New engine and oil usage

If that much oil went through the exhaust, they probable should replace the cat and O2 sensors. Or at less make a note of it as oil deteriorates both parts.

What they should do and what they will do are two different things and what they will tell you is what are you worried about if we put it all together and it breaks again it’s under warranty! I’ve been through that with them it’s not just them it’s all manufactures they don’t trust the dealers just like you don’t trust the dealers…. More than likely if they listen to the dealer they would want Harley to give the customer a brand new engine right out of the box…

My money is on the wrong installation of the oil ring

If the expander part of the ring is not butted up the top lands will push in too far not allowing oil to flow thru the ring and piston, returning to the crankcase

This will move the oil past the rings and pistons to the cylinder

ThumbUpThumbUp

If the expander part of the ring is not butted up the top lands will push in too far not allowing oil to flow thru the ring and piston, returning to the crankcase

Thanks..Jack….You can Splane things better then I ever can .….👍👍….

That's it Jack, the oil ring was installed upside down

Engine was put back together today and run through several heat cycles, it was late so they will test drive tomorrow but we have Dr. appointments so will pick it up the following day. New plugs installed and an oil and filter change also. So looking forward to getting back in the saddle even if we have to break it back in for 500 miles as they suggest.

If they did several heat cycles, your new rings are already on their way to seating, ride your trike, change the oil in 1K miles and look for debris from the re break in

Best of luck on your new top end

Lol, afraid not Bill, we will be in Ohio driving the cage, we will miss everyone for sure.

Some very good news !!! We put on about 190 miles over the weekend and no oil usage, before they did the work I would have been down about 10-12 ounces. After the new rings were done and the oil changed they put a marker on the dipstick where the oil level was when hot. I checked as soon as we get home from our ride and the oil level was right at the mark, hoooray.

Some very good news !!! We put on about 190 miles over the weekend and no oil usage, before they did the work I would have been down about 10-12 ounces. After the new rings were done and the oil changed they put a marker on the dipstick where the oil level was when hot. I checked as soon as we get home from our ride and the oil level was right at the mark, hoooray.

ThumbUp----:clapping:...

Oil burner

That is great news I hope it stays that way for you.My 20 TG burnes a quart about every 4000 miles. Been that way sentence new. I have 19,000 miles on it.

Gary, is that Syn 3 in your trike?

Yes Jack, that's what they put in for the oil change, I've always used Redline but we shall see how things shake out. I've got about 700 more miles before the 5K checkup and another oil change.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back