Front Wheel Bearing Failure

OLBLU

100+ Posts
Apr 17, 2018
Winnipeg
Just had to replace front wheel bearings on my 2017 TriGlide with only 5300 miles on it. No, I did not blast the front wheel with a pressure sprayer. HD should be ashamed.:mad:

Fortunately ESP covered it. Gave me enough of a scare , that I'm going to order one of DK Customs rear bearing retainer kits and do the rear end next.

Does anyone know the part numbers for Timken front and rear replacement bearings? I'm going to redo the fronts because I don't trust HD's replacements either.

besides keeping the pressure cleaner away also keep those spray on cleaners away from the bearings. It can get into the bearing and thin the grease away. Even though they are water resistant the clearers are designed to cut grease where water will mostly just go away.

Just had to replace front wheel bearings on my 2017 TriGlide with only 5300 miles on it. No, I did not blast the front wheel with a pressure sprayer. HD should be ashamed.:mad:

Fortunately ESP covered it. Gave me enough of a scare , that I'm going to order one of DK Customs rear bearing retainer kits and do the rear end next.

Does anyone know the part numbers for Timken front and rear replacement bearings? I'm going to redo the fronts because I don't trust HD's replacements either.

I had the front bearing replaced at 14 K.....2011 Tri-glide..

Like all things ... any manufacturer can have a part failure.

My first brand new car, 73 Toyota Celica blew a head at 8k miles, it was replaced and blew again at 12k. Turns out the head had seats made of the wrong material. Major recall.

I have taken apart quite a few of sealed bearings ( mostly Chinese made) and found a lack of enuff grease and very weak grease seals

If you are changing your own wheel bearings I would suggest carefully popping the seals off and checking the bearings for proper grease before installing them. You will be a lot happier IMO

Jack, is the TriGlide the same size bearing as our Freewheeler. About a year age I researched them (you know how I am) for the FW & came up with a 25mm IDx52mm ODx 15mm width.

HD OEM p/n-9276B

Timkin-205PP

NTN-6205-LL

SKF-6205-2RS

Yes, HD rolled these bearings out a few years ago when they changed the diameter to 25mm

I have seen some of these bearings fail in very low miles while some go 50K with no issues, that said I have never liked or trusted sealed bearings, tho the set up and end play has been pretty much reduced with them

• Thanks
Reactions: MDO
I have taken apart quite a few of sealed bearings ( mostly Chinese made) and found a lack of enuff grease and very weak grease seals

If you are changing your own wheel bearings I would suggest carefully popping the seals off and checking the bearings for proper grease before installing them. You will be a lot happier IMO

I thought I saw a video where John Maxwell was packing them with grease. While we are on the subject, when you get a new front tire, are you replacing the bearing. This post has me considering it.

Yes, HD rolled these bearings out a few years ago when they changed the diameter to 25mm

I have seen some of these bearings fail in very low miles while some go 50K with no issues, that said I have never liked or trusted sealed bearings, tho the set up and end play has been pretty much reduced with them

I wonder who makes HD's bearings.

I thought I saw a video where John Maxwell was packing them with grease. While we are on the subject, when you get a new front tire, are you replacing the bearing. This post has me considering it.

2 part answer, if Maxwell is like me he probably popped the seals off and repacked the bearings with some better grease ( the grease in most of these bearings is pretty weak looking IMO)

As far as replacing the front bearings @ tire time, probably will as long as the wheel is off, I do not like surprises

• Thanks
Reactions: MDO
2 part answer, if Maxwell is like me he probably popped the seals off and repacked the bearings with some better grease ( the grease in most of these bearings is pretty weak looking IMO)

As far as replacing the front bearings @ tire time, probably will as long as the wheel is off, I do not like surprises

He said the same thing. HD has a little cup like tool they put the bearing in and pump it up to pressure squeeze the grease in.

He said the same thing. HD has a little cup like tool they put the bearing in and pump it up to pressure squeeze the grease in.

31WWJRvHbvL._AC_.jpg
I have 1 like this, I have had it for over 30 years

I still pack some bearings by hand The old fashioned way;)

If we get another stimulus check:confused: and I get well, I am thinking about an S&S 475 cam & I will ride down & have you do the work.;) I will of course buy dinner for you and the wife.:cool:

While we are in there, I am also considering the updated/latest oil pump.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back