I might need some new rear tires

Nov 15, 2012
Delray Beach Florida
Ive just had my 1st flat on the trike.

I ran over a roofing nail someplace but got myself home on 8 pounds of air.

The trike came with BF Goodrich TAs.

They are fairly close on the right side to the wear bars.

I managed to plug it myself using a rope type of repair. Its seems to be holding air OK. I just dont feel good about it being in the center of a fairly worn tire.

My question is this.

In terms of tire quality. Are there any real reasons not to use the off name brands most local shops sell??

Here the 2 big discount stores are Tire Kingdom and Tires Plus. Which although Ive forgotten Tires Plus is also under some other name nationally.

Tires Plus house brand is Primwell. Some sources say China others say they are made by Cooper.

Then there is Tire Kingdoms Escopia brand. Also supposedly made by some large national company.

Now needless to say these tires are ALOT less expensive then the name brands.

Ive been using the Primwell tires on my cars with no complaints.

Personally Id like to find some non direction at least T or H rated tires that can be changed from side to side.

Unlike directional that seem are always radials that cant be rotated.

You folks here have anything to add or enlighten me about rear tires for the trike??

Also as an side note. Why in heck are my posts here all double spaced lately?? Annoying

Speed ratings - Sidewall stength

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but in a related topic:

What is the consensus as to whether the sidewall strength is better on a higher vs lower speed rated tire, for use on a trike running lower pressures?

If the higher speed rated tire has better/stronger sidewalls, wouldn't it be better for the lower tire pressures we usually run? Doubt if I'd EVER touch the max speed for some of these high speed tires - even in a 4 wheeler!

I'll probably be looking for some new rear tires myself this season.

Speed ratings
L75 mph120 km/hOff-Road & Light Truck Tires
M81 mph130 km/hTemporary Spare Tires
N87 mph140km/h
P93 mph150 km/h
Q99 mph160 km/hStudless & Studdable Winter Tires
R106 mph170 km/hH.D. Light Truck Tires
S112 mph180 km/hFamily Sedans & Vans
T118 mph190 km/hFamily Sedans & Vans
U124 mph200 km/h
H130 mph210 km/hSport Sedans & Coupes
V149 mph240 km/hSport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars

When Z-speed rated tires were first introduced, they were thought to reflect the highest tire speed rating that would ever be required, in excess of 240 km/h or 149 mph. While Z-speed rated tires are capable of speeds in excess of 149 mph, how far above 149 mph was not identified. That ultimately caused the automotive industry to add W- and Y-speed ratings to identify the tires that meet the needs of vehicles that have extremely high top-speed capabilities.

W168 mph270 km/hExotic Sports Cars

Y186 mph300 km/hExotic Sports Cars

While a Z-speed rating still often appears in the tire size designation of these tires, such as 225/50ZR16 91W, the Z in the size signifies a maximum speed capability in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h; the W in the service description indicates the tire's 168 mph, 270 km/h maximum speed.

Credit to TireRack

Its the other way around. Hence why I mentioned T rated tires on the trike. Stronger sidewalls then H. Lower the speed rating the stiffer the sidewall will be. Sidewall strength to me is the most important part of tire.I use a light truck tire on my bike. Its on there with no issues due to the sidewalls strength.In the case of a Road Star. Anything less and at high speed its going to get the wobbles. Wobbles is 101% related to the sidewall. Vibrations for those who haven't felt them. Just take my trike over 90 mph. With the National windscreen I have. Its not built for the front end geometry of the GW. It has changed the airflow over the entire front of the bike and trust me. Its well, not entirely unsafe, but it is a wake up call to slow the heck down. Never over 80mph for me on the trike now ever.

Last edited:
Earlier this year I replaced my rears with Douglas tires from WalMart. Reasons being, they are T rated, and I can find a WM just about anywhere for flats, balancing, (no need, I used beads this time) or warranty. They ride quietly, and surprisingly well with the WM tech balancing. Only about 6K miles so far, but they were great on wet roads on our recent trip to California.

Earlier this year I replaced my rears with Douglas tires from WalMart. Reasons being, they are T rated, and I can find a WM just about anywhere for flats, balancing, (no need, I used beads this time) or warranty. They ride quietly, and surprisingly well with the WM tech balancing. Only about 6K miles so far, but they were great on wet roads on our recent trip to California.

Ive been very happy with a T rated tire on most of my vehicles. No need for a high performance tire on a normally driven or for that matter ridden vehicle.

Odds are I will go with the T rated Tires from Tire Direct. Good prices, national service. What more could 1 ask for??

Ive just had my 1st flat on the trike.

I ran over a roofing nail someplace but got myself home on 8 pounds of air.

The trike came with BF Goodrich TAs.

They are fairly close on the right side to the wear bars.

I managed to plug it myself using a rope type of repair. Its seems to be holding air OK. I just dont feel good about it being in the center of a fairly worn tire.

My question is this.

In terms of tire quality. Are there any real reasons not to use the off name brands most local shops sell??

Here the 2 big discount stores are Tire Kingdom and Tires Plus. Which although Ive forgotten Tires Plus is also under some other name nationally.

Tires Plus house brand is Primwell. Some sources say China others say they are made by Cooper.

Then there is Tire Kingdoms Escopia brand. Also supposedly made by some large national company.

Now needless to say these tires are ALOT less expensive then the name brands.

Ive been using the Primwell tires on my cars with no complaints.

Personally Id like to find some non direction at least T or H rated tires that can be changed from side to side.

Unlike directional that seem are always radials that cant be rotated.

You folks here have anything to add or enlighten me about rear tires for the trike??

Also as an side note. Why in heck are my posts here all double spaced lately?? Annoying

Last year I replaced both rear tires with Cooper Trendsetter SE Tires (205/70R/14)

from Tire Central & Service. This is a quiet-running tire with excellent

traction. In my opinion no other tire at this price offers the level of performance and durability as these tires.

Gideon 2.jpg

My trike came with Kuhmo tires and they performed well. I changed them to Michelin MXV4 just because I wanted to at 30 k miles.

I choose my trike rear tires thusly:

1. Top rated mfg

2. Tread is "open" design to disperse water

3. Traction rating must be A or better

After that it boils down to what seems right at the time.

Note: I consider tires on any vehicle I'm driving or riding to be a primary safety concern and I do not buy anything I don't think gives me the best possible protection against failure. I've had tires fail at highway speed in company vehicles and it is not a good thing! I had four tire failures with Firestone and refused to accept them on new car; use any company vehicle supplied with them; or rent a car that had them.

I must agree about the Firestone tires, even the last Bridgestone LT tires I had came apart at speed. Like you, I refuse to use them any more. I researched the Douglas tires a while back, before I put some on my Valk trike. They are made by Goodyear in the US, and I liked the straight tread design for water dispersal. I worry that some store brands may be inferior from other countries with little/no testing.

And Gideon... *LOVE* that Valk!!

Last year I replaced both rear tires with Cooper Trendsetter SE Tires (205/70R/14)

from Tire Central & Service. This is a quiet-running tire with excellent

traction. In my opinion no other tire at this price offers the level of performance and durability as these tires.

View attachment 44387

14" tires with a Valkyrie?? With the gearing and power that my 99 Valk had. Id shred a 14 inch tire. Why so small a rear tire?? Just curious.

I just looked at the tires you have. They do come in my size. But they have an A rating for tread and a B for temps. Which by itself doesn't really mean much. I will look into seeing if they are available locally and at what price. Cant be too high priced as an entry level tire.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back