2014 Clutch Recall

Really don't want to start flaming HD but you guys should know the facts so here goes.

The parts are being "shipped" to the dealers the week of Oct 21, not received.

Most all dealers do not receive their orders until Thursday of each week.

The bikes in stock at each dealer will be fixed first. HD will not allow dealers to be left without bikes to sell.

The bikes owned and brought in will be repaired first come, first serve after the floor models.

Due to the volume of bikes being effected (I heard up to 60,000) the first shipment of repair parts will be limited.

I also hear the hydraulic clutch issue is based in the reservoir at the clutch lever. The issue will mostly effect two wheel bikes. When on the jiffy stand the fluid port falls below the fill line. When you pull in the clutch lever while on the stand air will be introduced into the hydraulic lines. When this happens the clutch may not disengage. I've also heard this is a overheating issue on the hydraulic line...doubt that is the problem. Have heard a few variations of this but the air issue makes sense and was repeated to me a few times by different sources.

There is a separate issue with the radios. These issues cause the communications center, blue tooth, CD and even the navigation system to lock up the radio. The issue is in the ECM and BUS module code. Therefore a new flash to the ECM will need to be installed. I have not heard if the code is ready at this time.

There are two colors of radiator caps. Blue and Grey. Seems, and I don't know which color goes where, the wrong color was shipped to the Water Cooled plant. (York). The Water Cooled Touring bikes are rated at 20# of pressure. The VRod is rated at 12- 15 #. Seems some of the Water Cooled Touring bikes had VRod caps installed by mistake. The VRod is made at the Milwaukee Plant.

All this information I have here is subjective to the people I get this info from. I don't get it from one person. Several contact me to discuss and this is an accumulation of what I perceive the facts to be. Sometimes you must read between the lines but when all say the same... I think you have a fact.

The rest is posted above... A&S clutch basket (Assist and Slip)

Oh, almost forgot.

NHTSA has had many complaints on the Water Cooled bikes. Seems the overflow line goes under the frame and stops at the transmission. When the bike overflows, anti-freeze is poured on the bike's back tire causing an unsafe condition to the rider.

NHTSA has promised litigation but since Washington is closed so it may take a while for them to crank this up.

Just left my dealer. My trike is on the truck and should get here (there) before the end of the day today. I assume that they will take care of any and all recalls before they send me on my way with my new TG tomorrow. I would hate to ride home tomorrow and then have them call me to bring it back to fix it.

Sorry but my guess is you will not be riding it home tomorrow. This is a DO NOT RIDE, DO NOT DELIVER recall. Unless of course your bike was built since 10/14 which I highly doubt. You'll be waiting with the rest of us.

Really don't want to start flaming HD but you guys should know the facts so here goes.

The parts are being "shipped" to the dealers the week of Oct 21, not received.

Most all dealers do not receive their orders until Thursday of each week.

The bikes in stock at each dealer will be fixed first. HD will not allow dealers to be left without bikes to sell.

The bikes owned and brought in will be repaired first come, first serve after the floor models.

Due to the volume of bikes being effected (I heard up to 60,000) the first shipment of repair parts will be limited.

I also hear the hydraulic clutch issue is based in the reservoir at the clutch lever. The issue will mostly effect two wheel bikes. When on the jiffy stand the fluid port falls below the fill line. When you pull in the clutch lever while on the stand air will be introduced into the hydraulic lines. When this happens the clutch may not disengage. I've also heard this is a overheating issue on the hydraulic line...doubt that is the problem. Have heard a few variations of this but the air issue makes sense and was repeated to me a few times by different sources.

There is a separate issue with the radios. These issues cause the communications center, blue tooth, CD and even the navigation system to lock up the radio. The issue is in the ECM and BUS module code. Therefore a new flash to the ECM will need to be installed. I have not heard if the code is ready at this time.

There are two colors of radiator caps. Blue and Grey. Seems, and I don't know which color goes where, the wrong color was shipped to the Water Cooled plant. (York). The Water Cooled Touring bikes are rated at 20# of pressure. The VRod is rated at 12- 15 #. Seems some of the Water Cooled Touring bikes had VRod caps installed by mistake. The VRod is made at the Milwaukee Plant.

All this information I have here is subjective to the people I get this info from. I don't get it from one person. Several contact me to discuss and this is an accumulation of what I perceive the facts to be. Sometimes you must read between the lines but when all say the same... I think you have a fact.

The rest is posted above... A&S clutch basket (Assist and Slip)

Thanks again! Makes me glad I was proactive and got mine in today. Looks like a week might be wishful thinking...

Stopped by the dealer this afternoon and they called the delivery company who said it would be there late today. The salesman told me it would be ready to go tomorrow. That was at 4:30 today... I had not seen anything about the recalls at that time. I am a little surprised the dealership didn't say something this afternoon about it. Not sure how to interpret the no discussion about the recall. Did they not know or not want to talk about it yet?

Ok a little late posting but just gotta say, owned my trike 3 weeks didn't even make a payment now I can't ride, first Harley, sure hope it's going to change, or i'll be back with the Kawi.

What's your build date boots?[/

Build Date:09/13

All will be over soon.. It seems that MOCO has found problem and has human error and not manufacturing defect. Should be an easy fix. :Coffee:

I'm guessing there will be no fix at all for most of us, just an inspection. My build date was 09/04. Hopefully, the MoCo will give the dealers the information they need Monday. Mine is just sitting there waiting...

Ok a little late posting but just gotta say, owned my trike 3 weeks didn't even make a payment now I can't ride, first Harley, sure hope it's going to change, or i'll be back with the Kawi.

Joe I know what your talking about just made my first payment last Friday, still waiting on my CB and now I got a recall to deal with. glad I still have my Yamaha Venture to ride.

As promised, my dealer called and will pick my trike up tomorrow and return the next day. They got the bulletin and some repair kits in this morning. The service writer said on the trikes, in most cases, it will just be an inspection.

Just checked mine and have the correct clutch. If this works here is what it looks like. What is the torque for the derby cover?

It needs to look just like this pic. It can have three bolts and still be wrong.
I got copies of the service bulletins and damn near had to beg my dealer to do the inspection. They didn't want to until they had the parts kits for the Trikes. Long story short, my bike is back in MY garage where it belongs.
There are no issues with the master cylinder on the Trikes which are different than the ones on the two wheel touring models.
I'm not a lawyer or a certified Harley tech and this advice is worth what you're paying for it...
If your release plates look like this pic and it's gonna be awhile before your dealer can get to the inspection...ride it.

- - - Updated - - -

Not liking this auto edit feature of the new look site.

Service techs came to my house today and removed the derby cover for inspection..all was good. Put on a new gasket and torqued the screws and I'm good to go. Can't say enough good about the way my dealer (Denny's) handled this issue. Awesome folks to deal with.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back