You experience coming from a can-am to a freewheeler

Delkhouri

5+ Posts
Sep 8, 2022
Columbus, Ohio, USA
I currently have a 2019 Ryker Rally and I like most things about it except for the fully automatic CVT transmission that does no allow me to shift and keeps a super high RPM all of the time. I am looking at spyders and freewheelers. I am interested in hearing peoples experiences coming from a Can Am to a freewheeler.

The reasons i am interested in the freewheeler are manual transmission/clutch, looks, sound, dealer network. I have not ridden a freewheeler yet as I am having trouble finding one locally and i need to refresh using a clutch.

So please share your experience coming from can am to a freewheeler (or from a freewheeler to a spyder)

I currently have a 2019 Ryker Rally and I like most things about it except for the fully automatic CVT transmission that does no allow me to shift and keeps a super high RPM all of the time. I am looking at spyders and freewheelers. I am interested in hearing peoples experiences coming from a Can Am to a freewheeler.

The reasons i am interested in the freewheeler are manual transmission/clutch, looks, sound, dealer network. I have not ridden a freewheeler yet as I am having trouble finding one locally and i need to refresh using a clutch.

So please share your experience coming from can am to a freewheeler (or from a freewheeler to a spyder)

I had one of the first Can-Am spiders in New Jersey (2008) I traded it for a 2011 Tri glide in 2011. to be fair it was the first year and I had a lot of problems with it also after riding motorcycles from the 60s till then I just missed the motorcycle feel and I felt like I was on a toy or a converted snowmobile🤔...

Had a Goldwing reverse trike for a few years. The reverse trikes are more stable but harder to steer.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    1,000 KB · Views: 32
My previous ride was not a Freewheeler but a 2008 Gold Wing Motor Trike Adventure to a 2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Ltd.

I really loved that Gold Wing trike… so comfortable and powerful.

With a rake kit it was very easy to steer. I don’t know if you can put a rake kit on a Freewheeler. I am sure those owners will chime in and let us know.

The Spyder has power steering and is ultra-sensitive and easy to steer. I like it fine for now. It too has all the bells and whistles like the GW. It too is a comfortable ride.

I do prefer the 2 wheels in back, as was the Gold Wing, but that has nothing to do with the steering between my 2 rides..

Ride everything you can to get a feel for what you really will be happy with.

I went from many years riding Goldwings to a Spyder RTL back to a Goldwing and now on a Goldwing Trike. I had a long period of adjustment and un-learning when going from two wheels to the Spyder. Not so going to the GW trike. The two main differences I found between Spyders and Traditional trikes are: Spyder steering is more sensitive. There is a learning curve to become confident and relaxed. Secondly, Spyders require more rider "participation" in corners and twisties. Body lean, foot & knee pressures all become important to be proficient on a Spyder. Traditional trikes are more like a car in that respect. Just turn the handlebars and away you go. Hope this helps..... Jim

I went from many years riding Goldwings to a Spyder RTL back to a Goldwing and now on a Goldwing Trike. I had a long period of adjustment and un-learning when going from two wheels to the Spyder. Not so going to the GW trike. The two main differences I found between Spyders and Traditional trikes are: Spyder steering is more sensitive. There is a learning curve to become confident and relaxed. Secondly, Spyders require more rider "participation" in corners and twisties. Body lean, foot & knee pressures all become important to be proficient on a Spyder. Traditional trikes are more like a car in that respect. Just turn the handlebars and away you go. Hope this helps..... Jim

So i have owned a ryker for a couple years and I have ridden the a spyder RT new model on a hour demo and an F3 and F3L… the ryker is much more twitchy at speed than a spyder. I am surprised to hear you say that a traditional trike is more car like in some respects…. While i have never ridden a traditional trike i just assumed that the spyder was more car in pretty much every respect.

So i have owned a ryker for a couple years and I have ridden the a spyder RT new model on a hour demo and an F3 and F3L… the ryker is much more twitchy at speed than a spyder. I am surprised to hear you say that a traditional trike is more car like in some respects…. While i have never ridden a traditional trike i just assumed that the spyder was more car in pretty much every respect.

I owned my Spyder RTL for a little more than 3 years and 35,000 miles. I did a road trip last month and traveled over a road that I don't like.... a lot. It is about 60 miles of rough road and has signs indicating as such. I have traveled that section of road more than a dozen times on 2-wheel Goldwings, 6 times on my Spyder, numerous times by car, and twice this year on my trike. As I was riding it last month, I consciously thought to myself that my trike was MUCH more comfortable than the other bikes and was almost as good as my Buick on that bad boy road. I have a little over 20,000 on my current trike. At my advanced age, given a choice for extended touring, I'd choose my traditional trike 10 out of 10 times. I know my GW California Sidecar trike with IRS is a lot different from what you are considering. You may want to try different models and different suspension configurations to find what suits you best.....

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back