LED Tail lights

After looking at the difference and the cost I think I will stay with the stock tail lights on my 2016 Tri Glide. I added little blinker light to the bottom of the trunk. I think there is eight lights on each side and they blink when the brakes are applied and stay on as long as u hold the brake. I think I paid twenty dollars for them at cycle gear years ago. Had them on my last three bikes. U can see them for blocks as they are LEDs and at a cars hood level. Sorry for the long post.:AGGHH: Wizard

2014 - I'm extremely happy with my radiantz laybacks (plug & play). P/N 9903-18

Bob :Dorag:

So looking at their website, I assume you have to buy two as they are not a kit. Since they are not specifically for a Tri, any issue with directional working properly? Looks like they have another one w/o the strobe feature.

I want a pair of these for our trike. ;)

11215185_1001775833214847_5774213315439046629_n.jpg

So looking at their website, I assume you have to buy two as they are not a kit. Since they are not specifically for a Tri, any issue with directional working properly? Looks like they have another one w/o the strobe feature.

Everything works great .... turn signals, running, and brakes. VERY bright. I got mine ($100 each) from these guys at Laconia NH Bike Week 2014 http://www.fastlightsleds.com/

Interesting as I contacted Radiantz and they said.....

""Does 9903-15 strobe tail light work on a 2014 Canbus system Harley Tri Glide?""
""No at this time it will not work. We are working on thefix""

And both Radiantz and Dealer said they would work......Wonder if P/N 9903-18 {What I Ordered} makes a difference......

- - - Updated - - -

Good question,JC. I probably can't afford those,anyway.

And see.....I really like the clean look of the back of your bike. jc

1157 is the older style bulb (insert n twist)
3157 are the new bulbs that are used now ( I believe are 'wedge' base) just insert in socket.

Lets see how 'Jackthemachinest' makes out on his quest.

By replacing the entire lens unit with the built in circuit board (as I did) it was a simple plug n play - works great - just cost more!
Sorry I don't know much about the new 'bus boards'.
:)

I installed the Radiantz LED oversize replacement 1157 bulbs in the stock Harley bagger taillamps on my 1997 Electraglide DFT trike conversion. These LEDs have 48 LED bulbs instead of the auto parts store LED with 12, and are about 1-7/8" diameter instead of about 1-1/8". They are much brighter and much more easily visible, even in direct sunlight. Just pop out the old bulbs and pop in the new. Took 5 minutes. ThumbUp

However, I have the sepearate amber turn signals remounted on my trike, so my taillamps are just "running" lights and brake lights, no turn signal function, so that makes it much easier.

I may try installing the auto parts store LED bulbs in the turn signals using an electronic flasher as recommended. Project for another time.... ;)

Radiantz Tail Lights

So I've been looking around for just the right lights for my 2012 Triglide. Reading this thread, I decided to order the Radiantz 9903-18, lay-down, red lens, strobe. Two problems with these lights. One is the connectors do not snap into place in the Harley female connector on the bike. There is nothing to hold them in. I know what your saying, "It's either the installer or the foam gasket will hold the connector in." Directly behind the connector in the light/lens assembly is a large cavity. The foam gasket never touches the back of the connector. Radiantz folks on the phone were great, however I got the usual "It's never happened before." This is generally the reply companies offer when what they really want to say is, "You are a cusomter and therefore you know nothing." The second problem is that once installed the turn signals went batpoop crazy. Another call to Radiantz and another $80 later they're sending a plug and play load equalizer. Now I'm into LED tail lights at the cost of the MOCO units that I'm sure would plug and play.

