My New Ramps - aks 'Poor Man's Lift Table'

ultrafxr

1250+ Posts
Gold Member
Aug 21, 2017
Lakeland, TN
Someone on this forum posted about a set of ramps he built for his trike. Sorry I cannot locate the thread but thanks to him for the ideas. So I built myself a set a couple months ago but haven't had a chance to use them yet. Today was very warm and sunny and my TG was very grungy from a recent 1,600 mile road trip so I decided to wash and detail it. Thought getting it a bit up in the air would aid greatly in getting the underside cleaned . . . and it did. Here is a pic of it on the ramps ready for a wash:

IMG_3520.jpg

I made the ramps pretty long so I made a hinge to move the rear portion from under the motor area. That is important when changing fluids and it also helped in cleaning under the motor today.

IMG_3521.jpg

Here is a shot of the right side with the hinged portion moved from directly under the trike. It will of course move fully out and align with the portion of the ramp which is under the front wheel so I have total access to the underside.

IMG_3518.jpg

Here is a close up of the hinge.

IMG_3519.jpg

The boards for the ramp that fit the rear wheels are 2 x 10 material while that for the front wheel is 2 x 8 material.

IMG_3522.jpg

IMG_3523.jpgause

I have three sections to the ramp. The bottom section is 51". The center section is 39". The top section is 30". I choose these dimensions because I could get them all from a 10' (120") piece of material.

IMG_3524.jpg

IMG_3525.jpg

IMG_3526.jpg

It's overkill I know but I did not want any chance for a problem while driving up on it and this gives me plenty of flat area to traverse the sections one at a time. The angle cuts are 45 degrees but I probably could have made them a bit shallower since the ramps are so long. The board sections are screwed together with 3" exterior deck screws.

All in all I'm very pleased. These buggers are heavy but very sturdy. I think I'll enjoy using them for maintenance and cleaning.

I did the same, except I do have to jack my bike up high enough to place under each wheel.....

I had a 2x10 board, that I cut (6) 1 ft. boards, and screwed two boards together so now I have (3) 4" high board but I have to jack my bike up and place the three sections under each wheel..

I like your idea better!

Ronnie

That is looking pretty good there, just curious, do you plan on painting or staining the ramps since you use it to clean the trike, wood and water doesn't really mix well, I'm sure it would take awhile to rot but hindsight is better to last forever and if painted or stained it can be touched up

All for now Trampas

That is looking pretty good there, just curious, do you plan on painting or staining the ramps since you use it to clean the trike, wood and water doesn't really mix well, I'm sure it would take awhile to rot but hindsight is better to last forever and if painted or stained it can be touched up

All for now Trampas

Good idea. I do have some clear sealer I bought to use on a new door for my wife's sauna (infrared heated).

Very nice ... I need to get hot on a set of those ... I can't remember who posted these dimensions .. but i saved them and wanted to try them ... your idea is easy to build and looks to be plenty strong (overkill is good) :D

Theses where posted awhile ago, should of saved the poster and the pics ... looked good.

My dimensions:

2x12 boards for sides and ends

each section is 2 feet x 64 inches with 4 sections with a ramp

Ramp is 6 feet long, don't make it any shorter or you will drag, 3 sections under ramp for support.

Called for 3/4 inch ply wood, I used 21/32 inch

It is stackable. Once you have the trike/bike on it you can remove the 2 center sections for getting under for work.

Cost was $145, cost may differ

I used the cut off pieces for the 2x12 for extra support where the jack goes in 2 locations.

I also considered making my trailer a work table ... just a section removable to get under there.

I did the same, except I do have to jack my bike up high enough to place under each wheel.....

I had a 2x10 board, that I cut (6) 1 ft. boards, and screwed two boards together so now I have (3) 4" high board but I have to jack my bike up and place the three sections under each wheel..

I like your idea better!

Ronnie

3 steel or aluminum car ramps also work

That would scare me also. Had some car ramps years ago and really didn't like driving up on them and not being able to see. Just had to trust I'd feel the tires drop down into the shallow well at the top and not overshoot the ramp. Doing on the TG would have me puckered for a month!

That would scare me also. Had some car ramps years ago and really didn't like driving up on them and not being able to see. Just had to trust I'd feel the tires drop down into the shallow well at the top and not overshoot the ramp. Doing on the TG would have me puckered for a month!

I saw a car backed up on ramps once

The guy had the drive shaft out to service the joints

The car rolled down the ramps and out the door

That was when I promised my self I would never use ramps:p

I saw a car backed up on ramps once

The guy had the drive shaft out to service the joints

The car rolled down the ramps and out the door

That was when I promised my self I would never use ramps:p

See.....Like my Old Man would always say........A ''Truly'' wise man learns by the mistakes of others....Not by his own mistakes...:D.....

See.....Like my Old Man would always say........A ''Truly'' wise man learns by the mistakes of others....Not by his own mistakes...:D.....

My dad was a mechanic ( unlike parts changers today)

He taught me how when I was young, if he ever saw me doing something that stupid he would slap me upside da head:p

No problem riding rear's up two ramps.....don't have the nerve to try a third for the front.:AGGHH:

For some jobs my smaller 2 1/2" low profile heavy-duty plastic ramps are all that's needed.

No problem riding rear's up two ramps.....don't have the nerve to try a third for the front.:AGGHH:

For some jobs my smaller 2 1/2" low profile heavy-duty plastic ramps are all that's needed.

Really no big deal. I was a bit anxious until I started up and realized I could lean out a bit and see the front wheel and the ramp with no problem. Driving up it blind gave me pause but when I discovered I could see what was going on and verify that the front wheel was on the ramp . . . well no problem at all.
icon14.png

Yea, I was thinking of the post above on regular sized ramps, but didn't quote it...:laugh:

I probably wouldn't have much difficulty doing three with the ones you built.....but, with my lack of woodworking skills, I could never build them....with woodworking hand and power tools, I'm like a monkey fumbling a football.:D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back