head pipe

ROAD DOG

Contributing Member
Jan 21, 2009
MA,
I took the connector pipe that goes from the head pipe to the muffler and replace it with a 2.5"piece of stainless steel flex pipe , I cut 1.5" of the end of the head pipe cut about 3 " off the muffler welded in a piece of 2.5" pipe connected it together, work's good no clearance problem the trike sounds so much better is so much cooler.

The original connector pipe goes from 2.5" to 1.5 inside diameter, the exhaust is just stuck there trying to get out . never found any body to do a tune I got a tune from Dyno Jet Then did 4 auto tune's it runs good now, spark plugs have a nice light tan color, ended up wit a 128 11.1 compression screamin eagle head's screamin eagle 64mm throttle body 5.5 injector's redshift 472 cam stock gutted head pipe wrapped the exhaust S&S race muffler's .

there's a swap meet coming up in april if the dyno guy is there I will get a dyno run to see what the torque is ? it is rideable at all speeds the woods 408 cam does not work in a trike! The power is crazzy , getting around 30mpg Now Im HAPPY I will try to post some pictures this week end .

I took the connector pipe that goes from the head pipe to the muffler and replace it with a 2.5"piece of stainless steel flex pipe , I cut 1.5" of the end of the head pipe cut about 3 " off the muffler welded in a piece of 2.5" pipe connected it together, work's good no clearance problem the trike sounds so much better is so much cooler. The original connector pipe goes from 2.5" to 1.5 inside diameter, the exhaust is just stuck there trying to get out . never found any body to do a tune I got a tune from Dyno Jet Then did 4 auto tune's it runs good now, spark plugs have a nice light tan color, ended up wit a 128 11.1 compression screamin eagle head's screamin eagle 64mm throttle body 5.5 injector's redshift 472 cam stock gutted head pipe wrapped the exhaust S&S race muffler's . there's a swap meet coming up in april if the dyno guy is there I will get a dyno run to see what the torque is ? it is rideable at all speeds the woods 408 cam does not work in a trike! The power is crazzy , getting around 30mpg Now Im HAPPY I will try to post some pictures this week end .

would like to see the Dyna. Be Safe BK

Very interesting. Slide your phone under there and get a picture for us.

By the way, I believe Wilkins Harley in Barre Vt has a trike Dyno.

I no John pretty good up there . They do but wont do it with the power vision , they want me buy a TTS tuner and there auto tune probally another $ 1500. - 1800. with tune. I put 225 miles on today did some more auto tune's run's really good, last tank I got 31 mpg. From 1500 rpm it pull's really strong a lot of fun I have to stop beating it . :D:D:D:D:D:D pretty good

Very interesting. Slide your phone under there and get a picture for us.

By the way, I believe Wilkins Harley in Barre Vt has a trike Dyno.

I will get a picture , I cant believe nobody has made a pipe to replace that one yet , I think all the exhaust maker's feel there's no money in making trike exhaust , I went to a friends shop he make's car exhaust we could not get tight enough bend to get the pipe high enough line up with the muffler, we ordered a bunch of elbow's to try to make one welded together rather than flex pipe ? Maybe my good friend Kevin could manufacture one ? I'M sure if somebody made them they could sell a lot of them ?

I took the connector pipe that goes from the head pipe to the muffler and replace it with a 2.5"piece of stainless steel flex pipe , I cut 1.5" of the end of the head pipe cut about 3 " off the muffler welded in a piece of 2.5" pipe connected it together, work's good no clearance problem the trike sounds so much better is so much cooler. The original connector pipe goes from 2.5" to 1.5 inside diameter, the exhaust is just stuck there trying to get out . never found any body to do a tune I got a tune from Dyno Jet Then did 4 auto tune's it runs good now, spark plugs have a nice light tan color, ended up wit a 128 11.1 compression screamin eagle head's screamin eagle 64mm throttle body 5.5 injector's redshift 472 cam stock gutted head pipe wrapped the exhaust S&S race muffler's . there's a swap meet coming up in april if the dyno guy is there I will get a dyno run to see what the torque is ? it is rideable at all speeds the woods 408 cam does not work in a trike! The power is crazzy , getting around 30mpg Now Im HAPPY I will try to post some pictures this week end .

Looking forward to the photos. Sounds really interesting. I am getting close to making a decision on changing my exhaust, and while doing that, what you describe may be something to do at the same time.

Kevin

I no John pretty good up there . They do but wont do it with the power vision , they want me buy a TTS tuner and there auto tune probally another $ 1500. - 1800. with tune. I put 225 miles on today did some more auto tune's run's really good, last tank I got 31 mpg. From 1500 rpm it pull's really strong a lot of fun I have to stop beating it . :D:D:D:D:D:D pretty good

Have them just do a couple of runs to show hp/tq and afr, no tuning. That's easy for them, maybe one hour.

