Jump Start Help

norm908

1+ Posts
Jan 11, 2024
Myrtle Beach, SC, USA
Hi All,

I've always kept my bikes plugged into a battery tender whenever I would not be riding for several days. However, since retiring and moving into a condo community, that is not possible. So, after a brief illness, I went to start the Trike and it was dead. While doing some research, I came across a post on here recommending the EarthX quick connect cables. I thought they sounded like a great idea and ordered a set. After hooking them up, I went to plug the cable into my jump box (NocoGB20) and found that they would not plug in. Both the jump box and cable had female type connections. If anyone is using the EarthX cables, I would appreciate if you could tell me what jump box you use that will plug in to the cable.

I did have another thought about trying to use a solar powered battery tender. I bought a 10W, 12V solar power battery trickle charger. However, as soon as I plug it into the tender pigtail, the lights go out and it doesn't charge.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone can at least tell me what jump box I need.

Thanks,

Norm

Hi All,

I've always kept my bikes plugged into a battery tender whenever I would not be riding for several days. However, since retiring and moving into a condo community, that is not possible. So, after a brief illness, I went to start the Trike and it was dead. While doing some research, I came across a post on here recommending the EarthX quick connect cables. I thought they sounded like a great idea and ordered a set. After hooking them up, I went to plug the cable into my jump box (NocoGB20) and found that they would not plug in. Both the jump box and cable had female type connections. If anyone is using the EarthX cables, I would appreciate if you could tell me what jump box you use that will plug in to the cable.

I did have another thought about trying to use a solar powered battery tender. I bought a 10W, 12V solar power battery trickle charger. However, as soon as I plug it into the tender pigtail, the lights go out and it doesn't charge.

Thanks,

Norm

Norm your Harley. Should have a pigtail on the left side under the back of the seat. That’s where I plugged my battery tender in?.. some battery tenders. If the batteries completely dead will not charge the battery you need to put it on a regular charger just for a few minutes just to get a little juice into the battery and then the battery tender will will take over and charge the battery..

Helo Norm, question, you mention you have a Noco GB20. That should have come with the jumper cables to use to jump your trike.

It does, I have 2 of them, today I ordered the hard shell case for them, I have used mine enuff times to justify the purchase

One stays in my wife's Subaru, the other stays in my trunk of the Harley trike

Helo Norm, question, you mention you have a Noco GB20. That should have come with the jumper cables to use to jump your trike.

Thanks. I do have the jumper cables to jump it. But I hooked up the EarthX cable that comes out and you can plug in your jump box without removing the seat. My father always used to say to me “make it easy on yourself”, that’s all I was trying to do.

Thanks. I do have the jumper cables to jump it. But I hooked up the EarthX cable that comes out and you can plug in your jump box without removing the seat. My father always used to say to me “make it easy on yourself”, that’s all I was trying to do.

That plug in should work with your Noco unit, the ends are the same

Did you connect the other end to your battery?

Hi All,

Thanks,

Norm

Norm - I am one of those guys that have my bike connected to the EarthX cable. Here is a picture on my connector.

Mine is connected to the battery and comes out up by the seat (where the backrest is). I simply connect mine as all is well. Make sure your cable looks like mine - if not, you got the incorrect one. My cable is male.

Send a picture of yours

l8uQnTC.jpg

Hi All,

Thanks,

Norm
What's so special about this stupid earthx cable? Just order the dedicated NOCO cable and route it under the right side cover. Go to Harbor Freight and buy a small generator that you can hook up your maintainer. You dont need to charge round the clock anyway.

Order the pigtails for your NOCO jumper. Amazon about $25.

What's so special about this stupid earthx cable? Just order the dedicated NOCO cable and route it under the right side cover. Go to Harbor Freight and buy a small generator that you can hook up your maintainer. You dont need to charge round the clock anyway.

Sir - so sorry to learn that you think the idea is stupid. Plus, it might be that you may not fully understand what he is trying to do.

We all agree - you don't need to charge around the clock - and I don't think this is his concern. The worry is - if you are on the road for example and your battery is dead for some reason. Perhaps you forgot to turn the ignition off or something like that.

In the case, you can simply plug the jumpstart kit into this (or a similar cable) and start the bike. Trust me, it works and, is much easier that trying to pull the seat off to get to the battery or jumping from the starter.

Sir - so sorry to learn that you think the idea is stupid. Plus, it might be that you may not fully understand what he is trying to do.

We all agree - you don't need to charge around the clock - and I don't think this is his concern. The worry is - if you are on the road for example and your battery is dead for some reason. Perhaps you forgot to turn the ignition off or something like that.

In the case, you can simply plug the jumpstart kit into this (or a similar cable) and start the bike. Trust me, it works and, is much easier that trying to pull the seat off to get to the battery or jumping from the starter.
I know exactly what hes trying to do. I have the set up myself. Instead of getting the dedicated noco cable he bought a different brand and is having an issue with it. BTW: I have a GB40 but have never needed it for myself but have jump started other riders- using the slave cables. That thing is powerful enough to turn over my F150.

I have an Audew jump pack and just use my starter lug and a good ground when i need to jump the bike. Use a Battery Tender when paced at home. I guess a solar panel would work well for the Tender . I know they make them.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back