Triking My Ultra

Greydog, Here's a little inside scoop as to my thinking when I was doing exactly what you are doing right now. Hope this reflection helps even if a little.

To start with I've ridden bikes since I was 16, I'm 53. Stopped when I was raising my kids then got back to riding however I did not stop hanging around biking. I did, however, make a deal with a good friend of mine that worked in the Harley industry to buy another one if he too would get back to riding after a bad accident he had. Well, you can guess the rest.

Now with that said and several bikes later I accidentally ran across a 07 Ultra Peace Officers Special EG that was for sale. Rode it for about a year and found it to be a little too heavy for my taste and with safety issues when two up. I'm not the strongest or youngest stud in the wall. I quit riding it or just didn't ride it much unless there were a group of people I knew headed for an overnight-er or long ride in the mountains.. hang on, I'm getting there.

The Wifey rides a bike now so there was really no more safety issue with me being able to handle the two up issues but I still found the Ultra was a bit bigger than I wanted/needed. Wifey didn't like to ride long distance either sooooooo.. you guessed it. The trike was the answer. Read all posts and on line info that I could for which conversion and why others convert. Read the "after" and how so many liked their trike and all the attention one gets and head turns while riding. OK, this sounded like a plan.

I worked on my POSE and starting to make the power changes before the trike conversion. (Cams, Dyno, Duals, gearing and such) Just seemed easier for me to do this first. Time was not an issue. I picked Motor Trike for a couple good reasons. 1. I liked the body configuration more so than the Champion such as the fender flair. (it was a personal thing, nothing wrong with Champion) 2. I had a Motor Trike contractor within 45 minutes from my house so I checked out his performance and reputation. This is a HUGE part. If you don't get a good installer then your trike will not be much fun as you are fixing their screw ups instead of riding and will always have that "doubt birdie" tweeting in your ear when riding.

So now, the moment of truth. I put it off then it was back on then I put it off again and again. Money wasn't the issue it was more of "my pour POSE will never be the same again". (any of this sound familiar?)

I sucked it up and just did it one day. Now it's all done. I pulled the trigger like so many of us here and truly enjoy tooling around on the trike. No more safety two up issues, Wifey likes to ride on the back. Last week she rode it in a parking lot and I'll be lucky now to get it back. :D It is very enjoyable and I, for one, really didn't regret the decision.

Yes, there will be days of reflection. Yes, there will be days of "I miss my old bike, look what I did to her".. but as soon as you mount the trike that goes away, crank her up and get down the road a little and you'll forget all about it because you will be on your TRIKE ! Whoooo Hooooooo Yeah man, Trike baby....

It will take a little getting used to the new feel but after about 500 miles you'll be cruising around like an old pro remembering how wide the back end is now so you don't hit a gas pump or curb or even another bike that you pull next to at a light. Yes, I came close once because I forgot. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand-grenades right?

Just about done here and I know I've gotten long winded but someone just can't give you this kind of info in a few simple words. We have several bikes and the trike so when I get the jones for two wheels... poof, I'm gone but it's on a solo seat Harley and that advantage keeps me grinn'n too. The trike can be, sometimes, a little big just to hop on and enjoy a short ride but remember I said "sometimes".

We are all different and for some the decision is a challenge but for those who took the chance and converted their bike or who purchased a new or used trike the feeling of exhilaration is the same. Grab your toothpicks honey, it's time to cruise!:D:D Soon it will become a passion that you just can't resist filled with meeting new friends with the same.

Cheers.... get'r-done :yes:

Last edited:
My reasons are real simple. I have admitted before that I have dropped my bikes in just about every state in the union and Canada as well. No big deal...if your wife is not on the back. I have threw that little lady down on pavement, gravel and sand. I will just be short and say that I have never dropped my trike. She can load the rascal down like a pack mule and all it does is just stand straight up after you get off of it no matter what. I often give demonstrations of how I can do doughnuts in gravel parking lots to all my 2-wheel buddies. Well....we all have our reasons and my wife is tickled to death with her trike.

Greydog: I guess I could just go on telling you what everyone else has said on here. I Triked my 2004 Ultra, I had the big Bore Kit and all the goodies in it. Same situation as yours, dealer did'nt want to give alot for the trade-in, so I decided to Trike it and have never looked back. This board has alot of terrific people that you can gain info from, also there's a few that could do the install for you if you wanted. I did the Hannigan kit, but I almost went with the Champion. Champion does have both a independent and straight axle now. Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be the right decision. I also feel it won't be to long before we're all telling you how nice your '08 looks Triked...........

