Belt adjustment

3W-lonerider

350+ Posts
Feb 18, 2008
Shippensburg, Pa
Just have a quick guestion. I'm assuming most bikes in this section are belt diven. How often does the belt need adjusted. And how long does one normally last on a trike.

Thinking of getting a kawasaki vaquero but I've never had a belt driven bike.

Just have a quick guestion. I'm assuming most bikes in this section are belt diven. How often does the belt need adjusted. And how long does one normally last on a trike.

Thinking of getting a kawasaki vaquero but I've never had a belt driven bike.

Typically one should expect to get approximately 40,000 miles out of a belt. Though I am not familiar with Kawasaki's recommended service on them, I believe 40k is considered the point in which belts are recommended to be changed. Far better than chains at any rate. As for adjustment, they will usually require the initial adjustment and then another within a relatively short time afterwards. From that point they may not ever need readjustment until replaced or you have to remove them for servicing of other equipment. Again, significantly less service than a chain.

Typically one should expect to get approximately 40,000 miles out of a belt. Though I am not familiar with Kawasaki's recommended service on them, I believe 40k is considered the point in which belts are recommended to be changed. Far better than chains at any rate. As for adjustment, they will usually require the initial adjustment and then another within a relatively short time afterwards. From that point they may not ever need readjustment until replaced or you have to remove them for servicing of other equipment. Again, significantly less service than a chain.

do the pulleys need replaced to. i know the sprockets, on a chain drive do. but i haven't had a chain drive since the early 80's. iv'e had a shaft drive bike for over 25 years. so anything you can say to enlighten me i'd appreciate it.

do the pulleys need replaced to. i know the sprockets, on a chain drive do. but i haven't had a chain drive since the early 80's. iv'e had a shaft drive bike for over 25 years. so anything you can say to enlighten me i'd appreciate it.

In a word NO, check the pulleys with a fingernail for any sharp edges;)

Look at the wear pattern on the pulleys

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back