Monument Valley, Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Sedona, Jerome etc

Jan 10, 2014
Leander, Texas, USA
Monument Valley, Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Sedona, Jerome etc

We just got home from your trip. Had an awesome time. Butt is sore, feet and ankles are swollen. But an awesome trip. If you are interested, here is a slide show of the Grand Canyon. We rode for about 6-7 hours in 109 temps yesterday. Had to stop really fast on the side of IH10, my wife was about to pass out. Soaked my cool vest in ice water and put it on her head and neck to cool her down.

Other rides from this trip as well. Have not gotten all of them done yet.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy--Ja3SRhKeKL8BDXcd57Q/videos

Nice pics. I hope you camped there. I've done that twice. Makes it easier to go hiking on the paths less travelled.
And women. One minute too cold, next too hot. Never happy. Try bungy cords. Good for keeping passed out passengers from falling off.:qpnmt:

Great pics Jim, it's been a few years since we were there, brought back some memories, thanks!

Nice pics. I hope you camped there. I've done that twice. Makes it easier to go hiking on the paths less travelled.
And women. One minute too cold, next too hot. Never happy. Try bungy cords. Good for keeping passed out passengers from falling off.:qpnmt:

No we did not camp there, I would assume those cabins are booked long in advance. I would love to stay there, but I may not ever want to leave. I am glad she went before me, when I stopped, I was nauseous as well.

At an older age, riding in the HOT Texas summer sun, we have discovered that it is REALLY important to stay hydrated - even if you don't feel thirsty. And, as you said, use that cool jacket. We were riding from Lubbock to Midland one day -107 degrees - actually considered stopping at a cheap motel for the afternoon but instead (they had not invented cool jackets at that time), stopped at car washes in each little town and wet each other down (not the bikes). Dang near froze to death driving at 70mph until we started to dry out - then stopped again at the next car wash. I can only imagine how HOT it was on your Arizona trip - they were having record temps at that time. WHEW!!

At an older age, riding in the HOT Texas summer sun, we have discovered that it is REALLY important to stay hydrated - even if you don't feel thirsty. And, as you said, use that cool jacket. We were riding from Lubbock to Midland one day -107 degrees - actually considered stopping at a cheap motel for the afternoon but instead (they had not invented cool jackets at that time), stopped at car washes in each little town and wet each other down (not the bikes). Dang near froze to death driving at 70mph until we started to dry out - then stopped again at the next car wash. I can only imagine how HOT it was on your Arizona trip - they were having record temps at that time. WHEW!!

Yes, that is what I was telling my wife, stay hydrated even you do not feel thirsty. Amazing how the sun and heat can drain fluids from your body really fast. Hard to find shade anywhere out there. We even stopped at a Walmart at 4PM and I stood in the refrigerator section to cool off. Went to get some food to kill some time. We left again at 7PM and it was still 108. Had to go just 100 miles and stopped for the night. Cold shower felt incredible that night.

Ha! The Walmart deal sounds familiar. We were riding around Garner State Park, Uvalde and Hondo one Labor Day weekend - it was HOT. We stopped in Walmart at Hondo and spent the hotter part of the afternoon S-L-O-W-L-Y walking up and down every aisle - several times - examining LOTS of stuff very carefully - then back to camp at Garner where we cooled down in the Frio. We had bought a small oscillating fan at Walmart and when we finally went to bed put wet towels over us with the fan on high blowing directly on us. Sure makes you appreciate that A/C.

No we did not camp there, I would assume those cabins are booked long in advance. I would love to stay there, but I may not ever want to leave. I am glad she went before me, when I stopped, I was nauseous as well.
Not cabins (probably are booked a year out). Tenting it. Yep, I said it. Getting a cabin is like getting a buggier version of a Motel 6. OK, maybe same amount of bugs.

Had a friend who used a wet snowmobile suit when riding in hot low humidity areas. Said he had to keep it unzipped or he'd freeze. Carried extra water to keep the suit wet. Lived a short time in far west Texas - loved the climate.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grimpen
Back