Brake switch recall...NO REAR BRAKES!

BTW, I put 20,000 miles on my Street Glide Trike in 13 months. In the mtns and twisties...My brake pads on the front and back were like new! I down shift instead of braking at every curve and decline! I don't ride others butts and allow some room. [/COLOR]

Is that would you called it when you were ghosting my bumper and making me look like I needed a few more horses? :Trike1: LOL

...actually I was trying to keep from running over some guy on a RoadKing. HAHAHA

Hope you guys are doing well...

Silly question time.

Am I supposed to wait for a recall notice to come in the mail first? Or let them forward it to my next of kin?

My brakes seem fine to me. I have not had to skid yet so I can't say if they will. I heard about the recall but that was about a month ago. No other word except for this thread? I hear so much BS on the news every night and morning that isn't news-worthy. This should be on the top of their list. Oh wait, that's right, just some dumb, red neck biker........who cares...........serves them right..........

Rob

BTW, I put 20,000 miles on my Street Glide Trike in 13 months. In the mtns and twisties...My brake pads on the front and back were like new! I down shift instead of braking at every curve and decline! I don't ride others butts and allow some room. I have been behind trikes riders that keep their foot on the brakes most of the time. No wonder the brake pads wear outs so quickly. I can say that I'm a fairly aggressive rider and keep up with most anyone. As I said in the beginning, why would you not test your brakes before leaving the dealership if you just had work done on the brakes?

By the life you had on the brakes of your 1st trike it sounds like your doing all the right things. I changed the rear brakes on my dads when they had 20,000 miles on them and he could have gotten another 5 - 10,000 more on them. His fronts have 28,000+ on them and still have some life left, going to change them anyways because we have new ones just sitting around waiting for it.

After reading the result's on this and other forum's that some owner's are having after the switch replacement, I think I'll wait a while before having it done. The wife and I haven't had any problem's with our brakes on either bike, but that doesn't mean we won't.

TNT you are right about checking the brakes before I left the dealer premises. That is precisely what happened, thank God! After emailing the Service and General manager, it was explained to me that a miscommunication occurred. They said it, that explained it and settled it. They promised me that they will be more diligent in the future, but as always.....buyer beware. And for all of you who asked if you need to wait for a letter....the answer is no.

had the recall done today, the original part number as well as the replacement number were both on the paperwork that was given back to me. not similar at all. does anyone know how the new switch differs from the original?

Just got the recall notice today from the MOCo for my wifes 2011 Tri Glide. What the heck, from reading here I knew of the issue. Just wondering why it took so long to recieve the official notice? The recall said the issue was due to heat. Which we have taken care of. Now I hear they don't bleed the brakes. Wow unbelievable....

Just got the recall notice today from the MOCo for my wifes 2011 Tri Glide. What the heck, from reading here I knew of the issue. Just wondering why it took so long to recieve the official notice? The recall said the issue was due to heat. Which we have taken care of. Now I hear they don't bleed the brakes. Wow unbelievable....

Cover yourself and get the recall done anyway.

If I had a TG (which I don't) and it had a banjo-bolt that connects the main brake line to the tee (which I don't know), I would replace that banjo bolt with a brake light banjo bolt, which will accept the switch. Then, you can move the switch completely out of harms way by plugging the 1/8 NPT hole where the switch is now located. You probably have enough slack in the switch wiring to re-route it close enough to the tee connection.

I know I am just guessing here and I have only done this on conversions, but it appears all the MOCO is doing is replacing the switch with one that won't melt-down. You still have the blow-torch on the switch, but I suppose the Harley way is not to move the switch away from the blow-torch....but put one on that doesn't melt. I suppose you do have the warranty thing to consider, but I would move it away from the hot exhaust components anyway. The switch does not care where it is as long as it is in the circuit somewhere. Seems like many of you are having to bleed the brakes anyhow.

Got my recall notice in the mail yesterday as well. My TG is already in storage up at the HD dealer but the service manager has already told me they would probably replace the switch sometime while it is in storage. he said they had about 35 to 40 switches on hand and would do them as they were brought in or while they were in storage. As long as it is ready for me come March or April of 2012 when our ND winter ends.

I'm not sure if any of this helps anyone or not but......., was at the dealer this past weekend and the service tech showed me the bad switch they are replacing. It is a pressed fit switch and basically, is two parts. He showed me how the terminal half spins freely from the threaded half. And explained how with vibrations it's possible (and has become obvious from experienceto MOCO) that you can loose electrical contact inside the switch between the two halves and/or fluid will begin to leak, or the wire half will twist and could possible pull the wires off at the terminals. He said it was simply a poor design. He went on to say that the replacement is the 4th design of it. The replacement he showed me does not spin freely. He did say that it would only take like 45 minutes, and also, that they hook it up to a computer and they don't have to bleed the brakes. Of course when I asked about checking the brakes after the work he reassured me (and this has always been my experience with this dealer) that as in the past, as is their policy, they would never give me back the Trike without a test drive by one of the service managers, for not only this service but for any service. So, I consider myself lucky on two points, no brake failures and my dealer is and has always been to me, trustworthy and honest.

Now of course, on a side note, I have inquired about purchasing a H-D alarm for the Trike and have told me that they must do the install. I am of course questioning this fact but to be honest, it's not worth the $36 they want to charge for labor (when the parts are already like $460 something) to possibly degrade the relationship we have, or my time.

Rob

That was a very good and detailed explanation there M.A.T. You would think that after installing some....hundreds-of-thousands of brake switches on scooters for this long, MOCO should have found one by now that was of not a "poor design". I bet this switch of "poor design" cost 2-cents less than one of a better design they had been using for the past 20-years before this problem surfaced. They just took another short-cut that bit them in the butt.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tool
Back