Best final gear ratio for V Star 1100 trike ?

I am presently in the process of converting my 2000 V Star 1100 to trike. I am using a a narrowed 1991 Ford mustang differential. Now I have the choice of 3.73 and 2.73 gear ratio. Can anyone tell me which gear ratio would be best ?

For comparison I had a 05 Venture with a Tri-Wing conversion. That bike had a 3:42 gear ratio. It raised the rpms at 70mph about 250 rpms over the stock gearing. I now have a Hannigan trike which uses a 3:73 gear ratio and that raises the rpms to about 500 rpms over stock at 70mph.
Comparing the performance between the two bikes, I prefer the 3:73 gearing, especially when towing my trailer or riding in mountainous areas. The 3:42 gearing required more down shifting, but it did give a slight edge to gas mileage when just out riding.
Larry

Larry has much more trike experience and understands the required changes much more than I do.All I can add is the stock ratio is 2.875.Keep in mind your choice in tire diameter will affect your actual difference.

there is no exact science here, i would go with the one that is closest to stock then choose the tires that will make the result a slightly higher ratio.that is.. about 200-500 rpm higher at about 60mph you might find a couple tires at the junk yard to try for size before spending the $ on a set that dont work

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back