Front brake pad wear

Apr 25, 2019
Fort Myers, FL
I decided to check my front brake pads on a recently purchased '03 GL1800 with a Champion solid axle kit. (I call left and right sides as I'm sitting on the bike, looking forward.) I pulled the right side and found them worn way down. The outer pad actually showing some metal and the inner pad not that far gone but still thin. I pulled the left side (side with the antidive) and found them to still be within limits. My first thought was that someone only replaced one side somewhere along the line. However, could there be a problem with the system that only one side is truly working as it should?

On further investigation, is the antidive also called the delay valve? And, does the fact that it has a drilled out nickle in it affect this issue?

Does the fact that the front brakes now operate from only the front lever mean that only the right side of the duel brakes are functioning?

I decided to check my front brake pads on a recently purchased '03 GL1800 with a Champion solid axle kit. (I call left and right sides as I'm sitting on the bike, looking forward.) I pulled the right side and found them worn way down. The outer pad actually showing some metal and the inner pad not that far gone but still thin. I pulled the left side (side with the antidive) and found them to still be within limits. My first thought was that someone only replaced one side somewhere along the line. However, could there be a problem with the system that only one side is truly working as it should?

On further investigation, is the antidive also called the delay valve? And, does the fact that it has a drilled out nickle in it affect this issue?

Does the fact that the front brakes now operate from only the front lever mean that only the right side of the duel brakes are functioning?
The nickel has nothing to do with the brakes wearing. Two issues to look for. When install the wheel you have to go thru a procedure to line the wheel with the calipers. If this isn't done it will wear the brakes bad. Also there is a clip in the caliper at the top that yours shoes rides in. I have seen the clip not in correctly and this will cause wear. Also a caliper could have build up around one or more pistons not letting them retract correctly. Just a few things to look at.

David

I will admit that I dont know how Champion handles brakes but on a stock GL1800, the handbrake will operate both the left and right calipers. The foot brake also operates both front brakes and the rear brakes. Some trike kits separate the front and rear brakes. I know that CSC does not but when I was changing the brake fluid last year, I was able to bleed the front brake bleeder on right caliper fine but the left caliper was plugged up somehow. I ended up after bleeding right caliper, squeezed the brake handle hard a couple times and whatever seemed to be plugging up left side came loose and I was able to finally bleed it. It could be possible that your handbrake is only operating the right caliper and something could be blocking brake line to left caliper. There is a certain procedure on which bleeders are attached to which brake. And you also need to know if the linked braking has been unlinked for the rear brake foot pedal.

Will test

I believe that when I get the new pads installed I will slide a piece of paper between the left rotor and pad, squeeze the lever and see if I can pull the paper out.

I believe that when I get the new pads installed I will slide a piece of paper between the left rotor and pad, squeeze the lever and see if I can pull the paper out.

Long reach there! :D

I know that 1800s have different brake integration than 1500s, where a 1500's left front is with rear brakes, only the right is on the HB MC, so often the left wears faster due to rider use.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back