high flow air cleaner

hello everyone. i have the 2018 tri glide. i would like to put on a high flow air cleaner to gain a little better performance but i do not want to have to buy a tuner. Dk customs has the high flow 828 that states no tuner needed if leaving stock exhaust. I have the opportunity to purchase a screaming eagle high flow air cleaner, part # 29400245A from guy that took it off his bike . my question is , does anyone know if this will work without doing the tuner. the hd website says tuner is needed. ? he had the full stage two , so doesnt know if it will work by itself.

hello everyone. i have the 2018 tri glide. i would like to put on a high flow air cleaner to gain a little better performance but i do not want to have to buy a tuner. Dk customs has the high flow 828 that states no tuner needed if leaving stock exhaust. I have the opportunity to purchase a screaming eagle high flow air cleaner, part # 29400245A from guy that took it off his bike . my question is , does anyone know if this will work without doing the tuner. the hd website says tuner is needed. ? he had the full stage two , so doesnt know if it will work by itself.

I did it on my 21 TG and it worked fine.

I have a 2018 trike also, was thinking of the same thing, I talked to my mechanic at the dealer and he said it would require a tune, not sure if he meant a tuner or a tune added to the ecm. He said you could do it but for the first 50 miles it will run very lean and it will hurt the motor. I guess I will leave it the way it is, I'm happy with it stock, I do have a K&N filter in it and the mechanic said that is good.

It is your bike so you can do what you want, I know people say you can do this and no tuner, but I trust my mechanic and he is busy at the dealer and everybody is requesting him to work on their bike. Also have had people say the same thing about him and how good he is.

All for now Trampas

I have a 2018 trike also, was thinking of the same thing, I talked to my mechanic at the dealer and he said it would require a tune, not sure if he meant a tuner or a tune added to the ecm. He said you could do it but for the first 50 miles it will run very lean and it will hurt the motor. I guess I will leave it the way it is, I'm happy with it stock, I do have a K&N filter in it and the mechanic said that is good.

It is your bike so you can do what you want, I know people say you can do this and no tuner, but I trust my mechanic and he is busy at the dealer and everybody is requesting him to work on their bike. Also have had people say the same thing about him and how good he is.

All for now Trampas

My son has a 2018 Street Glide and he has after market pipes and the screaming eagle high flow air cleaner (the oval one) and no tune. I have a 2019 TriGlide, I did the same thing and no problems, no back fire or sputtering or hesitation off the line. And I decatted my header. Will it run better with a tune? Sure, but my bike runs good without. With that said, I’m looking for a FP3 but it’s because I want it.

My son has a 2018 Street Glide and he has after market pipes and the screaming eagle high flow air cleaner (the oval one) and no tune. I have a 2019 TriGlide, I did the same thing and no problems, no back fire or sputtering or hesitation off the line. And I decatted my header. Will it run better with a tune? Sure, but my bike runs good without. With that said, I’m looking for a FP3 but it’s because I want it.

what air cleaner did you and your son put on ?

Didnt have my glasses on. i see you installed the screaming eagle , thanks for the reply, i am going to get it.

Didnt have my glasses on. i see you installed the screaming eagle , thanks for the reply, i am going to get it.

Don’t make the mistake I made. Make sure you take the bracket off, the that goes from one head to the other. It’s not needed with the screaming eagle one. Good luck, may want to do an external breather too.

Don’t make the mistake I made. Make sure you take the bracket off, the that goes from one head to the other. It’s not needed with the screaming eagle one. Good luck, may want to do an external breather too.

Doing an external breather is a good idea while you are there. Don’t expect big performance gains. The engine will breathe better and perhaps a little cooler. There is enough testing to show no tune is required for a new air cleaner. Harley would like to sell you one but save your money.

If you had an older Twin Cam motor, a tuner was a necessity, because of how lean they run. With the M8 it is becoming common knowledge that they do not typically need a tuner to prevent an over-lean condition, since they don't have that tendency. Could you benefit from a tuner to optimize your performance? Maybe sure, but can you live without it? Probably. YMMV

I did talk to my mechanic at the hd dealer today and he said it is a flash, don't need a tuner just the flash and it won't run lean. I see quite a few responses here and telling to get it and put on, your choice, personally I'm happy the way it is, stock air cleaner with a K&N filter and stock pipes. Let us know if you do it and after riding it for awhile let us know how it is running, as for responses above said they did it, good for them, my mechanic said no 2 bikes are the same, your 2018 triglide was built and then they built mine, but both are different, don't ask me why that is just the way it is. Had one mechanic many years ago told me you could take 2 bikes of the same and install mufflers and both bikes will sound different, go figure.

All for now Trampas

I did talk to my mechanic at the hd dealer today and he said it is a flash, don't need a tuner just the flash and it won't run lean. I see quite a few responses here and telling to get it and put on, your choice, personally I'm happy the way it is, stock air cleaner with a K&N filter and stock pipes. Let us know if you do it and after riding it for awhile let us know how it is running, as for responses above said they did it, good for them, my mechanic said no 2 bikes are the same, your 2018 triglide was built and then they built mine, but both are different, don't ask me why that is just the way it is. Had one mechanic many years ago told me you could take 2 bikes of the same and install mufflers and both bikes will sound different, go figure.

All for now Trampas

This is true about two bikes. In 1993 my wife and I each bought a FXLR they were about two weeks apart, same exhaust, we were close to the same weight, and her bike was always about 1 bike faster than mine. we would switch bikes and her bike was still faster, so yes there is truth to what you say.

This is true about two bikes. In 1993 my wife and I each bought a FXLR they were about two weeks apart, same exhaust, we were close to the same weight, and her bike was always about 1 bike faster than mine. we would switch bikes and her bike was still faster, so yes there is truth to what you say.

Thanks for the response you gave, I really appreciate it big time. I'm not a full fledged mechanic but I can do some things and I trust my mechanic which is unheard of these days in the harley world.

All for now Trampas

All for now Trampas

can you explain what a flash is ? as opposed to re programming the ecm with a tuner.

A flash is the dealer going into your ECM and adjusting the air/fuel ratios. I believe just adding a high flow air cleaner , the bike will learn this but a stock bike from the factory is very lean running to meet EPA requirements.

Screaming Eagle air cleaners do not allow install of an external breather without modifying (drilling) it. Is that important to you? It is to me.

I did a DK Customs external breather, together with their 606, but I think the 828 would be fine.

With any of the above (including Screaming Eagle), no tune required if only doing the intake.

Nevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back