Looking For Clarification About Dynotuning

JTJersey

800+ Posts
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2021
Millville NJ USA
I've read multiple articles about the need to dynotune, in my case a '21 Freewheeler, when you start changing things like intake and exhaust. I did the intake about 11 months back and now I'm waiting for my Cobra 909-Twins slip-ons to be delivered. If I were to get the trike dyontuned what exactly does that do for me other than give me a readout of the fuel/air mixtures at various rpms and such? Does it adjust the fuel/air mixture for peak performance or do I just get a piece of paper showing me where it's at? I re-watched DK Customs vid about the '21 Freewheelers NOT running lean and how swapping out intake and exhaust shouldn't be a problem, but remapping for better fuel/air mix could help. Is that what the dynotune does? Adjust the fuel/air mix to match your setup or just tell you what it is?

It all depends on how good the dyno crew is, and partly what you want for changes along with what tuner you have chosen to add to your Trike, Not all tuners are created equal

TUNE vs DYNO

TUNE vs DYNO, in a nutsack:

a TUNE adjusts your air/fuel table at various rpms, under load, in various gears.

You can TUNE in one of three ways:

1. CANNED tune

2. (and/or) flash a canned tune then, leaving the tuner attached to the bike, take it on the road to FINE tune it to the way that YOU ride.

3. DYNO is strapping the bike to a treadmill with a tuner attached and fine tune (hopefully) to the way that YOU ride.

As Jack has noted, DYNO results depend upon the skill of the DYNO crew, as well as the quality of the tuner.

NOTE: Not all shops with a DYNO have a TRIKE DYNO (requires two treadmills to accommodate the two powered wheels)

It all depends on how good the dyno crew is, and partly what you want for changes along with what tuner you have chosen to add to your Trike, Not all tuners are created equal

I don't really want to put an add on tuner on the trike. If necessary I would like to modify the map that's there to better suit my changes without adding more complexity. Can having the trike dynotuned do that, presuming a reputable tech?

I don't really want to put an add on tuner on the trike. If necessary I would like to modify the map that's there to better suit my changes without adding more complexity. Can having the trike dynotuned do that, presuming a reputable tech?

Not without a tuner, There are no look up tables as far as I know to access, we can blame the EPA for a lot of this

Before the Consent Decree HD could flash the ECM with their digital tech interfase, Now the game has changed and HD agreed to it unfortunately

TUNE vs DYNO, in a nutsack:

a TUNE adjusts your air/fuel table at various rpms, under load, in various gears.

You can TUNE in one of three ways:

1. CANNED tune

2. (and/or) flash a canned tune then, leaving the tuner attached to the bike, take it on the road to FINE tune it to the way that YOU ride.

3. DYNO is strapping the bike to a treadmill with a tuner attached and fine tune (hopefully) to the way that YOU ride.

As Jack has noted, DYNO results depend upon the skill of the DYNO crew, as well as the quality of the tuner.

NOTE: Not all shops with a DYNO have a TRIKE DYNO (requires two treadmills to accommodate the two powered wheels)

I'm in the process of completing step #2 above and doing the autotune. The canned tune made a very noticeable improvement in my Freewheeler's performance. You need to have your own tuner before you can get a dyno tune. There as many opinions on which tuner to buy as there are Ford vs Chevy opinions.

DynoJet

I'm in the process of completing step #2 above and doing the autotune. The canned tune made a very noticeable improvement in my Freewheeler's performance. You need to have your own tuner before you can get a dyno tune. There as many opinions on which tuner to buy as there are Ford vs Chevy opinions.

DynoJet seems to be the brand of DYNO that Pacific Northwest HD dealers (who have them dyno equipment) use.

I don't know if that means they also utilize the DynoJet PowerVision tuner.....

Haven't found one yet that can dyno a trike....

DynoJet seems to be the brand of DYNO that Pacific Northwest HD dealers (who have them dyno equipment) use.

I don't know if that means they also utilize the DynoJet PowerVision tuner.....

Haven't found one yet that can dyno a trike....

Dyno Jet is a multifaceted company, Dynos, carb performance kits, clutch kits and tuners

They have for sure been a leader for years

We used their carb kits always on the Evo powered Harleys with great results

Okay, I'm just going to put an S&S Carb on this thing and change the jets like my '78 shovel. Can I do that?

Sure you can do anything you want it’s your machine..😉

Let us know how it turns out…And don’t worry about people laughing at you about it just remember they Laughed at the Wright brothers they Laughed at the Dodge Brothers’ Hey they even Laughed at the Marx brothers..😁..

It can be done, but it is very expensive. And I have heard of only one person doing it with mixed results. My son has a Power Vision master tune and it can tune multiple bikes. He downloads the info from your stock ECM, sends it to Fuel Moto along with any engine upgrades. They send him back a tune via email, he plugs it back into the bike, then in less than 10 minutes it's ready to go. He has done several bikes so far and everyone has been happy so far.

It can be done, but it is very expensive. And I have heard of only one person doing it with mixed results. My son has a Power Vision master tune and it can tune multiple bikes. He downloads the info from your stock ECM, sends it to Fuel Moto along with any engine upgrades. They send him back a tune via email, he plugs it back into the bike, then in less than 10 minutes it's ready to go. He has done several bikes so far and everyone has been happy so far.

Can he do mine? :D I don't know anybody around here who is competent enough to do that.

My Cobra 909-Twins came in. Look real nice, beautiful chrome, not that you can see them underneath the trunk. So "Damn the dynos, full speed ahead." As soon as I get back from my 15,000 mile service Tuesday that is. I'm actually not all that worried about it. The slip-ons are "50 state legal" for emissions according to Cobra, so I don't think they're going to be too far off from factory. They're just reported to sound a lot better, but not as loud as the Cobra "Neighbor Haters", the next step up in Cobras catalog. If they give me grief I'll put the factor ones back on, but I'm going to find out real soon. Thanks all for the input on dynotuners. I'll have to delve into it eventually I suppose. Hopefully with someone that's somewhat local who knows how to do it.

My Cobra 909-Twins came in. Look real nice, beautiful chrome, not that you can see them underneath the trunk. So "Damn the dynos, full speed ahead." As soon as I get back from my 15,000 mile service Tuesday that is. I'm actually not all that worried about it. The slip-ons are "50 state legal" for emissions according to Cobra, so I don't think they're going to be too far off from factory. They're just reported to sound a lot better, but not as loud as the Cobra "Neighbor Haters", the next step up in Cobras catalog. If they give me grief I'll put the factor ones back on, but I'm going to find out real soon. Thanks all for the input on dynotuners. I'll have to delve into it eventually I suppose. Hopefully with someone that's somewhat local who knows how to do it.

IMO and from the dyno runs on my last M8 Freewheeler I say run yours the way you like it now

The M8 is fully capable of learning the air flow of the new air cleaner and the exhaust

In their programing from the factory they run richer than Twin Cams and have more capability of learning as you ride as the previous models, unless you want a Dyno print out for bragging rites just ride and smile, remember the adaptive learning of the new Delphi ECM is way ahead of the curve as is the flow of the 4 valve heads

As far as running a free flowing air cleaner and exhaust with the OEM tune, you are fine. You will not damage the engine, it will not be too lean. The M8's are vastly different than the Twin Cams in this regard.

Will it run better with a good tune? Yes, but you may or may not notice the improvement.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back