M8 MPG

Ridernut

50+ Posts
Dec 25, 2014
Lorena, Texas, USA
Seriously thinking about getting an M8 Freewheeler. Fuel economy is important to since I like to make long runs between fill-ups. My wife has a 16 Tri-glide and 35 mpg is as good as it gets, usually less. What kind of mileage are you M8 owners getting and with what type of riding? Thanks for your help.

Joe

I havnt reached 1000 miles on mine yet. But fuel is dismal.Averaging 31.5 at last fillup.BUT-most of my riding has been around town,stop n go,running errands.With about 10 miles per trip on a 4 lane.Im not complaining.These are big inch motors moving a 1000 pound + vehicle.To put things into perspective.I took on 1400 pounds of diesel (100 gal tanks on each side) and I'm averaging 4.5 miles per gallon.Things don't seem so bad now eh?

43-50 mpg depending on how heavy handed you are

I average 44.7 most of the time, I do tend to wind it out in the gears;)
That's probably because you ride like someone that still my have some sanity left.I don't suffer from that affliction.I rip from one stop light to another.I just can't help it. This M8 is the smoothest,tourqe-y-est motor HD ever built.Its an addiction I tell you.An addiction!

That's probably because you ride like someone that still my have some sanity left.I don't suffer from that affliction.I rip from one stop light to another.I just can't help it. This M8 is the smoothest,tourqe-y-est motor HD ever built.Its an addiction I tell you.An addiction!

Nah, a lot of hiway miles wound out

Your mileage SHOULD get better once you get on the road and set the cruise;)

1 thing I like is you can shift into 6th gear @ 50 mph without lugging

My guess is the knock sensors retard the timing enough

Never calculated it.... it has a gas gauge that lets me know when to feed it... That said, I understand the range between fill ups. I have not done it with this vehicle, but on my Electra Glide sidecar rig, I used to carry a fuel canister behind the passenger seat. They are available from a number of sources. The FLRT trunk has plenty of room for that if you want to do the iron-butt thing between stops

43-50 mpg depending on how heavy handed you are

I average 44.7 most of the time, I do tend to wind it out in the gears;)

At just over 5,000 miles, I am averaging 41mpg & am happy with that because I don't think it will get better. I tend to wind it out somewhat, but don't think I'm a fanatic about it.

I enjoy the M8 more with every ride.

1,200 on the clock and 80% short hops (10 - 20 miles) under reasonable but 'spirited' acceleration & got 38 on my top off today. It's still in the loosening up stage tho.

Certain it will get better...IF it doesn't get more 'spirited-er' at the same time! :D

That would be alright Jack! :clapping:

Actually I wonder if I'm hurting the mileage a little cuz I like to cruise between 50 - 55 but want the extra little grunt of 5th gear....6th would probly give a little better efficiency. :Shrug:

Try 6th gear @ 1800 RPM, you will be surprised how much more you can scoot and the throttle response is still good along with better mileage;)

Unlike the TC engines these are a bit slower turning engines with MORE low end pulling power

I am in 5th gear some times before 50 MPH, I believe the knock sensors are a BIG plus in retarding the timing

In town riding my PV is showing 44.1 to 44.3 MPG not bad eh

Try 6th gear @ 1800 RPM, you will be surprised how much more you can scoot and the throttle response is still good along with better mileage;)

Unlike the TC engines these are a bit slower turning engines with MORE low end pulling power

I am in 5th gear some times before 50 MPH, I believe the knock sensors are a BIG plus in retarding the timing

In town riding my PV is showing 44.1 to 44.3 MPG not bad eh

Not bad at all!

Does the PV have options to display real time mileage? I just answered my own question....looking the info over at DK's site....slick little tool!

Yesterday i filled the tank to the very top [17 T/G stock] And drove 210.6 miles i filled it up just now 5.4 Gals to the very top....39 mpg's...

Did close to the same yesterday on my 17 TG, 212.4 Miles, 5.5 Gal, 38.6 mpg.

Mostly riding back and forth to work 32 miles one way with half 55-60 mph and the rest 45 mph and under.

Bob

Not bad at all!

Does the PV have options to display real time mileage? I just answered my own question....looking the info over at DK's site....slick little tool!

Yes, in real time you can watch as you shift gears, tho u best keep an eye on the road:p

You can record and play back later also, speed is in real time with a decimal;)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back