Attachments

• light1.jpg
    light1.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 193
So I've been looking around for just the right lights for my 2012 Triglide. Reading this thread, I decided to order the Radiantz 9903-18, lay-down, red lens, strobe. Two problems with these lights. One is the connectors do not snap into place in the Harley female connector on the bike. There is nothing to hold them in. I know what your saying, "It's either the installer or the foam gasket will hold the connector in." Directly behind the connector in the light/lens assembly is a large cavity. The foam gasket never touches the back of the connector. Radiantz folks on the phone were great, however I got the usual "It's never happened before." This is generally the reply companies offer when what they really want to say is, "You are a cusomter and therefore you know nothing." The second problem is that once installed the turn signals went batpoop crazy. Another call to Radiantz and another $80 later they're sending a plug and play load equalizer. Now I'm into LED tail lights at the cost of the MOCO units that I'm sure would plug and play.

Yeah.....I think we could have been a bit more specific. Needing a Load Equalizer on the older models {even pre-2014} is 99%. That was part of my question on being plug and play. I've used LED lighting on previous Harleys and always needed the Equalizer. As they have changed the System in 2014 I was trying to make sure it was in fact plug and play. As for the plug...it is the foam on the existing lens that holds the plug in place.

I'm also thinking you would need the Equalizer with the Moco units. And at least you will be getting the laydown and Flash function.

Radiantz 9903-18s have been on my 2014 for 15,000 miles ... they work.

Bob were they really that easy to install? I watched the video at the website. I have a 2015 that I want to get brighter tail lights for. They are listed at $29.00 ea. Sound right. Just want to check everything out. But look like a good deal. :cool:

Answers

"As for the plug...it is the foam on the existing lens that holds the plug in place."

"I'm also thinking you would need the Equalizer with the Moco units."

The foam does not hold the plug in place. There is a plastic spring molded into the connector that snaps shut when it is inserted into the female receptacle on the bike just as does every other such connector on the bike and every auto bring manufactured today. On the Radiantz lights, the foam stops way short of that location and there is a large open area going back to the lens that the connector can fall into. I think Radiantz doesn't want to admit they got a bad batch of connectors and they offered no solution. Harley service tech and parts manager assures me the Harley lights are $5 more than the Radiantz plus the cost of the equalizer, but do not require a load equalizer.

"As for the plug...it is the foam on the existing lens that holds the plug in place."

The foam does not hold the plug in place. There is a plastic spring molded into the connector that snaps shut when it is inserted into the female receptacle on the bike just as does every other such connector on the bike and every auto bring manufactured today. On the Radiantz lights, the foam stops way short of that location and there is a large open area going back to the lens that the connector can fall into. I think Radiantz doesn't want to admit they got a bad batch of connectors and they offered no solution. Harley service tech and parts manager assures me the Harley lights are $5 more than the Radiantz plus the cost of the equalizer, but do not require a load equalizer.

Well - Not on mine is all I can say. My 2013 needed a Load Equalizer, but not a FLH.

jc

Acouple of pictures of my lite problem. Radiantz LED lites, the plug with the little loop in the plug, snaps right in. The plug on the left thats looks like it has some weird plastic blob on it, loop has been cut off, would not seat all of the way. I looked at the pin side and it looks as tho some of that plastic stuff got inside of the female pin. Now both lights came from a different dealer. In other words I was trying save a buck. Both off of Amazon. The one with the bad plug I just sent back today to Radiantz with a note stating what the problem was. Amazon has refunded my money so I have another on the way from Cycle shack. Hope it comes with a good plug on it.

bad plug.JPGIMG_1335.JPG

I put on a set of the HD Layback tail lights a coupla years ago. Took 15 minutes. Have always worked perfectly, are very bright, and did not need any equalizer stuff. I have many other extra lights added on also that have always functioned perfectly, and still have never needed an equalizer.

Bob were they really that easy to install? I watched the video at the website. I have a 2015 that I want to get brighter tail lights for. They are listed at $29.00 ea. Sound right. Just want to check everything out. But look like a good deal. :cool:

Mine were $100 each. The entire Harley stock lens assembly came off (2 screws and a plug) .... the entire new layback led strobe lens unit (9903-18) went back on ... and the plug was a perfect fit on my 2014. The plug goes into a horizontal plug "bank" under the lens.

They are VERY bright!!!!

Roxy at Hanuums.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back