Derby Cover Stripped Thread

Sep 10, 2013
Tyler, Tx, USA
:gah:Even with a inch pound torque wrench, I have managed to strip a thread in the primary cover where the derby cover goes on. Does anyone have repair for this, other than replacing primary cover? Any help would be appreciated.

I would think since you must remove the primary anyway try to tap the threads next size up and visit Ace hardware. Five matching new screws and no one will notice.

Thanks for all the responses . I will try a sert on next oil change. This forum is great and the knowledge is unlimited...........thanksThumbUp

I forgot I had used them before, it's called a time-sert. It is the best thread repair, I have found. I used one on a breather bolt and made it just like new. Thanks to all the replies, it jogged my memory.

Last edited:
Good luck! Been there a time or two over the years. Just put on a custom Derby cover and I almost did the same to one of the screws. Backed out and got it right with fingers only. Usually after I get it screwed up once, I take it to a pro and pay the price to get it fixed.

Thanks for all the responses . I will try a sert on next oil change. This forum is great and the knowledge is unlimited...........thanksThumbUp

I forgot I had used them before, it's called a time-sert. It is the best thread repair, I have found. I used one on a breather bolt and made it just like new. Thanks to all the replies, it jogged my memory.

I'm glad you mentioned time-sert, I had never heard of them, but after checking the website it made me wish I didn't have 15 plus sets of helicoils. I have been using helicoils for years without problems, but I really like the looks of the time-sert. I know exactly what I need to say so that I will have a need to try the time-sert, it works almost every time.
"I've been lucky, I haven't stripped a thread in a long, long time" :D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back