Blue Ridge Parkway Ride

Feb 12, 2014
South Carolina
My son (just graduated HS) and I took a ride down the Blue Ridge Parkway to get some father/son time in before he heads off to college. We went from mile post 0 to mile post 469 (beginning to end of the BRP) in two days. Met up with my Uncle (rides a GW trike) in Boone N.C. and rode the rest of the Parkway together.

What a trip! It was my first time riding down the entire BRP, and other than experiencing some serious thunderstorms while in the clouds (w/5 feet visibility) it was one of the best road trips I've made.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I've ridden a trike all over the Smokey Mountains, from Maggie Valley to Pigeon Forge, but for some reason I had never ridden the BRP.
Now, I plan on doing it once a year or so. I'd recommend this ride to anyone who is in the area and has two or three days to spare.

Bubba

I do the Skyline Drive(very beginning) then the BRP, then the Cherohala Skyway (very end) every year going back home from Rolling Thunder.
I love it. Matter of fact last year I rode behind a group of rice rockets for 7 miles (just to prove a trike can handle OK - to disprove what non trike riders think).

So far every year has been perfect weather - except 2 years ago I did run into a heavy rain downpour for the last 10 miles on the Cherohala.

A friend of mine says it's too boring - he likes riding out west in the sand and rocks - to me THAT"S boring. :laugh:

Glad you and your son had a great time. I wish mine would come with me sometime. ThumbUp

Thanks for Sharing.....ThumbUp....Having ridden the Blue Ridge Parkway and Cherohala Skyway several times, You never know what kind of Weather You may encounter on any section of each one during "ANY" Season.....be prepared with "Gear".....ThumbUp

Thanks for Sharing.....ThumbUp....Having ridden the Blue Ridge Parkway and Cherohala Skyway several times, You never know what kind of Weather You may encounter on any section of each one during "ANY" Season.....be prepared with "Gear".....ThumbUp

Thanks. I definitely made good use of my rain gear, but the 5 feet of visibility during the storms are what made it hectic. I said a lot of prayers while taking curves with no visibility. All in all though, it was a breathtaking ride (all 469 miles of it).

Bubba

The BRP is an all-time favorite. I'd like to make it an annual event, if I can. I just love the rhythm of the ride on the Parkway; it's almost meditative, when you add the never-to-be-see-anywhere-else scenery. Thanks for sharing!

The Blue Ridge is a great ride, Glad you and your Son could take it in. Love to ride it.

Thanks much. I plan on making it an annual ride now that I've seen what it was like. Beats the heck out of crossing the mountain from Cherokee to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge.

Bubba

What's that white thing behind the Harley??? Just kidding, I know it's a Vespa. :D :D

I guess I was pretty lucky, I didn't run into any rain or fog on the whole trip. Clear and sunny all the way - last year. Did get a little rain a few years back though.

What's that white thing behind the Harley??? Just kidding, I know it's a Vespa. :D :D I guess I was pretty lucky, I didn't run into any rain or fog on the whole trip. Clear and sunny all the way - last year. Did get a little rain a few years back though.

That's my Uncle's GW. He traded an 09 TG for it. Damn thing is a lot faster and cooler than my TG and XXX, but I've got too many Harley tattoos to change to a Honda..:)

Yeah, the weather really sucked on the 2nd day, but it did make the last part of the ride interesting. Just the thought of how screwed I'd be if I missed a curve during periods of no visibility made it a blast...

Bubba

Great ride. The pilots like to say they went IFR ( I follow Roads) for us on the Blue Ridge it is IFL (I follow Lines) can't see anything else. Even then it is a great ride.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tool
Back