GW/Roadsmith rear tires

Previous owner replaced rear tires that are 1/2" lower profile than OE. Would that cause handling issues?
Any previous experience would be appreciated. :confused:

Sorry I don't have personal experience regarding handling issue but I can tell you it would make the ride rougher.

JMHO on the handling..... I would expect less sidewall roll with the lower profile tire so don't think any ill effects should occur. Maybe a little sliding due to tire pressure being increased if it is but that is the only real negative I can come up with.

Will be be interested in more informed responses.

1. Possible change in speedo readings.....
2. Should be easier to change or remove rear wheels & tires..
3. Depends on the pressure you run in the rear as to ride stiffness....
4. Less tire roll as there is less sidewall unless pressure is low....

Just some FYI

What size are your Rims/Wheels?
Asking as they look larger than OEM in your Avatar Pic.
If so, that would have an effect on the overall along with change in Tire sizing.

Also,,,, 1/2" overall Diameter less height (1/4" each radius) produces a very small and mostly negligible difference in handling given the Unit and how/where you are operating it.
If you were using it for Track Days or in the Gold Wing Trike Racing League or Trike F1 Series then it would be something noticeable and to be concerned with.

Thanks for the info. Here's more on the 2003 GW/Roadsmith. OE rear size is 215 60R-15, current is 215-45R 17 On tire size comparison, current tire is 1/2" lower overall. My biggest issue is headshake which seems to transfer to the rear end hopping until I gear down or apply rear brakes. Wonder if raking the front suspension will help this situation or should I be looking more at the rear suspension? Steering is stiff but not a priority. Changing the air pressure in the air suspension doesn't seem is affect any changes in the rear end hop. :confused:

Thanks for the info. Here's more on the 2003 GW/Roadsmith. OE rear size is 215 60R-15, current is 215-45R 17 On tire size comparison, current tire is 1/2" lower overall. My biggest issue is head shake which seems to transfer to the rear end hopping until I gear down or apply rear brakes. Wonder if raking the front suspension will help this situation or should I be looking more at the rear suspension? Steering is stiff but not a priority. Changing the air pressure in the air suspension doesn't seem is affect any changes in the rear end hop. :confused:

Head shake can be caused by several issues. The most common is loose or worn steering head (triple tree) bearings. HONDA did not do GL1800 owners any favor by cutting corners on these bearings. They went back to the bicycle bearings very early GL1500 had. Putting a rake kit on is a fairly costly upgrade but in most cases the owner if VERY HAPPY they did it. I'd bet this is your real problem.

You might put a floor jack under the front of the engine (careful not to get on the oil filter) and lift the front off the ground. Grab hold of the wheel and see if you can feel any play in the steering head. If even the slightest amount is felt, you have most likely found the problem. At the very least I'd swap out the OEM bearings for a set of "All-Balls" bearings (available at several places). If you want easier steering at the same time then doing the rake kit would help and now is the time since the tapered bearings come with the kit.

One of the installers locals use always puts 17" rims and corresponding tires to closely match the overall diameter of the RS OEM setup which is currently 16" rims with 205/65 r16 tires. His ride is slightly rougher but cornering is improved due to less sidewall flex.

BTW, the OEM tire size is based on the diameter which will provide the most accurate speedometer reading of original bike (regardless of brand). So this rim and tire set up for the Goldwing requires a diameter of 26.5".

The biggest thing I have noticed between the 45 series and 65 series tires is the ride.
This is on 2 different trike builds. The 45 series is rough riding compared to the 65 series tires. As far a handling goes the 45 seems to stick better.
This s more of a guess than anything because it is 2 different types of trikes.
My mystery uses a 245x45x18, yes a 10 inch tire and wheel. It is like a slot car handling but rough riding.
If you are using the factory triple tree I would suggest going to a 4.5 degree rake. PM zook for more information on rake kits.

Thanks, ordered my rake kit!:Dorag:

In the mean time try running your trike in a gear where it is constantly pulling.
if you notice the headshake at lower speeds and you either brake or accelerate to get out of it running in a gear where it is constantly pulling will greatly decrease the chance of headshake conditions.ThumbUp

I have ridden more than one trike that just this simple rider change of habits make all the difference!

Thanks, that helps,
:Dorag:Right, most of the time that works but then I'm running at an abnormal lower gear like at 30mph & gearing down to 4th or 3rd when coasting to a stop light.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back