What is causing my Triglide to die?

The way I understand the TSSM is once you key on with the fob in proximity of the TSSM antenna that's it. There is no more interaction until you key on again. Has something changed?

That's the way my 11 works, BUT, if you realize you forgot the FOB, and you shut the engine off WITH the kill switch it will restart without the FOB.
Doesn't make sense to me, They should have it so if your out of range of the FOB, the engine would shut down, That would be better security wise.:Shrug:

Hey guys..

Can someone please give me the info when the security system changed?

I've left my fob sitting on a table after I left, rode about 50 miles and back home without shutting down the bike. The bike never shut down on its own because the fob wasn't within 10 feet. I've done this on an '07, '10 and a '12 bike.

The way I understand the TSSM is once you key on with the fob in proximity of the TSSM antenna that's it. There is no more interaction until you key on again. Has something changed?

Not sure about any changes but here is what I got off Harleys web site.. Sounds great in theory..

HARLEY-DAVIDSON® FACTORY SECURITY SYSTEM DETAILS

When armed, the Security System disables the starter and ignition while monitoring the electrical system and vehicle motion with adjustable sensitivity. Minor disturbances trigger a momentary warning; major ones an unbroken thirty-second alarm after which the Security System returns to monitoring. A distinctive four-way flasher pattern is the alarm signal. An optional self-powered Smart Siren Kit adds a piercing scream that sounds even if the battery cable is cut.

The Security System is armed and disarmed with a remote control waterproof key fob utilizing state-of-the-art rolling code technology. If the key fob is not available, the rider may arm or disarm the system by keying a previously entered personal code on the turn signal switches. A flashing status indicator informs the rider that the Security System is armed or disarmed.

When armed in the Transport Mode, the Security System disables the starter and ignition, but monitors only the electrical system, not vehicle motion. The vehicle may be moved, but electrical tampering triggers an alarm.

An Extended Storage Mode keeps the battery from discharging when the Security System is armed for extended periods of time.

The Security System is compatible with FL Touring models equipped with approved TLE/Ultra Sidecars when the system is configured as described in the SIDECAR OWNER'S MANUAL

A couple of suggestions....

1. Read your owners manual, the part about installing a personal code to bypass the alarm fob. That way when you drive out to the boonies and find out your fob is in the garage at home you can get back. Should be one of the first things you do. If your trike is a '13 model it is pretty unlikely your fob battery is dead.

2. If you have taken the trike to the dealer and they saw the problem take it back, get the problem documented. YOU ARE UNDER WARRENTY it is their responsibility to fix it. In California and Arizona the Lemon Law says they have a specific amount of tries to fix it, then they replace it. If you have 'diddled around with it, or didn't bother to take it back and complain you could get screwed!!!

Good Luck

You are correct Wiz, what it sounds like is a bad battery in the bike. Or a poor electrical connection . It would be interesting what the code that it posted.

Ok - I tried to start the trike without the FOB in the area. OK it worked..Got the FOB in range bike will not start...You would think with the FOB in range it would start the bike but no go.. The bike did start prior to me checking if the bike would disable..

Ok - I tried to start the trike without the FOB in the area. OK it worked..Got the FOB in range bike will not start...You would think with the FOB in range it would start the bike but no go.. The bike did start prior to me checking if the bike would disable..

It doesn't love you anymore:D.

The on/off switch on the right grip could have come loose. Also. Our old EG had a bank angle sensor go bad and would kill the engine unexpededly. But not sure if a TG has one.

PC

I got a feeling my FOB battery was on the way out...Bought some new batteries and once I get the bike back together I will try it again..The tank is off now while I run some wires in the duct that is under the tank..plus I get to clean my cylinder heads..

Verdict is in...... Fuel gauge was faulty. The gauge said 1/2 tank, but was empty! That explains what was happening...new part should take care of the problem.

I'm just glad it's finally fixed. Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddienorman
Back