Valve adjustment

brianl

300+ Posts
May 16, 2013
leominster, ma. USA
I have a 2017 wing with a Roadsmith kit. I believe it says in the manual that it should have the valves adjusted at 30,000 miles. It currently has 27,000. This may be a stupid question but what is the purpose of having the valves adjusted and what happens if you don’t have it done? I traded in my 97 wing with 53,000 miles, never had it done and It never was an issue. Also, what would be a reasonable price to have it done?

Most who have them checked don't need a adjustment. If everything is running fine, wait till 60,000 miles. That's what I'm doing

Didn't a 97 wing have Hydraulic valves meaning you don't need to adjust them?

My guess in today's insane labor world, $300-600 to get them checked

I have a 2017 wing with a Roadsmith kit. I believe it says in the manual that it should have the valves adjusted at 30,000 miles. It currently has 27,000. This may be a stupid question but what is the purpose of having the valves adjusted and what happens if you don’t have it done? I traded in my 97 wing with 53,000 miles, never had it done and It never was an issue. Also, what would be a reasonable price to have it done?

Honda says 5th gens need their valves check and adjusted as needed every 32k. Here we change 4.5 hrs of labor. Sometime valve cover gaskets, and new crush washers are needed too. We probably adjust more 5th gen valves here then any other shop, and the goal here is to center spec the valves. I can think of no customer who does not notice the differeance after they've been properly adjust. The benifits are snappier throttle, less crank time when starting, smoother running at freeway speeds, and better mpg.

4th gens had hydrolic lifters, and by design, did not need valve adjustments. 5th gens do not use that lifter design, thus the need for them needing checked.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back