Brake Lights

Jun 11, 2024
Harriman, Tennessee
Name
Lucy
2015 Harley Freewheeler rear brake lights staying on . Cleaned out handle brake and doesn't assist the pedal brake is sticking what else can I try besides the bulbs themselves in the taillights.

I would first pull the wire connections from the pressure switch at the rear master cylinder. See if that turns off the lights. If it does, then apply front brake lever and lights should work properly. At that point you’ve found a bad pressure switch (which is a pretty common problem).

The pressure switch for the rear brakes is right next to the front exhaust pipe, not a good place for the switch, HD has had 3 upgrades to this switch, it is not in as very user friendly place to change without using some special tools, but you can check that switch for trouble codes to be sure that is the problem child

I replaced the switch on a friends TriGlide. I’ll admit it was a bit of a challenge. On my Freewheeler, it looks to be a much easier. I only lost a few drops of fluid and it wasn’t necessary to bleed the brakes.

I have done this before also and did not have to bleed the brakes, it would not hurt to do this if you cannot remember the last time you bled the brakes tho, fresh clean fluid = better stopping power

Hi Lucy Welcome to Trike Talk
You have a bad brake light switch, if you look at it you will see why they go bad, no one but Harley would put a switch where they did exposed to such high heat

The engineers at Harley had to be really stupid to put a switch next to the exhaust pipe. They did this to the touring bikes too. Right next to the converter on my 12 streetglide. Bunch of dummys.

The engineers at Harley had to be really stupid to put a switch next to the exhaust pipe. They did this to the touring bikes too. Right next to the converter on my 12 streetglide. Bunch of dummys.
Harley had a recall on some of these switches for 19-22 models, IMO they should have recalled ALL of them knowing the heat would cause early failure, instead they chose to upgrade the switch instead, I think there has been at least upgrades to this switch
You may plead your case with your local service manager, they may choose to good will a newer switch for you

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNT
Back