Glass Packs for the RSV? WHAT?

Jan 21, 2013
Auburn California
Exhaust or Muffler question for you guys that have triked RSV:
At present I have a RSV triked with the Hannigan Kit and the stock mufflers. In the past I have run Chrome works exhaust and I know guys have run Bubs and of course several have even converted to Harley exhaust and I'm sure there are more, but for me the after market pipes are just a little to much excess in the sound area. That is why I have went back to the stocks muff's, which are okay but again its still just not my cup of tea.

Back in the seventy's through the ninety's I use to run "Glass Packs" on my 72' Chev pickup, not loud, just a nice low rumble sound that us older kids enjoyed. Yea I know it was a V8 and we are talking a four cylinders here, but my questions of curiosity is;

Has any one looked into, thought about, or tried these type of muff's for their trike. No need for chrome of course they are not seen except for the tail pipe. Hell, I don't even know if they even make Glass Packs any more and don't know if they would work, but I don't see why not....Humm I'm just wondering here. Any thoughts on the subject?

The Paparazzi

Bones158: Hummm.... Very interesting, thanks for the input.... Now, how to find out what they sound like on a RSV before the investment.. I'm thinking someone has had to tried this in the past.

Ragtop69gs:That's true Cherry Bombs are cheap but I'm also thinking somewhat on the noisy side I'm really leaning toward the glasspacks, which also are somewhat inexpensive. I'm going to check out some of the local independent type muffler shops and hot rod locations, maybe they can supply me with a little more info..

You can buy Glass pack blanks and insert them in your gutted factory mufflers. I did this to my 1100 Honda before selling it, it sounded great. Ask to see the catalog's for muffler suppliers, you should be able to find the right length and diameter needed. If you decide to try it I'll give you a link to the how to, with pictures, I did on another site. There you will find links to videos that you can hear how they sounded on a V twin.

Actually, later on this year I'm going to replace my stock mufflers. I'm looking for Goldwing or Beemer quiet!! I did some research last year with inlet size and offset and did find some Datsun mufflers I'm going to try. Don't have the info handy at the moment but I'll PM you at a later date with the info. Of course there will be a certain amount of McGuiver'ing involved with the mounting so if you can hold off a few months I'll keep you posted on the results and what needs to be done...

Ragtop69gs: Inserted glass packs into our original stock muff's, hummm that's another thought, but I sure would hate to screw up or not be satisfied with the new results.. ( Funny) I use to ride a Honda Shadow 1100 too quite a few years back..

Bongobobny: I'm in no hurry and would appreciate you keeping me up to date of your findings.. I'm going to something just not sure yet. I do appreciate all the input..

Ragtop69gs: Inserted glass packs into our original stock muff's, hummm that's another thought, but I sure would hate to screw up or not be satisfied with the new results.. ( Funny) I use to ride a Honda Shadow 1100 too quite a few years back..

Bongobobny: I'm in no hurry and would appreciate you keeping me up to date of your findings.. I'm going to something just not sure yet. I do appreciate all the input..
I put cobras on my rsv in 2000. Had a great rumble,but not to loud. Then when it we converted to trike the pipes were extented about a foot for the hannigan kit. NOW. it sounds like a 57 chev with glass packs or thrush mufflers. Some people say the same thing when they hear it for the first time. I really love the sound. Nothing else like it!. Just saying

Jhennan: Thanks for your input. I have contacted our local muffler guy (I know is Dad) and was told that there should not be a problem in doing the install, but however he need's to take some measurements before hand. I have looked at Cherry Bombs, Hush Power and Thrush Mufflers on line and I'm leaning toward the latter two.. Hopefully I'll be able to take the trike in and have him take a look next week. This week end and into next week we are expecting some badly need rain here in the Golden State.

Took the tirke into the muffler shop today and he asked why I wanted to switch to the glasspacks informed him of what I was looking for and he said that he of course could do it that would not be a problem, but after we talked awhile he felt that I would disappointed with the results. His theory is with the shorter exhaust systems that trikes have, it would be more noisier than the stock mufflers that are already on there. So based on his experience and expertise I have decided to put my quest on the back burner..

bongobobny : If you do come up with anything I would appreciate you letting me know..

Thanks for sharing your videos Ragtop69gs but I think my wife would stop slapping me on the side of my helmet and telling me which way to go if ya know what I mean, she is all Italian. ;) Not a bad sound though for the V twin... Thanks again

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back