I am almost convinced...rear tire on front wheel & TG is running great!

I have been thinking about putting a motorcycle rear tire, reversed, on the front of a TG for years.

Finally did it about 4000 miles ago.

Time will tell how well it lasts, but so far it is looking like it is going to be many more miles than a front tire.

What I really like is how much more grip it has...both in the corners/curves, wet asphalt, and stopping power.

It is a significant improvement.

The only condition I am still waiting to see how it does...pouring rain. Have not hit any of that yet. When I do, that will be when I decide to go back to a front tire or keep using a rear in front.

On another note. I could not be more happy with how the TG is running. The other day we ran the Icefield Highway, with no small amount of hills, and still got just under 42 MPG.

TG%20Performance_zps384neti4.jpg

Kevin

Kevin, noticed you were seeing about 37 mpg in Montana and just under 42 in the Icefield Highway area. Any idea why the MPG's improved so much? Was it the Montana speedway effect?

My 13 was fairly consistent around 35/36 (2-up) then the weather turned hot and it jumped up to the 40/41 area. I would have thought the warm weather would make it perform worse as far as MPG are concerned.

Any ideas?

Kevin, noticed you were seeing about 37 mpg in Montana and just under 42 in the Icefield Highway area. Any idea why the MPG's improved so much? Was it the Montana speedway effect?

My 13 was fairly consistent around 35/36 (2-up) then the weather turned hot and it jumped up to the 40/41 area. I would have thought the warm weather would make it perform worse as far as MPG are concerned.

Any ideas?

Speed/(throttle hand) and headwind. Those are the two largest factors in MPG for me.

Next after that would be hills, and after that would be heat and then gas quality.

But if I am heavy on the wrist, and maintain speeds over 70, I see a significant drop in MPG. If there is a strong headwind, I see an even bigger drop in MPG.

You may have experienced better MPG when the weather was warm because of the change in gas...the oil companies do a different (better) blend for warm weather.

Kevin

TG%20Performance_zps384neti4.jpg

Kevin; What is digital unit on the right handle bar? Is it something to do with MPG, trip counter or a fuel tuner? Thanks DJ

It's a power vision ... flash tuner and also provides lots of info, basically if the ECM gets a signal, you can monitor it.

Kevin; Thanks for the feedback, it looked like a lot of information and could assist the rider. DJ

It's a power vision ... flash tuner and also provides lots of info, basically if the ECM gets a signal, you can monitor it.

Kevin; Thanks for the feedback, it looked like a lot of information and could assist the rider. DJ

Yes, I really like using it. You can see a lot more details and a video on it at this LINK.

Kevin

Earlier this year I installed a rear tire on the front but did not reverse the direction. It has been wearing very badly for the last 3000-4000 miles. The treads are wearing the front of their pattern, but not the rear of it. When I roll the trike backwards you can feel the little bumps. It howls going down the road. I'll be changing it to another rear tire, But it will be reversed.

Earlier this year I installed a rear tire on the front but did not reverse the direction. It has been wearing very badly for the last 3000-4000 miles. The treads are wearing the front of their pattern, but not the rear of it. When I roll the trike backwards you can feel the little bumps. It howls going down the road. I'll be changing it to another rear tire, But it will be reversed.
What tire did you use on the front?

rear tire on front wheel of trike

I've been asking (posting) about changing the front tire on a trike to something different, and found this older post. Does anyone have any more info, or an update to the experience of the rear tire on the front wheel?

I have been doing this since 1990 (previously on my GoldWings)

My new trike still has the original tire on it - however, when I need a new tire, this is exactly my plan again.

From other post, I understand that Avon makes a trike specific tire that is designed to do just this - and I will certainly take a look.

While not yet needed, I decided to take a look. From what I found, the AV71 has been discontinued and the new tire is the AV91 - for me, that is the 130/70R18 63V.

After searching high and low, most of the places show they are out of stock. Cost was about $240 or so. One store says they have 9 of them but the cost is about $335.

Glad I don't need it yet and perhaps they will be available or come down after the riding season. My current tire had 8K on it and still looks good. If things go south during the riding season, I can always just put a regular tire on it.

I have continued to follow this. Was at my dealership yesterday - yep, that time is still on backorder everywhere - cost is about $331. My front tire still looks good - has 4/32 left and just 8.5K on it. Showed the dealer the Avon tire and the first thing the service manager said was, I think that's the way to go. They could see the tread and tire design.

Here is what I am doing. Have a few trips coming up. Should have over 10K on the bike after my next trip. When I get there, will take the bike in for the 10K checkup. At the same time, I will change the tire.

Yesterday (6/19/23) I ordered the tire from Summit. To my surprise, it was shipped yesterday and the notice I got this morning said I will have it in my hand today (6/20/23).

Also, interesting - my bike is a 2021 Ultra that I converted with a CSC kit. The wheel on my bike is an 18 - whereas the wheel on the Triglide is a 16. Service said they may start to look into the 16 Avon when doing trike tires.

I just finished a 4 corner trip with the rear Dunlap American Elite tire mounted backwards. Over 11k miles and rain like Moses was waiting to float a boat. We were running right around 70 with no problems. Very pleased with the performance of the tire. I measured the tread depth before leaving and again yesterday. Just about 1/32" difference. I think this tire will be on my trike for awhile.

Do a search here to see pics I posted of the Dunlap rear and a front. The tread direction goes the same way a front tire does after reversed. I felt no hydroplaning at all. Very stable in turns wet or dry.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back