Best way to jack up rear end of trike

wow What was being lifted in the last picture with the bent lift table? It looks like a Hardy BOB. I use one and hope it never does this. :AGGHH:

The one in the picture is the run of the mill 1,000 lb rated Handy, the BOB is rated at 1,500 lb. I also use a 1,500 lb rated BOB with no issues. The only problem I do have is my 2012 Hannigan wing won't fit on it with the trike wings, the rear track is to wide and it is to long without installing a chopper extension.

tglift1.jpg

Picked up the jack today. As you can see on the side it is labeled Car, motorcycle, ATV @ 4,000 lbs.

This is the T I have spoke about: Works great for tie down points and to use it to lift the trike. I will remake the T to a longer Flat bar for more support.

Now this may make more sense now.

This jack is very heavily built, don't try to carry it by yourself. It picked the trike up with ease. Comes with a solid rod lock bar for safety. All wheels are metal. I pulled it off the shelf like all other bike jacks before. This one when almost hit the floor. Wasn't expecting it to be that heavy. As far as 2 wheels bikes are concerned, it isn't wide enough to suite me.. Has plenty of muscle to do what ever but I feel it's a little on the narrow side for me. But I didn't get it for that.

I run my rear tires up on a couple 2X10's. Place my Sears motorcycle jack under from the rear and jack it up. The front wheel is placed against a wall. I lock the jack wheels and and lock the safety rod on the jack. I have placed a couple floor safety jacks under it.... just in case. It's a CSC.

I tried several ways to lift both rear wheels off the ground at the same time and be safe in the process. None of them were very satisfactory. I had some 1 1/4" square tubing on hand so I welded up a rectangular frame welded a stinger of the same size to fit the receiver hitch on my RoadSmith Kit. I also have a Sears motorcycle jack left over from my two wheeling days that will not fit underneath the frame of the trike without raising the front wheel high enough to allow it to fit underneath. Even then, the rear of the trike is heavier than the front and the whole thing will not lift off the ground.

I parked the Sears jack underneath the trailer hitch area of the trike, took some measurement to make certain the frame I built would fit both the hitch receiver and allow the jack to slide underneath the frame. The frame is wide enough to fit over the lifting arms of the Sears jack with a few inches hanging over each arm. I raise the Sears jack which contacts the frame which is secured in the receiver hitch. The rear of the trike raises easily off the ground and I can secure the jack with the locking mechanism that is part of the jack. The frame is secured to the trike with no possibility of moving and it also sits very stable on the lifting arms of the jack.

I can raise the rear tires to just clear the ground or higher if necessary for some other work. I can also raise the front end of the trike at the same time with a scissors type jack placed underneath the motor. This is a very stable and safe way to raise the trike. It works very well for me, and can be used anywhere the Sears jack can be used.
Pics please?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back