Computer

rocket1lf

450+ Posts
Dec 7, 2013
Hot Arizona, USA
Has anyone tried to have the computer re-programed? Since I dropped my rear end to a 3.73, the transmission drops gears going up the hills. I was in a speed shop yesterday talking with them. The owner said he could probably get the motor up to between 180 and 200 HP, get the torque up and change the shift points in the transmission. He said he could probably get the gas mileage up by doing this also as the engine would be operating at it's peak efficiency. This would all be done while the trike is strapped down to a dynamometer. Right now with the new rear end, at 70mph I'm running about 2250 RPM's. I'm getting around 32-33 mpg's going up and down the hills out here. I haven't had it on a flat highway yet to see what I get on flat terrain.

Has anyone tried to have the computer re-programed? Since I dropped my rear end to a 3.73, the transmission drops gears going up the hills. I was in a speed shop yesterday talking with them. The owner said he could probably get the motor up to between 180 and 200 HP, get the torque up and change the shift points in the transmission. He said he could probably get the gas mileage up by doing this also as the engine would be operating at it's peak efficiency. This would all be done while the trike is strapped down to a dynamometer. Right now with the new rear end, at 70mph I'm running about 2250 RPM's. I'm getting around 32-33 mpg's going up and down the hills out here. I haven't had it on a flat highway yet to see what I get on flat terrain.

Sounds interesting. I have not heard of anyone messing with the ECM. But your the first I have heard that changed the gear ratio also. The original program I was told was developed by ROUSH Racing. No reason it can not be changed to accommodate your changes. Keeps us informed on the process.

I don't know if I would believe anything from TBMS. When I had rear end problems, they said it was a Ford rear end. It definitely was not Ford and whoever set it up set the backlash way loose which destroyed the ring and pinion with only 12000 miles on it. They also say there is no problem with the early ladder bars and we all know they break at the front heim joint. That's why they redesigned them. Don't get me wrong, I love this thing. I just need to make it safe to ride so I feel comfortable taking my SO on it. Right now, I don't because of the possible ladder bars breaking. It happened to a friend of mine with his wife with him. He said it got real interesting trying to control it. TBMS said they would replace it if it broke. I asked them what they would do if I got hurt because of it breaking and Richard had nothing to say.

My ladder bars did break and I guess I was lucky because it broke just as I was turning a corner and I was only going about 30 mph. I've never had any problems with TBMS, They replaced my ladder bars (after they broke) and I have worked on the rear end replacing the seal and it was a Ford 7 1/2 rear diff. What was your rear end if it wasn't a Ford? Hope you can get everything worked out and get some more riding on your Stallion.

I have been looking at the 5015 SCT from livewire TS it will change almost all of the factory settings shift points, change of tire sizes, remove the throttle body shut down ,. the list go on and on.... not cheap $600-$800 and a simple unplugging restores to factory setting and monitor screen to change while your driving where you can set it up for gas mileage or performance..

My ladder bars did break and I guess I was lucky because it broke just as I was turning a corner and I was only going about 30 mph. I've never had any problems with TBMS, They replaced my ladder bars (after they broke) and I have worked on the rear end replacing the seal and it was a Ford 7 1/2 rear diff. What was your rear end if it wasn't a Ford? Hope you can get everything worked out and get some more riding on your Stallion.

Thanks Ed, The housing is Ford, but the gears weren't. We couldn't figure out who's gears they were, but they did not have Ford stampings on them like the new gear set that was installed. I still have the old set and couldn't find any information about the numbers or logo stamped on it. Richard denied having any problems with rear ends and we know some people on this form have had theirs replaced by TBMS.

I tried talking to Richard and he did say they would replace the ladder bars if they broke. By that time it's too late if you're doing 70mph around a turn on the highway. I do love it and out here in AZ we ride 12 months a year. I just put 200 miles on it yesterday on a breakfast ride. We do go up and down the mountains at 65 to 70mph. I don't want them to break and go off a hill or into a rock wall. It would probably hurt.

Have a Merry Christmas
Rick

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I have been looking at the 5015 SCT from livewire TS it will change almost all of the factory settings shift points, change of tire sizes, remove the throttle body shut down ,. the list go on and on.... not cheap $600-$800 and a simple unplugging restores to factory setting and monitor screen to change while your driving where you can set it up for gas mileage or performance..

Hey Doc, That's about what it's going to cost to have it set up on the Dyno. I don't know enough to be able to set it up by myself. I figure I'll let the experts do it.

Rick

Here's what I know now. The guy at the speed shop knows the people at Roush that set up the computers for TBMS. The computer I have in mine is an 08 computer from a Ford E series V8 van. Roush plays with them and sets them up for the 2.3 4 cyl. motor we have. When we checked mine, it had corrupt programing in it. After calling Roush, we found out the codes they program in it are locked. The only way to reprogram the computer is to either get the unlock codes from Roush or pull the computer and reflash it. It was suggested to just leave the computer alone and put the 4.10 gears back in the trike. Now I have a decision since my old gears are shot. The conclusion is to not mess with the computer or gears.

What will you lose to call Roush and ask about the unlock codes. The worst they could say is no and you do what you have to do. If they say yes then you go that route. Good luck.

The guy at Roush, that has the unlock codes, is off until Jan 5. I think I'll just put the 4.10 gears back in it, but I'm going to wait until after we talk with him first.

After all that messing around with the new gears and or computer program, did you ever figure out just how many miles you will have to drive before you even brake even ??? Not trying to be smart but I don't think you will ever re-coop the investment. Would be nice if TMS did all that for the future Stallions !!

Tomg

After all that messing around with the new gears and or computer program, did you ever figure out just how many miles you will have to drive before you even brake even ??? Not trying to be smart but I don't think you will ever re-coop the investment. Would be nice if TMS did all that for the future Stallions !!

Tomg

I haven't messed with the computer, so that hasn't cost anything. I did goof with the gears, but the shop that has the original 4.10 gears now thinks they can save them. The pinion is good, but the ring is galled. He's going to see if he can repair the ring and set up the pinion so it doesn't hit the bad spots on the ring. Being a speed shop, he says he does that all the time. I'll know tomorrow. If they can, I'm going to put the original gears back in and see if I can sell the 3.73 gears. If they were set up correctly in the first place, I wouldn't have had to mess with them. The backlash was set up way too loose causing the damage. The trike only had 12K on it when I purchased it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back