Greydog, I had many of the concerns you are having. Like Mr Wizard says above, once it was finished, I could not have been more pleased with my decision.
I had the EVO industries comp sprocket installed to change out the gearing.
Other than my tune up, the gearing change showed me the most improvement for the money.
Champion isn't going to go out of business yet. Take your time and when it's right, go for it.

:D For the Champion reverse. :D For the EZ Steer.

I went over to Baxter's HD yesterday afternoon and gave him a down payment to order the kit. Going with EZ-Steer and Reverse for starters and will work from there once I see how the conversion performs. Hope it ain't snowing when I bring her home as it looks like around mid-November by the time the kit arrives and is installed!!! I've got some new chrome coming from Kuryakyn.....Thank goodness it goes on the Tour Pak and Fairing so it stays with the trike!!!

I went over to Baxter's HD yesterday afternoon and gave him a down payment to order the kit. Going with EZ-Steer and Reverse for starters and will work from there once I see how the conversion performs. Hope it ain't snowing when I bring her home as it looks like around mid-November by the time the kit arrives and is installed!!! I've got some new chrome coming from Kuryakyn.....Thank goodness it goes on the Tour Pak and Fairing so it stays with the trike!!!

Way to go!

I just love spending other people's money....I hope to have a trike one day too.

(ok, just kidding) :D:D

Congratulations Greydog!
No one mentioned the best part of having reverse- backing up beside someone who is trying to walk back their big cruiser :D. I always smile over at Hubby when I back up, especially on gravel :innocent:.

Hey Greydog, This is sooooo exciting! As Ben is also my trike builder, and a great HD dealer, I'm extra excited for you! He will do a wonderful job for you. Let me know when the day is that you will pick it up. We'll ride down and meet you and celebrate your first ride with you :yay: :wtg: :beerchug:

CONGRATS GREYDOG I do not think you will regret it. IF you love your Ultra it will just go forward to the finished trike. It will just be another accessory that was installed. A very expensive accessory but still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Greydog, This is sooooo exciting! As Ben is also my trike builder, and a great HD dealer, I'm extra excited for you! He will do a wonderful job for you. Let me know when the day is that you will pick it up. We'll ride down and meet you and celebrate your first ride with you :yay: :wtg: :beerchug:

Thanx Nana.....and everyone else!!! I'm pretty excited myself now that I finally decided to do it!! Prolly have to put about 20,000 miles on it just sitting in the garage makin' motorcycle sounds this winter!!! Where are you in Ohio Nana?? I graduated from High School in Gallipolis....in 1962. Stayed in the Navy for 22 years and worked in Illinois for another ten years before moving to WV but still know a few folks across the river. Went to school with Bobby Cox who owns Riverfront Honda...I've bought three bikes from him over the years. BTW....I have another question. What loss in gas mileage should I expect after the kit installation. I'm currently getting 39 to 41 MPG average.

Last edited:
I'm really considering having a Champion Kit installed on my '08 Ultra. I've done a lot of research on the web trying to get all my ducks in a row before I pull the trigger. Is it worth the extra money to boost the engine to 103CI to compensate for the extra weight? I already have Rinehart True Duals, Ness Big Sucker A/C and the SERT installed and tuned. I was going to have the reverse option installed as well as the EZ Steer but am having second thoughts about the reverse as I'm pretty tall and should be able to back it up if the situation arises. I have no reason to trike the bike other than.....I just want a trike. Attached is a photo of the bike I want to convert.

You probably do not need reverse if you don't part downhill where you have to back up to get out; especially if you also forgo the running boards (recommended). I have nothing to offer with respect to HP and torque of the H-D. My experience is with Hondas and BMWs. They both have plenty grunt for the trike kit and a trailer.

I too went triking for the fun of it and found that it makes long distance touring a real treat.

You probably do not need reverse if you don't part downhill where you have to back up to get out; especially if you also forgo the running boards (recommended). I have nothing to offer with respect to HP and torque of the H-D. My experience is with Hondas and BMWs. They both have plenty grunt for the trike kit and a trailer.

