Dyno tune Trike

Baxter's Harley Davidson, just outside Gallipolis Ohio, is in the process of building a new shop which will have a trike dyno. They also have a very well equipped machine shop. The current shop only has a bike dyno but the new shop should be opening about mid-summer I believe. Ben, the owner, and all his mechanics and sales people are good folks.

Check with those that dyno tune cars/trucks.
My Dyno man in Chattanooga can dyno tune anything you bring in. Car/truck/4 wheelers/atv's, motorcycles, and trikes.
All it takes is the wide drum for it so most motorcycle dyno's won't work

Dyno tuned is the only way to go.
Yes the PV is a great way for a diy guy but it won't be as good as what a good dyno man can do.

can he dyno tune a 03 road king trike with a procharger.I live in s.c.can"t find anybody to do this

That's going to be a tall bill for most run of the mill tuners, a boosted engine combination requires understanding of how crucial getting the fuel and timing correct while under boost. I've worked with blown automotive applications, you would be amazed at how quick you can damage engine parts if you get the tune wrong. You could try touching base with Dragos Bike Works http://dragosbikeworks.com/ and see if they can recommend a qualified tuner close to you, they specialize in turbo and supercharged engine combinations.

can he dyno tune a 03 road king trike with a procharger.I live in s.c.can"t find anybody to do this

Try calling the HD dealer in Statesville NC. I have had them tune 2 trikes. They did good. Now I don't know if they can do your setup but might be worth a call.

have you tried using the Dynojet web site and their dyno locator

http://www.dynojet.com/DynoCenters/D...a_distance=250

it looks like there may be a shop with a 250ix dyno near the Rockingham Dragway

http://www.ehsracing.com/

check them out or use the Dynojet locator

I hesitate recommending dyno services who do ATV's as their primary business, especially when someone has a turbo or supercharged combination. If the shop doesn't have someone familiar with tuning a Harley it might not end well. There was a video floating around on another forum a few years ago where a poor souls engine grenaded on a dyno. The tech was used to tuning Harley's, he just screwed the pooch. He forgot to turn off the dyno brake when he opened the throttle for a WOT pull, the combination of too high of a gear and a dyno brake on scattered the guys engine. You would hear the carnage when it went boom.

I hesitate recommending dyno services who do ATV's as their primary business, especially when someone has a turbo or supercharged combination. If the shop doesn't have someone familiar with tuning a Harley it might not end well. There was a video floating around on another forum a few years ago where a poor souls engine grenaded on a dyno. The tech was used to tuning Harley's, he just screwed the pooch. He forgot to turn off the dyno brake when he opened the throttle for a WOT pull, the combination of too high of a gear and a dyno brake on scattered the guys engine. You would hear the carnage when it went boom.

m3, that is why TT is so great for info, guys like you that know what going on and the description of total destruction is just one great plus.

I've seen car & truck engines explode on dynos, but I sure don't want to be around a bike engine explosion, not much to stop the flying parts!!:AGGHH::D

m3, that is why TT is so great for info, guys like you that know what going on and the description of total destruction is just one great plus.

I've seen car & truck engines explode on dynos, but I sure don't want to be around a bike engine explosion, not much to stop the flying parts!!:AGGHH::D

If the person operating the dyno doesn't know what he is doing, damage is possible. My 06 Ultra has spent many of sessions on a dyno. I did happen to come across the one dyno I was talking about, the video is kind of long, it doesn't get good until the 6 minute mark, and boom in the 7 minute area

Mike, Thanks for the video, the look on the operators face:AGGHH: after he moves his leg & looks at the camera tells it all :Shrug::confused:

I'll bet he had to clean his shorts afterward. When the guy who owns the bike posted the video on another forum there were a couple dyno operators who keyed right into where he screwed up. 2 of them instantly said he made the fatal pull with the dyno brake engaged, they saw where he hurried up and turned it off when the engine let go. The brake on the dyno is used to put load on the engine to test areas of the map which requires load to do so, when engaged you can really hear it pull the engine down. It is only engaged while at a steady state, not when the throttle is closed and then opened for a WOT pull.

One of the many reasons I won't let someone dyno any of my Harley's who doesn't know how to tune one. I've trailer'd bikes and trikes 200 - 500 miles to be placed on a dyno and tuned by a competent tuner. We have an ATV shop which is only 8 miles from my home, they have a DJ250ix dyno which would take a trike. Only way I would put one on their dyno is if they allowed me to work with the operator. Even then I would be hesitant because they could do something before I could say don't.

- - - Updated - - -

oops

:cxtv:

That would be one sick feeling in the pit of the stomach for sure. The dealer who scattered it actually stepped up and helped obtain a new engine for it.

My wife had a FRANKENSTEIN kit put on her 1200 Sportster, along with new short exhaust and new cleaner. My local guys tried twice to reset maps without a dyno but it never tuned well. Still backfires.
I called a local dealer with a trike Dyno machine and they quoted $350 to tune it. I already have the SS plug in for tuning before it was a trike and ran great with the first set of pipes/cleaner upgrades ( not the same as new ones on the trike).
This fee seems ridiculous to me!! That is almost 4 hours labor!! Has anyone ACTUALLY WATCHED their dyno tune to see how long it took. I can't hardly believe more than an hour could be used. I mean ACTUALLY WATCHED OR DONE, not stories?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrArcade
Back