Going back to two

Practice slow speed circles, figure eights and hard emergency braking in a non congested open parking lot, until comfortable. Two wheelers react differently than three wheelers.

Start back slowly on open roads.

Utilize your riding lane, left of center, when riding straight roads.

Definitely use more counter steering than steering when moving at speeds greater than about 17 mph.

Everything will come together quickly.ThumbUp

Most of all, have fun and Ride Safe. ThumbUpThumbUp

well theres a lot of reference to leaning but the truth is even though you end up leaning, leaning is not a means of cornering, just try riding no hands and try to get the bike to lean steer with any usable level of cornering.. it doesnt happen... counter steering is the only way to get a 2 wheeler around any corner above about 15 mph...
if you want to turn right you push the right bar forward. you already do this, but you may not be aware of it..
play with counter steering on a quiet wide road and train yourself to use it..
if your ever in a situation where you are in a left hand corner and going to fast and starting to run wide, only steering right will get you around. the bike will tip deeper into the bend and turn tighter to the left...
if you turn left the bike will stand up and run you wide off the bend

Thanks for the tips ... it's only bee about a year since I was on two, so shouldn't be too bad going back. The putting the feet down thing is my biggest concern ... LOL .. Don't want to do the Artie Johnson thing ... :AGGHH:

I'll be going back to two wheels for a little while ... :AGGHH:

Other than don't forget to put yer feet down, any suggestions?

Bought a trike back in August and really was looking forward the new adventures, but alas.....

The trike was not all it was suppose to be...... ie, the dealer screwed me, bought it via the internet.
Really like leaning. So the trike is taking up space and collecting dust, but one day.....

Hey Fuzzy, as you know I ride on 2 and 3 wheels about equally. Sometimes both in the same day.

I've never forgotten to put my feet down, and riding is riding, I don't think you'll have any trouble with the counter steering vs. steering.

The two things that are on the top of my list-

1. I am really vigilant on road conditions. The nice thing on 3 wheels is that you don't need to be so concerned about sand, oil, etc. on the road like when on 2 wheels.

So when I am on 2 wheels there is a bit of self talk going on, reminding myself that I am on 2 wheels and to keep a close eye on the road, can't be as relaxed about conditions like when on 3 wheels.

2. Amazingly I forget to put the kickstand up when on 2 wheels. I've never forgotten to put it down when. But more than a few times I've gotten on the bike, started it, put my gloves on, and then taken off, only to have the kickstand drag when doing my first left turn. Not good. Never caused a problem, but it could.

Kevin

2. Amazingly I forget to put the kickstand up when on 2 wheels. I've never forgotten to put it down when. But more than a few times I've gotten on the bike, started it, put my gloves on, and then taken off, only to have the kickstand drag when doing my first left turn. Not good. Never caused a problem, but it could.

Kevin

The only bikes i had/have that WILL start with the kick/jiffy stand down are Harley's And Victory.
Japanese bikes won't... And Harley's sold in Europe won't either ... And i do miss the no start feature!

Don't forget from where you came and to where you will return?

Fuzz, will you be returning to 3 wheels?

Okay ... so maybe everyone hasn't heard ... I'll be filling bankruptcy next month ... my business landlord pulled a fast one and now claims I owe him in excess of 80K. The business paid the bills but never that one. I was gonna let the business file bankruptcy, but my lawyer assures me my articles of corporation (written in 1981) although good for 1981, can be pierced by a blind lawyer with a stick in about 30 minutes. She has advised me that my best option is to file personal bankruptcy and protect myself. I will list the business as both an asset and a liability.

The only downside, (the upside being the landlord won't get a nickel, forgive me Lord) is that I will loose the tri. It's almost paid for and the trustee will want it as one of my bigger assets. This has been confirmed by the trustee. My home and my truck will be protected.

So, for the moment, I'm on unemployment (don't hate me for being on the government tit), a condition I plan to resolve when swimming pool season opens again. The plan is to open a new business out of my home and truck that keeps me out of trouble in the summer and provides enough fundage to keep me in bling and gas for my ride through the winter. I also have my Navy retirement pay and my disability check, so I'll be fine.

So, about going to two wheels. A friend of mine has a 1995 Honda Goldwing Aspencade. It is in really good condition for a 21 year old bike. He is willing to let me ride it this summer in his name until the bankruptcy is cleared, then sell it to me (it was his fathers and he's passed). The GW only has 50k miles on it and was recently gone over by the Honda dealer.

Our illustrious leader (Bazooka for those of you that don't know) has offered to have me bring it down to his shop next winter and let me help him trike it. What a guy, Thanks Zook. I love this idea as I will know lots about my trike that I wouldn't normally have a clue about. And I can have it installed by a pro I trust. :D

Aside from that, I offered to resign as a moderator since I will be without a trike. I explained that I love this place and will still be hanging around. I was told I was part of the family and wouldn't be going anywhere. I was also told that I could't get out of being a moderator that easily (thanks Gorilla). The rest of the moderators also expressed similar sentiments. You guys have no idea what a great bunch the Moderators here are. It's what I love about this place. I've been a member of lots of online forums, but, never has there been one that I've felt so welcome to. I read almost every post written almost every day and I just love the way you guys treat each other. Sure, we are human and there are "spats" sometimes, but for the most part, we all play nice and seem to genuinely like each other. I can feel God's hands all over this forum.

So that's why I'll be on two for awhile, hopefully (assuming the pool service thing catches like I think it will, and I get the bank account built back up a little), I will be back on Three this time next year. It's also why I've been selling off some of the bling from the Tri. (Shameless plug for my for sale posts ... :))

I feel better about letting the gang know, I've alluded to these issues in other posts, but this one kinda lets the cat out of the bag.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Fuzzy, as you know I ride on 2 and 3 wheels about equally. Sometimes both in the same day.

I've never forgotten to put my feet down, and riding is riding, I don't think you'll have any trouble with the counter steering vs. steering.

The two things that are on the top of my list-

1. I am really vigilant on road conditions. The nice thing on 3 wheels is that you don't need to be so concerned about sand, oil, etc. on the road like when on 2 wheels.

So when I am on 2 wheels there is a bit of self talk going on, reminding myself that I am on 2 wheels and to keep a close eye on the road, can't be as relaxed about conditions like when on 3 wheels.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin ... Good advice ... never really realized how complacent I've gotten about road conditions on the trike. Guess I won't be doing any u turns off the side of the road for awhile ... :D

well theres a lot of reference to leaning but the truth is even though you end up leaning, leaning is not a means of cornering, just try riding no hands and try to get the bike to lean steer with any usable level of cornering.. it doesnt happen... counter steering is the only way to get a 2 wheeler around any corner above about 15 mph...
if you want to turn right you push the right bar forward. you already do this, but you may not be aware of it..
play with counter steering on a quiet wide road and train yourself to use it..
if your ever in a situation where you are in a left hand corner and going to fast and starting to run wide, only steering right will get you around. the bike will tip deeper into the bend and turn tighter to the left...
if you turn left the bike will stand up and run you wide off the bend

SO true.

Keep hangin in there.I came here before I could afford a trike and yes this place is therepy.I to ended up with a 1500 Goldwing Champion and its a good ride I think you'll like it to.

Fuzzy, you are in our prayers. God will see you through this dark moment and you will be stronger for it.

I agree this forum is definitely the best group of people I have ever seen on any forum I have been associated with.

Godspeed...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back