Harley and no rake kit on the front. I have a 6 degree rake on the front. Rake = power steering. After about ten min your gonna say "Why didn't I do this years ago!"

Just FYI TRI's have 3.5% of rake in the triple trees.

No wobble in front end of Tri-Glide (who told you that?). Slight turns can be made with either hand. I don't try to keep up with the 2-wheelers...ride my own ride! Just ask Trent and Kevin (lol)....those 2 hotrodders went off and left me in the mountains! You will love the trike and bet we can't wipe that smile off your face!!! Haven't seen a brochure with the 2016 Tri-Glide....what color did you get?

I had no problem keeping up with a few rice rockets on the BRP last year. Just for giggles I thought I'd give it a try. I pulled in behind them and stayed with them for about 7 miles until they turned off at an overlook. I received a few thumbs up as I rode past. :D

On my Route 66 trip 2 weeks ago and again on my SS1000 return, I did a lot of no hands riding (eating, scratching, stretching, etc.)= no problems. It did seem to pull to the right ever so slightly. But unlike a 2 wheeler, you can't use your body to shift back. Just grab the grips and give a little tug to the left cured it for a while.

Triglide

Congrats, you will wonder why you waited so long, very easy to get the fell of the trike. The ride is very relaxing you will ride longer and not feel so tired. we have had three trikes and will never look back. Have fun and enjoy the ride. Tri glider.

The friction shock is suppose to replace the rake to have more control at low speeds. It does it fairly well I think.
I have a mystery that is close to the same length as the freewheeler with a 6 degree rake. It really is a over kill because of how short it is. It does really have some serious power steering. I would rather have a rake on it instead but the friction shocks works good.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tool
Back