Tri Glide LED Tail Lights

What about a load controller? Isn't a load controller needed for the turn signal functionality when going to LED? Maybe these new lights have that built into them.

Hey TNT.. Talked to the parts guy at my dealer. He was scratching his head about why they would be charging more when they are the identical light. Hmmm.. he thinks they hype up the built specially for TGlide line so they can charge more$... He said wiring is the same, look exactly the same, is confused. Either way,, glad you got 'em ordered and you will like 'em!!!

The single ones also have the clear window at the top for the license plate illumnination. I called another dealer just to make sure. Does yours have the clear window on top? I guess that extra piece of chromed plastic is more expensive. Oh well, I'll just stay with the newer set. It's only money! :)

What about a load controller? Isn't a load controller needed for the turn signal functionality when going to LED? Maybe these new lights have that built into them.

JohnC, These new upgraded light's that are available March 1st 2012 are sold in pairs just for the Triglides and have the wiring harness with load equalizer built in. New Item!!

Mine do not have the lic plate illumination... And did not need the load equalizers according to my dealer, which is why he is confused about the difference. Oh well!!! As long as they work and we are all happy, then so I am I!!!

Mine do not have the lic plate illumination... And did not need the load equalizers according to my dealer, which is why he is confused about the difference. Oh well!!! As long as they work and we are all happy, then so I am I!!!

Trent - Do you have a part number on the lights that your dealer installed? I'm assuming these are the lights sold by Custom Dynamics, but it would be nice to know for sure.

Also, are you still running regular bulbs on your front turn signals? If so, that might account for you not needing a load controller. I've read of cases where the front or rear turn signals can be swapped out without needing a load controller but if both are converted to LED then a controller was needed.

Is Trent talking about these 68116-08, no window, chrome housing, on page 648 of the new 2012 wish book. they are $139.95 ea. I'm bored tonight, still working on my deal for a new TG.

The part# on my invoice is 68117-08... 139.95 each. I am still running regular bulbs on the front turn signals. I will check with my dealer tomorrow about what is needed for a controller if I want to change them. My tail lights look identical to the one in the photo on the link at the start of this thread except for the smoked lense. I notice that it says they are sold in pairs, cuz they know we are not going to buy just one. That is what is confusing my parts guy, as he sez they are the exact same light as the single ones they have been selling since they came out. He dosn't know why a load equalizer would be needed and they have never had a problem with the ones that other trike guys have installed.

I have a 2010 Tri-Glide and had the Gainesiville Dealer remove the stock tail lights and replaced them with "Bright Ass Tail Lights". They are advertised to say they can be seen a mile away in bright sunlight. They are expensive, but a great safety issue.

Jerry Hobbit
Viet Nam Vet 67-68 Army 44th Medical

I had a Bright Ass tailight on my 07 ultra and now 2 on the 2011 Triglide. One was great, but 2 really light up the rear end. I put 3 flashes and then full stop (you can change the flash pattern with a magnet) It catches lots of attention and probably the best money I've spent for rear visibility. $200 list for each. I have also bought the HD LED rear tour pak light and have sent the frame off for chroming. They should compliment each other.

I had a Bright Ass tailight on my 07 ultra and now 2 on the 2011 Triglide. One was great, but 2 really light up the rear end. I put 3 flashes and then full stop (you can change the flash pattern with a magnet) It catches lots of attention and probably the best money I've spent for rear visibility. $200 list for each. I have also bought the HD LED rear tour pak light and have sent the frame off for chroming. They should compliment each other.

My dealer said those lights also carry a 5? yr warrenty. That's a good thing. One dealer also mentioned the same thing about, the HD light just mentioned, some people needing to install a load equalizer. That was one reason for the upgrade for the trikes. As Trent said, if you are happy with what you have, that's all that matters.

The Brightass lights are plug-n-play, no equalizer needed. I had to send the one off the 07 Ultra back to have lens change and they matched with a new one for Trike. They do match 2 for trikes, not just 2 single ones shipped.

Just got off the phone with Bright Ass Lights and the gentleman I spoke with said the only need for a load equalizer is to slow down the flash on the front turn signals. Depending on the flash combination of the BAL, the fronts could flash faster. If you want the fronts to flash as oem then may need a equalizer. Also with the tour pak lights taking extra amps, will not need the equalizer. Only will need if the fronts flash too fast for your liking...

