1966: First motorcycle ride. 10-14-22:First trike ride.

As you can see by the title, I have been riding motorcycles for a while. A week or so ago I purchased a 2009 GL 1800 with a 2015 Cobra XL kit. I had a very experienced California Side Car factory trained trike mechanic do a few things to make sure all was AOK. I picked it up about 7:00 a.m. yesterday in Beckley, West Virginia and had a beautiful ride down to Lewisburg, West Virginia and then on to Hillsville, Virginia. Absolutely beautiful ride with fall colors and great roads (NO interstates).

I had read lots of advice about "how to buy a trike" but figured I would just buy a high quality trike which led me to this quality machine I purchased. Great engineering, great looks, great style. HOWEVER, what I underestimated was the huge difference there is between riding a trike and a motorcycle. I took it very easy, very slow, and was very careful. The trike handled beautifully but I must say it takes a great deal of getting used to the machine and to develop the degree of confidence and expertise required to be a safe, competent trike operator.

I did not get over 50 miles an hour the entire trip. I cannot overemphasize the huge difference between operating a great motorcycle and operating a great trike. I will have to do a few tweaks with the seat, ect. to get it to fit me comfortably but I have no worries that will happen. I absolutely did not like the floorboa nords and heel toe shifter but I'll give that a few more rides before I take those off and put pegs and standard shifting and braking back onboard. In the meantime practice practice practice!

As you can see by the title, I have been riding motorcycles for a while. A week or so ago I purchased a 2009 GL 1800 with a 2015 Cobra XL kit. I had a very experienced California Side Car factory trained trike mechanic do a few things to make sure all was AOK. I picked it up about 7:00 a.m. yesterday in Beckley, West Virginia and had a beautiful ride down to Lewisburg, West Virginia and then on to Hillsville, Virginia. Absolutely beautiful ride with fall colors and great roads (NO interstates). I had read lots of advice about "how to buy a trike" but figured I would just buy a high quality trike which led me to this quality machine I purchased. Great engineering, great looks, great style. HOWEVER, what I underestimated was the huge difference there is between riding a trike and a motorcycle. I took it very easy, very slow, and was very careful. The trike handled beautifully but I must say it takes a great deal of getting used to the machine and to develop the degree of confidence and expertise required to be a safe, competent trike operator. I did not get over 50 miles an hour the entire trip. I cannot overemphasize the huge difference between operating a great motorcycle and operating a great trike. I will have to do a few tweaks with the seat, ect. to get it to fit me comfortably but I have no worries that will happen. I absolutely did not like the floorboa nords and heel toe shifter but I'll give that a few more rides before I take those off and put pegs and standard shifting and braking back onboard. In the meantime practice practice practice!

Good idea; give it a little time and miles, then make it “your own”.

Our first trike

On our first trike it had the floorboards and heal/toe shifter also. We liked it after a couple rides. I would just put my toes on the heal part of the shifter to upshift. After doing that a couple times it was just as easy as using your front part of your foot to shift on a regular shifter. At least for us it was.

Now we have an 18 DCT that will be getting triked later this month with a CSC Encore kit.

Ride it and try it like we did and you might change your mind rather quickly.

Good luck and enjoy.

Our first bike was in 64.

Hi Tom, give your riding skills some time to develop

Soon you will be riding miles with smiles, I think the more you ride the better you will like the floorboards, it gives the legs and feet a stress relief more than pegs IMO

I found that riding frequently, like a short ride each day, helped me a lot with my confidence and proficiency. I live in Texas, so I am blessed to be able to ride 12 months out of the year.

Welcome to the wonderful world of three. Give it some time and you will wonder why you didn't make the switch sooner.

I got used to the trike in 15 Minutes. I don't know what's so difficult about riding one???

Tom, Welcome to the world of three! If you eventually decide to do away with the H,T shifter and floorboards, there are other options available. I removed my floorboards and added mini boards and have conventional shifter and brake peddles. Then added highway pegs for extending legs. Very happy with this set up and it feels much more what I have been used to riding for many years. Lots of options for seat comfort. I have never found any OEM seat on any bike I have owned to be comfortable in its original configuration. I had a few seats modified by reshaping and adding Gel inserts with some degree of success. Best of all, I invested in a Tom Simmons Custom several years ago. That seat has been with me on 3 different Wings including my trike. A little pricy but worth every penny. Good luck..... Jim

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddienorman
Back