Front Hand Brake soft issue

Bob25thTA

20+ Posts
Mar 18, 2023
Cleveland, SC, USA
This is shop diagnosis.

Customer States: DIAG SOFT FRONT BRAKE LEVER. FRONT BRAKE LEVER HAS NO PRESSURE. CONCERN STARTED 2 WEEKS AGO AND HAS GOTTEN PROGRESSIVELY WORSE. NO LEVER HAS NO PRESSURE AT ALL. CUSTOMER HAS NOT SEEN ANY SIGN OF FLUID LEAKS

TECH SERVICES REQUESTS THAT WE DO ABS SERVICE ONLY TO SEE IF THAT WILL FREE UP VALVE IN ABSMODULEREF# 4882963ABS SERVICE FAILED TO CORRECT PROBLEMAUTHORIZEATION TO REPLACE AND EXPEDITE ABS MODULE, A#326238

ABS Module was replaced and problem returned. Almost sounds like master cylinder bypassing. If I hit foot brake first the ABS "pumps" up the system and front brake works. If I press both at same time hand lever depresses all the way to the grip. Anyone else had an issue like this?

Do you have a factory warranty or extended warranty?

It sure sounds like a bypassing master cylinder, that said if the tech bled the brakes that should have confirmed it

You could remove the master cover, suck out all the old fluid, wipe the inside of the reservoir with a lint free cloth or Q tips, rebleed the front brakes and try the lever

If it is still limp, slowly pump the lever with medium strokes, do not pump fast, that will cause more air bubbles

Next, after pumping up the brakes, wrap a bungie around the lever and handle bars

Wait a few hours, undo the bungie, does the lever now feel firm?

If not you probably have a bad master

Almost sounds like there is air in the system somewhere. If the valving is not functioning correctly as the front & rear are linked systems it may do that. Could also be a software issues as the system senses pressure front & rear and adjusts accordingly.

Well it's not Master Cylinder. Pumped the hand brake numerous times and bungeed it for over an hour, pressure held, and now I have good front brake pressure. Could it be a warped disc pushing the pucks back and requiring more fluid to apply brakes? Continued tomorrow. Don't know how to check runout on floating disc????

Well it's not Master Cylinder. Pumped the hand brake numerous times and bungeed it for over an hour, pressure held, and now I have good front brake pressure. Could it be a warped disc pushing the pucks back and requiring more fluid to apply brakes? Continued tomorrow. Don't know how to check runout on floating disc????

If you have a lot of run out you will feel it when braking

Runout should not give a spongy feel, it should however pulsate

Checking runout is straight forward if you have the gauge to check it with

Before you check runout, remove the caliper and secure it with a bungee, also before checking for run out, put a hand on the fork leg and turn the wheel thru a couple of cycles to be sure there is no wobble and or rough feel in the wheel bearings

Next do your runout check and compare it to HD specs

Front Bake Issues Back

Bring my 2021 Tri Glide Ultra into HD next week. Symptom is no front brake lever pressure again, collapses to grip and brakes barely apply. So far they replaced brake ABS control unit 02/14/2023 and worked until 05/18/2023 back into shop, replaced master cylinder and worked until yesterday. Nice day in SC so went out for a ride no front brake pressure. In garage when applying front brake it sounds like something under tank is bypassing, I hear whooshing sound. Does anyone have a schematic of the brake system to self diagnose it myself. Any comments would be appreciated.

If it was me I would let the dealer fix it, if you start messing around to fix it yourself the dealer may refuse to work on it and say you screwed it up and then it will be up to you to pay for the repair, just a thought is all, warranties are subject to change from dealer to dealer. I know a front brake is good to have but if you have warranty and forever warranty from dealer let them fix it, if I remember right if you do something on it yourself they may refuse to warrant it, it is up to you

All for now Trampas

My '14 Dyna had the same issue. Dum Dums replaced ABS Control Unit and Master cylinder.Still mushy front brake. Did 3 panic stops at 30mph. Think it freed up the valves in the ACU. Its non invasive. Worth a shot.

I noticed the same thing after my conversion. After numerous attempts to bleed the brake line, I would only have brake pressure after squeezing the brake two or three times. My problem was resolved when it was discovered that the front wheel (which I had chrome plated to match the rear wheels as part of my build) had a chrome plating build up on the wheel in one area. This prevented full contact of the calipers. My Honda mechanic discovered this, and after lightly grinding the build up down, I again had full brake pressure and haven't had a problem since. So, If you had your front wheel chromed, you might want to take a look.

My '14 Dyna had the same issue. Dum Dums replaced ABS Control Unit and Master cylinder.Still mushy front brake. Did 3 panic stops at 30mph. Think it freed up the valves in the ACU. Its non invasive. Worth a shot.

Good thought, the Trike is soo heavy and slows down soo quick, I hardly use the breaks only very lightly.

Bring my 2021 Tri Glide Ultra into HD next week. Symptom is no front brake lever pressure again, collapses to grip and brakes barely apply. So far they replaced brake ABS control unit 02/14/2023 and worked until 05/18/2023 back into shop, replaced master cylinder and worked until yesterday. Nice day in SC so went out for a ride no front brake pressure. In garage when applying front brake it sounds like something under tank is bypassing, I hear whooshing sound. Does anyone have a schematic of the brake system to self diagnose it myself. Any comments would be appreciated.

Here is a link to where you can see all the schematics of your TG.

https://shop.suburbanharley.com/oem-parts

That way you can look and possibly have some input to your service writer at the Dealership.

As you can see, there is a lot going on with the brakes between the Linked, ABS, & RDRS features.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back