I have a 2010 Tri-Glide and had the Gainesiville Dealer remove the stock tail lights and replaced them with "Bright Ass Tail Lights". They are advertised to say they can be seen a mile away in bright sunlight. They are expensive, but a great safety issue.

Jerry Hobbit
Viet Nam Vet 67-68 Army 44th Medical

Seat Belts are a great safety feature but, I think they come standard on most cars theses days? As unsafe as Harleys are to begin with you would think that they would include a nice bright tail lamp system.. but I guess not. :Shrug:

Just got off the phone with Bright Ass Lights and the gentleman I spoke with said the only need for a load equalizer is to slow down the flash on the front turn signals. Depending on the flash combination of the BAL, the fronts could flash faster. If you want the fronts to flash as oem then may need a equalizer. Also with the tour pak lights taking extra amps, will not need the equalizer. Only will need if the fronts flash too fast for your liking...
The Bright ass Lights I put on my Tri Glide needed the load equalizer..It made the turn signals go crazy fast..Some Tri Glides need the others will not from what I hear..
If you do put a load equalizer on put it on before the rear converter

My dealer said those lights also carry a 5? yr warrenty. That's a good thing. One dealer also mentioned the same thing about, the HD light just mentioned, some people needing to install a load equalizer. That was one reason for the upgrade for the trikes. As Trent said, if you are happy with what you have, that's all that matters.
yea when I spoke to the Bright ass light people they guarateed there lights a long time maybe even after the 5 years..I thought that was a plus..Once you get them they have several light pattens to program to your liking..One time I seen at night someone behind me put down there sun visor as it was nice and bright while I had my brakes on..

I think it's important to note that Harley Trikes have a significant difference in the way the rear lights are wired up versus a regular 2-wheel Harley. Our trikes make use of a special tail and turn signal converter module that integrates the rear turn signal and brake lamp circuits. On 2-wheel bikes, the rear turn signals are a completely independent circuit.

Also, the rear tour pak lights are not part of this additional circuitry and have no bearing on nor do they function as turn signals. The tour pak lamps are fed by an independent harness that is tapped off of the main harness "upstream" or prior to the tail and turn signal converter module.

What is unknown to me is whether the tail and turn signal converter module controls the flashing rate of the turn signals regardless of bulb amperage (load) or if the flashing of the turn signals is still dependent on the load of both the front and rear incandescent bulbs.

I would love to convert my tail lamps to LED but I don't like the idea of having to add additional inline modules in order to get them to flash properly. I guess maybe I'm being too anal about this, but I like to be absolutely sure of what I'm buying and that it will work properly before I shell out a couple of hundred dollars or more for lights.

Triglide_Taillights.jpg

I think it's important to note that Harley Trikes have a significant difference in the way the rear lights are wired up versus a regular 2-wheel Harley. Our trikes make use of a special tail and turn signal converter module that integrates the rear turn signal and brake lamp circuits. On 2-wheel bikes, the rear turn signals are a completely independent circuit.

Also, the rear tour pak lights are not part of this additional circuitry and have no bearing on nor do they function as turn signals. The tour pak lamps are fed by an independent harness that is tapped off of the main harness "upstream" or prior to the tail and turn signal converter module.

What is unknown to me is whether the tail and turn signal converter module controls the flashing rate of the turn signals regardless of bulb amperage (load) or if the flashing of the turn signals is still dependent on the load of both the front and rear incandescent bulbs.

I would love to convert my tail lamps to LED but I don't like the idea of having to add additional inline modules in order to get them to flash properly. I guess maybe I'm being too anal about this, but I like to be absolutely sure of what I'm buying and that it will work properly before I shell out a couple of hundred dollars or more for lights.

Triglide_Taillights.jpg
Once I converted to the LED lights and a trailer converter and added all linds of LED lights the load equalzer was a must..No problems useing these items at all..Plus I am not sure but I thought I read a article about the secuirty system acts up without the load equalizer..

Maybe someone who knows more about this issue can chime in..

My bad ass lights I went with the inverted lens versus the standard lens..
I think they look much nicer in the Tri Glide ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back