Will only start when in neutral

Feb 15, 2020
Bainbridge Islandn
Mine is a 2016 Freewheeler - - think I saw somehing some time ago, that one model year was set this way.

Anywone know which year?

Also found another issue - - I had let it roll back on a slight hill. Left it in gear, and turned it off -- when tried to get it into neutral would not go -- shift lever moved between gears, but not into neutral. Was told that if this happens, should rock forward while in gear, which will then allow neutral to engage.

Even tho the hill was very gradual, was difficult to rock forwared.

Hello, on the trike models, unlike most motorcycles, you have to apply the brake to start it in gear.

I had great improvement with my 2017 M8 Freewheeler by swithing to Redline Shockproof Transmission fluid, but it can still be tricky finding neutral, but I have my best luck from 1st.gear, lightly lifting up on the heal shifter.

Hello, on the trike models, unlike most motorcycles, you have to apply the brake to start it in gear.

I had great improvement with my 2017 M8 Freewheeler by swithing to Redline Shockproof Transmission fluid, but it can still be tricky finding neutral, but I have my best luck from 1st.gear, lightly lifting up on the heal shifter.

90% of the time that I have had a problem finding neutral I wasn't actually in first gear to start with, but I have learned from my mistakes. :)

Reactions: MDO

Thanks -- tried it today (applied brake, and it started while in gear -- appreciate your help.

Also, have redline in tranny.

Cheers,.

I've tried...

I have tried all last year to get my 2018 Freewheeler ( purchased new Jan 2019)

to start in 1st gear...I've tried every possible combination of brake and switch combinations

to no avail.

Now , as soon as it gets warm enough to ride, ( i know...I'm a wuss) she goes back to

the dealership and she will STAY THERE until they figure out what the f**k is going on. :mad:

Dante

to start in 1st gear...I've tried every possible combination of brake and switch combinations

to no avail.

Now , as soon as it gets warm enough to ride, ( i know...I'm a wuss) she goes back to

the dealership and she will STAY THERE until they figure out what the f**k is going on. :mad:

Dante

If you have the clutch pulled in and one of the brakes on, it will start in gear. If it doesn't, there is not really much to figure out. It is either the switch at the clutch or the brake that is malfunctioning, not letting the ECM know that those two things are done.

Only exception I know of, if you have aftermarket grips that are larger in diameter than stock, it may not be letting the clutch lever pull in far enough to activate the switch.

Kevin

to no avail.

Dante

Dante, sorry to hear your having problems, but if you follow this link to the sticky in the Freewheeler forum, in less than a minute you can test everything with no tools required. Please Let us know whats wrong.

https://www.triketalk.com/forum/thr...e-Control-Diagnostic-Check-No-Tools-Required!

Hmm...now that you mention it...

If you have the clutch pulled in and one of the brakes on, it will start in gear. If it doesn't, there is not really much to figure out. It is either the switch at the clutch or the brake that is malfunctioning, not letting the ECM know that those two things are done.

Only exception I know of, if you have aftermarket grips that are larger in diameter than stock, it may not be letting the clutch lever pull in far enough to activate the switch.

Kevin

Hi Kevin

Now that you mention it, my dealer did install a " adjustable reduced reach "clutch lever and perhaps I have the pull too short.

However this problem was present before the clutch lever was installed. I will double-check when I break the trike out...We have a damn frost warning tonight...too cold

for me yet :(

Many Thanks!

Dante

Hi Kevin

Now that you mention it, my dealer did install a " adjustable reduced reach "clutch lever and perhaps I have the pull too short.

However this problem was present before the clutch lever was installed. I will double-check when I break the trike out...We have a damn frost warning tonight...too cold

for me yet :(

Many Thanks!

Dante

I had the adjustable lever...And if i set it at #1 the trike wound't start ...From #2 to 8 no problems......

You were right! Problem solved!

I had the adjustable lever...And if i set it at #1 the trike wound't start ...From #2 to 8 no problems......

I broke the Freewheeler out today and cranked the adjustment out to 5 and it started ! :clapping:

I will start to bring the lever back until I have the minimum setting possible.

I have small hands so every bit helps

Many thanks to all who responded !

Side safe

Dante

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back