Dicovering the Tunnel under Route 66

Phill Griggs

450+ Posts
Oct 27, 2011
Bixby Ok
<font size="4">Sunday a group of us took out for the Tunnel that goes under Route 66 in Chelsea, Ok. This tunnel was build after Route 66 was open back in the 20's. So many people where getting hurt or killed trying to cross the road that they build tunnels under so people could cross. The 40mph speed was to much for some. </font><font size="4">several cities build these tunnels. They say that this is the only one left on Route 66. After discovering the Tunnel we rode to eat at claytons in Vinita then over into MO. and Ark. then back home "Enjoy the ride"</font><br />
<font size="4">
<iframe class="restrain" title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bPwvvi4oNp8?wmode=opaque" frameborder="0"></iframe>
</font>

Enjoyed the video Phill, we've never been out that way so I didn't know about the tunnels, some very nice riding.

Thanks for sharing. In all my trips to NE Oklahoma I never encountered it and will put it on my things to do. In London, England they call these the 'Subway' I discovered on my first trip over there and they had public restrooms down there too.<br />
<br />
Dave

I lived in Tulsa when I was a kid, and I remember a tunnel like that under Admiral (?) between Harvard and Sheridan (?). We left in '64, so the memory's a little hazy, but I think those are the right streets. It's been decades since I've been back.

Interesting!!<br />
<br />
As a 14 year old kid, I worked at Howard Johnson's on the Maine Turnpike (exit 3, Kennebunk). There was a tunnel that crossed under all 4 lanes of the turnpike so you could access the restaurants on either the North or Southbound lanes.<br />
<br />
One of my jobs was that I had to sweep the entire tunnel. They didn't supply dust masks or any type of compound to keep the dust from stirring up. Before I reached the halfway point, you could not see from one end or the other of the tunnel. I would be hacking up mud for several hours after I finished.<br />
<br />
One day, some nice guy decided to throw a cherry bomb into the tunnel while I was sweeping....my ears rang for days after that.

M80's and tunnels don't mix too well for sure. Howard Johnson had good fried clams at one time.
If that tunnel was in NY, the walls, ceiling, floor, and light fixtures would be either signed, or spray painted.
Oh yah- light fixtures would of been stolen or bulbs removed :gah:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back