What is the length of the rear shocks on your gl1500 trike?

haynes 57

5+ Posts
Sep 5, 2021
Walker County Al
Hi from Alabama. I have a new to me 1997 gl1500 trike with 88000 miles. Tire pressures are 41 F and 22 R. The trike has a Ford rear end. It starts and runs very well. The trike was built by the first owner from a kit. The second owner cobbled many things(tire pressures, ring of fire, no brakes, plastics broken etc). My other hobby is restoring 57 chevys,so these problems did not sway me. However the trike's rear seems VERY stiff. The second owner had a friend install "new shocks" with coil springs and no air. They look awful and are very rigid. The install left no room for exhaust. This is the problem i am rambling about. It appears the trike"s lower shock mount was reversed and is pointing down. This caused the length of the shock to be 20 1/2 inches on the right and 22 on the left. I just wanted to make sure if this was ok. They do not appear to operate very well at the present. If the mount is reversed the length would be appx. 12-13 inches. If you know the length of your shocks Please reply. Yes I know different trikes have different sizes, but 20 inches seems very long. Thanks for your info. Gary - By the way this is a SA.

Thanks for Reply!

THANK YOU! I had measured my options and came close to 13.5 inches. I asked a blind question because I have no way of knowing the original length. Your reply is useful to help me. Gary

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back