Loose baffle

Rogue1

400+ Posts
Oct 8, 2018
Ramseur NC USA
I had my exhaust pipes off today and I noticed a loose baffle in the left pipe. Everything looks solid when you look down the back end of the pipe but when you shake it you could hear it rattle. Anybody had this problem before? It's not causing any problems you can't hear it when it runs but I noticed it when I took it off. It doesn't sound like rust or carbon inside the pipe it sounds like a solid 'thunk'.

I have a loose baffle and loose fiberglass wrap on my RS Freewheeler , it is mildly annoying some times

Jack…..Just power up the old boom box a little louder..The typical Harley rattle’s will then disappear 🫠 😉…Kinda like when the grandkids are arguing with each other..I just raise the volume on the Doo’Wop music and then the kids just go away..😉..

I had my exhaust pipes off today and I noticed a loose baffle in the left pipe. Everything looks solid when you look down the back end of the pipe but when you shake it you could hear it rattle. Anybody had this problem before? It's not causing any problems you can't hear it when it runs but I noticed it when I took it off. It doesn't sound like rust or carbon inside the pipe it sounds like a solid 'thunk'.

P.S. They are stock mufflers, I took the fishtails off.

I have a set of stock muffs from my 2020 removed when new that I would like to sell

Really loose baffle

That loose baffle I mentioned back in April is now really loose. Sounds like hell going down the road. I got about a mile before I realized what it was and had to turn around and go back. Looks like I'll be putting my fishtails back on until I can figure out what I want to do. At least I have a choice.

That loose baffle I mentioned back in April is now really loose. Sounds like hell going down the road. I got about a mile before I realized what it was and had to turn around and go back. Looks like I'll be putting my fishtails back on until I can figure out what I want to do. At least I have a choice.

When you take the muffler off again, shake it. Do you hear anything?

The fiberglass works loose and makes a lot of noise also, on my 17 I pulled them both off and removed the wrap, noise was all but gone

When you take the muffler off again, shake it. Do you hear anything?

The fiberglass works loose and makes a lot of noise also, on my 17 I pulled them both off and removed the wrap, noise was all but gone

When I hold the muffler vertical and then flip it 180° I hear a thunk. I turn it back around 180° I hear another thunk. All I can think of is the fiberglass is in one piece it just came loose from the inside of the muffler. When I turn it upside down and back around I think it slides a couple inches one way or the other and that's when I hear the thunk. I haven't figured out how to get the fiberglass out yet.

When I hold the muffler vertical and then flip it 180° I hear a thunk. I turn it back around 180° I hear another thunk. All I can think of is the fiberglass is in one piece it just came loose from the inside of the muffler. When I turn it upside down and back around I think it slides a couple inches one way or the other and that's when I hear the thunk. I haven't figured out how to get the fiberglass out yet.

When you have it off the trike, use a metal coat hanger with a bit of a hook on the end, reach in thru the opposite end, twist it around and pull, some will come out, repeat and shake it upside down, the wrap will fall out

I have an extra long screwdriver that I use to get it started also

When you have it off the trike, use a metal coat hanger with a bit of a hook on the end, reach in thru the opposite end, twist it around and pull, some will come out, repeat and shake it upside down, the wrap will fall out

I have an extra long screwdriver that I use to get it started also

I have an extra long screwdriver that I can use and use the coat hanger method. I have them both off now so first thing in the morning I'll go out and see what I can do. I don't know what else is in there that would rattle and make noise.

I have an extra long screwdriver that I can use and use the coat hanger method. I have them both off now so first thing in the morning I'll go out and see what I can do. I don't know what else is in there that would rattle and make noise.

Good luck, while you are at it, grab the (on the outlet) with a pair of channel locks and see how much it wiggles, if little to no movement chances are the wrap is moving causing the noise, after stripping my 17 of the wrap most all of the noise was gone

Give the muffler hangers a bit of lube when you put them back on, if you have silglide or white lithium grease lube them now

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back