Yelvington USA Reverse for touring class - WOW!

Just my personal opinion but the price is way too high and has a limited application. I think the best bang for your buck would be the Motortrike Reverse set-up w/lockout. Have seen these on ebay and other sites for less than $1,300.
http://www.motortrike.com/trikereverse.aspx

Our trike has a Champion reverse and although it doesn't have a lockout,it works great. It's possible to engage reverse and first gear at the same time but you would really have to be asleep at the wheel,to do so. Nothing's foolproof,I guess.

First time I've seen this product. Thanks for sharing it HDB0BThumbUp
Not sure it would work for a trike as the rear pulley is different in the way it mounts, compared to a 2 wheeler...
Also don't know if it could handle moving the added weight a trike brings to the table.
Maybe they also make a model specifically for trikes:Shrug:

The patent rights to this were purchased back in 2012 when Richard Yelvington ran into a guy at the Indy Motorcycle Dealer Expo that was trying to sell the design and patent. Yelvington's bosses (the money men Jack Lavery and Matt Moss) bought the patent, the prototype and the Harley that it was installed on.

There were some issues with the design that precluded the development and distribution due to it being an all metal planetary gear design that had no fail safe against it accidently going into reverse and you can imagine the results of that at 70 MPH. I was part of a design team employed by Yelvington that studied it and made suggestions to improve the design to make it more safe, this was like 3+ years ago. When I left, it was still in the redesign process.

It was and is designed for a motorcycle not a trike, but might be adapted to work on a trike. I have driven the bike the prototype was on and the reverse worked as designed, but I would not be the first to purchase one until I have seen several with some miles put on it.

I have the Moto-Trike reverse with the lock out, And been using it for well over a year now sometimes 3 or 4 times a day... with out any problems.. And a few times when i was in reverse and hit first forgetting to to take it out of reverse ... The lockout intestinally stops the engine, So i just have to take it out of reverse and hit the starter button and go forward.. ThumbUp

Just for info,the Baker reverse is a much more involved installation than either a Champion or Motortrike unit.
At $1,750,it's also quite a bit more expensive.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tool
Back