ADV valve

This mod which takes all of 5 minutes makes no sense to me.
What does placing a drilled nickel in the space do??
Is it the nickel taking up what would be a miniscule amount of space proving less fluid volume??:xzqxz:

While the shim kit adds volume???
By increasing the space.

There are 2 functional parts to the ADV
the top part = the plunger
The bottom part = The actual valve

The plunger is activated by you applying the brakes presses down on the actual ADV valve in the part of the fork that it is attached to below. So it is a plunger that is operated by brake pressure the presses down on another valve that controls Fork fluid.

By putting the spacer/nickle/shim in between the 2 units (plunger/upper & valve/below) you are moving the plunger further away from the valve so that even when it (the plunger) is activated it will not reach the valve that it is intended to activate. THUS defeating the ADV function...
hope that helped

There are 2 functional parts to the ADV
the top part = the plunger
The bottom part = The actual valve

The plunger is activated by you applying the brakes presses down on the actual ADV valve in the part of the fork that it is attached to below. So it is a plunger that is operated by brake pressure the presses down on another valve that controls Fork fluid.

By putting the spacer/nickle/shim in between the 2 units (plunger/upper & valve/below) you are moving the plunger further away from the valve so that even when it (the plunger) is activated it will not reach the valve that it is intended to activate. THUS defeating the ADV function...
hope that helped

Thank you.
Your description of how this works couldn't be any clearer.
At 1st it made no sense until reading your explanation that it STOPS the valve from being actuated.

Now I got it through my thick skull.:clapping:

Do any of you that have done this mod have progressive springs up front??
Im thinking I must after riding around for a week now.
My bike doesn't really dive under hard braking.
Never has as I didn't buy this new.
I don't know what springs I do have.
But I am feeling every ripple in the roads now.
Just at much reduced rate.

Do any of you that have done this mod have progressive springs up front??
Im thinking I must after riding around for a week now.
My bike doesn't really dive under hard braking.
Never has as I didn't buy this new.
I don't know what springs I do have.
But I am feeling every ripple in the roads now.
Just at much reduced rate.

Jay I don't think this spacer totally disables the ADV. I have one and I can still lock up the forks by stepping on the rear brake peddle. That is how I was told to verify the ADV was indeed working. There may be a way to totally disable it but I don't know that trick. I do think the spacer lessens the harshness but like you I still feel some bumps and my front does not dip when braking. :xszpv::xszpv:

Its just one of those weird things.
Is it actually better??
Or OK??
To me its like taking a vision test after awhile the changes are so minute.
You don't know what to say, so you guess.
Better or worse?
Cant tell Doc.................next........

Installed so sweat BUT Is it just me? Don't find any difference, or barely so. Must be these smooth Los Angeles roads;)

By virtue of how the system is designed ADV should not come into play until the brakes are applied. If it is sticking then I can see really bone jarring bumps happening. Soon after that there will probably be a blown fork seal as well...

My '01 did that not too long after I bought it when the GL1800 first came out. I guess HONDA redesigned that area some because we don't have near as many failures as the early years did.

In a way I think its funny. When this mod was discussed a few weeks or days ago.
I did it using the drilled nickel. I ran it for about 10 days and felt every little ripple in the road.
I just took it out Wednesday night and to me my front end is better with the ADV.
So as I thought right from the beginning.
I must have progressive springs in my forks.
When and if I find a need to have the springs changed I will go back to stock springs.

I hope for you this solves your seal problems.

How does this work? Seems like allows same amount of rear brake feed-back?

Does the brakes have to be bled after this is installed? Is there brake fluid lost while installing this?

I really hate the harsh crash the front end does, even on the expansion joints on a concrete interstate highway.

No you dont have to bleed a thing, its a 3 min hex drive installation

I was talking to my technician yesterday and suggested to him the suggestion that have been posted on this thread. He looked at me like I had two heads and then asked me if I had been smoking dope. He said that by modifying the ADV valve there was no way that could help with rough riding on the front forks. The ADV valve worked only when applying the brakes.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back