Honda Motorcycle and Trike Service Question

Mr. Fred - thanks for your insight. Perhaps we can compare Apples to Apples.

The Harley two-wheeler rides just as nice as any Wing, in my opinion. Since Honda does not make a trike, one has to add the kit from CSC, Roadsmith, etc.

Well, let's out the same kit on both the Harly and Wing - now compare that ride. My bet is you will get a pretty equal ride - just as smooth.

Now to the main question of service. I think you are more likely to get better bike service from the Harley dealer than the Hinda dealership. In my case, my dealer has already said he would work on both the bike and kit (if the kit issue is simple (wheels, tires, brakes, etc.). Probably because they already have most of this stuff for the TriGlide. Not sure if the Honda dealer can change the trike wheels. etc.

My Harley dealer installed TPMS on my trike wheels. Also changed them out when the correct wheels came in from CSC.

When I had my Wing, I use to go to the local tire shop for wheels, brakes, etc.

Bottom line - am hopeful the OP gets his concerns addressed and is able to get what he wants.

I agree with much of what you said except for the ride. Solids axles, regardless of the make, ride like a truck, especially on bumps. I have experienced that myself and virtually everyone who has ridden both tend to agree. I watched a friend of mine hit a hole in the road we were traveling on and he almost turned over and my ISP took it fine. That convinced me, and him.

My 14” Pro Action shocks drastically improved my ride on my 14 Tri Glide and I am still fine tuning them but am almost there. The service aspect is very important to me. For most part I can work on my own and carry tools to perform most service on it but in case I need a dealer I can find one , even in Canada which we are planning on riding to this summer. Maybe one of these days HD will outfit the Trikes with IRS but for now I am sticking with the tried n true for me.

Nothing against a Goldwing, it’s a fantabulous machine.

I agree with much of what you said except for the ride. Solids axles, regardless of the make, ride like a truck, especially on bumps. I have experienced that myself and virtually everyone who has ridden both tend to agree. I watched a friend of mine hit a hole in the road we were traveling on and he almost turned over and my ISP took it fine. That convinced me, and him.

Sir - I believe you and I are on the same page. My Harley trike has an independent suspension - I have a CSC conversion. My comment was intended to say, mount a CSC on a Harley. Then mount a CSC on a Wing. Once done, then compare the ride.

I believe you will find they will handle about the same over bumps.

For this reason, I went with the CSC conversion instead of the TriGlide.

Not only does independant suspension change the ride, but how wide the rear tires are does too. The wider the tires, the more likely of hitting rougher road. Also the over all length of the wheel base make a huge diffeance to. The longer the wheel base lessons how quick a bump is refelt. Or another way to say that ... a longer wheel base allows for the susspension to resettle before unsettling again.

Not only does independant suspension change the ride, but how wide the rear tires are does too. The wider the tires, the more likely of hitting rougher road. Also the over all length of the wheel base make a huge diffeance to. The longer the wheel base lessons how quick a bump is refelt. Or another way to say that ... a longer wheel base allows for the susspension to resettle before unsettling again.

I should have said, how wide the rear tires are, but more importanly, how wide the rear stance is.

****I must say I had my 2018 DCT Tour CSC Encore trike kit installed in 2021. I have an 8-year Honda Warranty-it is good despite the CSC Encore add on. The Honda dealership said they could service my GW. The CSC has a five-year warranty from date of installation, and I can take care of changing the rear drive oil 1 quart remove and replace; Checking the steering head bearings, I can do & replace them if necessary myself, etc.

The CSC trike kit at least for the Honda and I suspect of the HD is service minimal, but being I don't own one I cannot claim to know.

I do have a CSC installer that works on the GW's and of course the trike portion locally established for many years. Until my GW warranty runs out any issues will be handled by the Honda warranty pending it relating to the GW itself, and the five-year warranty on the CSC; the CSC installer can handle. I do see the concern for those that don't have the availability such as I have currently and could cause some concern particularly if you don't want to do most of your basic maintenance on the MC or the trike portion.

All good comments, Thank You! I went with a 2023 CSC Encore kit for my 2018 Gold Wing Tour Air Bag model. My Honda dealer will still cover the motorcycle portion and the trike installer will cover the trike kit portion.

Sir - I believe you and I are on the same page. My Harley trike has an independent suspension - I have a CSC conversion. My comment was intended to say, mount a CSC on a Harley. Then mount a CSC on a Wing. Once done, then compare the ride.

I believe you will find they will handle about the same over bumps.

For this reason, I went with the CSC conversion instead of the TriGlide.

Gotcha! Thanks

You are so right Sir - for some reason, it does appear that Harley dealers are willing to work on any of their bikes. When I rode Wings, we have two - one two-wheeler and one trike. The Honda dealer told us that once the bike was over 10 years old, they would no longer service them.

My original dealer was in Mass - and was great. I was however transferred around a bit, so I did run into some problems with service. Back then, I got a lot of the things that I needed/wanted done at Wing Ding.

When I converter my Harley, I wanted to add TPMS. he local dealer said - yep we can find a way. let's work on that over the winter. Took the bike in late October - and, he got it done.

Final thought - my bet is you will love your CSC visit. I asked them tons of questions before I converted. My first trike was a MotorTrike - loved it. I do believe the CSC is much nicer.

OfDcvMS.jpg

kAY6FK9.jpg

vKMwZAQ.jpg

T9tv5vn.jpg

Do you remember the name of the dealership in Massachusetts? They're almost non-existent around here.

I tried looking up Weymouth Honda and the only thing that came up was a car dealership. I think the bike shop is out of business. I traded in my 97 wing for a 2017 because the local dealer refused to work on it. Found a one man shop who I like but I don't think he knows much about trikes. If I need trike work I can go to Naults in New Hampshire. Not sure what I'll buy if I ever move on from this as my wife and I weren't crazy about the 2018+ No offense, just a personal preference.

Not sure what I'll buy if I ever move on from this as my wife and I weren't crazy about the 2018+ No offense, just a personal preference.

I have at least 3 customers, who have 6th gen trikes, and they kept their 5th gen trikes intending to sell them. However, they never sold their 5th gen trikes. This is what they found. That a 5th gen Wing is more comfortable for touring. It's roomier and carries more. Thus they hung on to their older trikes for long distance travel, and use the 6th gen Wing as a lunch runner, or for solo tourer.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back