Have them just do a couple of runs to show hp/tq and afr, no tuning. That's easy for them, maybe one hour.

There about 165 miles from me ,I buy most of there take off part's . we have a swap meet coming up in April at Stafford speedway Dr Dyno will be there, I will have him Dyno it . I"m still trying to get a hold of Hulten's in N Y to do a real tune they may be gone to Daytona ?

Attachments

• IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0316.jpg
    IMG_0316.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0317.jpg
    IMG_0317.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 77
pictures of pipe

There about 165 miles from me ,I buy most of there take off part's . we have a swap meet coming up in April at Stafford speedway Dr Dyno will be there, I will have him Dyno it . I"m still trying to get a hold of Hulten's in N Y to do a real tune they may be gone to Daytona ?

Edited previous post and added pictures of the pipe

Nice job! I wonder how close size wise it is to the current M8 muffler inlet for the touring models. I can’t believe hd wouldn’t redesign a bigger intermediate pipe, unless they have thousands laying around to get rid of, lol.

Nice job! I wonder how close size wise it is to the current M8 muffler inlet for the touring models. I can’t believe hd wouldn’t redesign a bigger intermediate pipe, unless they have thousands laying around to get rid of, lol.

Its the same size as the touring right hand muffler, but I cut the end off my S&S muffler and welded in a piece of 2.5" pipe , Im not a big fan of flex pipe, trying to make one up out pipe is hard to get hose close tight bends. Theres about a 1/2" space between the swing arm and the pipe , I put a flat spot on top.

Thanks for the photo's.

Are you concerned about how small the crossover is to the left side, and how small the left side connector to the slip on is?

Or are you viewing that as an overflow or relief for what is not carried out on the right side?

Kevin

Thanks for the photo's.

Are you concerned about how small the crossover is to the left side, and how small the left side connector to the slip on is?

Or are you viewing that as an overflow or relief for what is not carried out on the right side?

Kevin

I took a piece of 2" pipe cut about a 1.5" long and welded it in two the cross over pipe inside to help scavage the exhaust

Thanks for the photo's.

Kevin

Its that way on all touring bikes I was concerned about the 2.5" id pipe going into 1.5/8 id ? It works for me a lot less heat and a lot better sound

I'm waiting for someone to block the crossover and smooth out the right side flow with s change in baffle to 2-1/2 or 2-3/4. This should create a 2:1......... maybe?

I'm waiting for someone to block the crossover and smooth out the right side flow with s change in baffle to 2-1/2 or 2-3/4. This should create a 2:1......... maybe?

I believe Krome Werks, and Dragos both have option for closing off the crossover pipe, essentially turning into a 2:1 system. Dragos recommends a special muffler designed for 2:1. D&D makes a 2:1 for Harley trikes now, as well as a 2-1-2 system. I have yet to see a pic of the intermediate pipe. The intermediate pipe is a bottle neck compared to normal touring setup. Shortening the collector and using a slightly bigger pipe with less of a bend might make one an interesting experiment. You could make something up like a stepped header in reverse to step down to a current trike muffler. There are a couple of places that sell kits for making custom pipes. Just talking out loud, lol.

I believe Krome Werks, and Dragos both have option for closing off the crossover pipe, essentially turning into a 2:1 system. Dragos recommends a special muffler designed for 2:1. D&D makes a 2:1 for Harley trikes now, as well as a 2-1-2 system. I have yet to see a pic of the intermediate pipe. The intermediate pipe is a bottle neck compared to normal touring setup. Shortening the collector and using a slightly bigger pipe with less of a bend might make one an interesting experiment. You could make something up like a stepped header in reverse to step down to a current trike muffler. There are a couple of places that sell kits for making custom pipes. Just talking out loud, lol.

Good Post. The straighter the pipes AFTER the head pipe { low pressure } the faster the exhaust gas will scavenge;)

I checked out the D&D 2:1 exhaust there F ING nuts to get the complete black exhaust with the false left muffler $2152.00 plus shipping and tax . I spent $ 10.0 for the flex pipe $20.00 for two clamps

I took a piece of 2" pipe cut about a 1.5" long and welded it in two the cross over pipe inside to help scavage the exhaust

Its that way on all touring bikes I was concerned about the 2.5" id pipe going into 1.5/8 id ? It works for me a lot less heat and a lot better sound

Now I want pictures of the above. :) Very interesting subject. Not something we anticipate doing as a company...but something that is tickling my thoughts personally.

Yeah, that would leave the left as a ghost pipe (for aesthetic symmetry) and if the flow was smooth (fast) you would think it would work well, like the 2 into 1's that are built from scratch and cost big $.

Kevin

I have a 2020 triglide. I just looked at my pipe & measured it. It measured 1.77 outside diam. Also i don't believed it is as curved. Hard to tell laying on the floor looking at it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back