I too went triking for the fun of it and found that it makes long distance touring a real treat.

I opted to have the reverse installed Ben. I think I'll have this bike for a loooong time so I'll probably wear out before it does!! I'm not worried about performance in the sense that I need a lot of speed and power. Just want a stable reliable ride that that will respond "as required" around town and in interstate driving conditions. Everything I've read on here suggests that I'll not be disappointed!!

I quite agree that reverse is a nice feature to have. I got the idea that the OP was interested in saving some money and being tall, he probably will not 'need' it, especially if he doesn't install running boards.

I seldom used reverse when I had the trike without running boards. With running boards on my present trike, I use it a lot more often. That said, I noted that reverse is standard on touring BMWs and Hondas. If he is installing the trike kit on another brand, it is an expensive accessory.

I opted to have the reverse installed Ben. I think I'll have this bike for a loooong time so I'll probably wear out before it does!! I'm not worried about performance in the sense that I need a lot of speed and power. Just want a stable reliable ride that that will respond "as required" around town and in interstate driving conditions. Everything I've read on here suggests that I'll not be disappointed!!

greydog, with my Champion conversion I get 32 to 36 MPG. I got 38 to 42 before the conversion. I have gotten as low as 30 MPG if I am doing 70+ on the x-way. The 6th gear does not seem to help the MPG even at xway speeds.

I don't want to be accused of flaming, but it's getting a bit over the top, criticizing what people have added to their trike, because we think they don't "need" it, because its an "expensive accessory", or because another manufacturer "did it better".

The things we add -or don't add - are based on our personal taste, desires and financial status.

If I were to eliminate everthing I have, based on the "need" or "too expensive" criteria, probably the very first thing on that list would be the trike itself.

I personally think Greydog has made excellent choices; not because it is what I have or I would have done, but because he is doing what is right for him after examining all the options.

Pardon me please. Let's review and see if you think I was critical of choices that someone made.

The OP originally posted, "I'm really considering having a Champion Kit installed on my '08 Ultra. I've done a lot of research on the web trying to get all my ducks in a row before I pull the trigger. Is it worth the extra money to boost the engine to 103CI to compensate for the extra weight? I already have Rinehart True Duals, Ness Big Sucker A/C and the SERT installed and tuned. I was going to have the reverse option installed as well as the EZ Steer but am having second thoughts about the reverse as I'm pretty tall and should be able to back it up if the situation arises. I have no reason to trike the bike other than.....I just want a trike. Attached is a photo of the bike I want to convert. " Emphasis added.

I responded, "You probably do not need reverse if you don't park downhill where you have to back up to get out; especially if you also forgo the running boards (recommended). I have nothing to offer with respect to HP and torque of the H-D. My experience is with Hondas and BMWs. They both have plenty grunt for the trike kit and a trailer." Emphasis added.

I later responded to the thread as follows:

"I too went triking for the fun of it and found that it makes long distance touring a real treat.

I quite agree that reverse is a nice feature to have. I got the idea that the OP was interested in saving some money and being tall, he probably will not 'need' it, especially if he doesn't install running boards.

I seldom used reverse when I had the trike without running boards. With running boards on my present trike, I use it a lot more often. That said, I noted that reverse is standard on touring BMWs and Hondas. If he is installing the trike kit on another brand, it is an expensive accessory."

I hope this helps. I do believe that it is clear that I was offering the benefit of personal experience, as requested.

I don't want to be accused of flaming, but it's getting a bit over the top, criticizing what people have added to their trike, because we think they don't "need" it, because its an "expensive accessory", or because another manufacturer "did it better".

The things we add -or don't add - are based on our personal taste, desires and financial status.

If I were to eliminate everthing I have, based on the "need" or "too expensive" criteria, probably the very first thing on that list would be the trike itself.

I personally think Greydog has made excellent choices; not because it is what I have or I would have done, but because he is doing what is right for him after examining all the options.

Hey Guys....no harm no foul. I have taken everyone's advice in the spirit in which it was intended and don't feel as if I've been criticized or otherwise offended. You have all been VERY helpful and I appreciate it. After seeing JuJu's Dragon video I'm REALLY glad I decided to Trike my scooter!!!

96", set of cams, SERT (all the dyno work done by me), SEAC, true duals, geared down at the primary and it's all the power I need. Will burn both back tires or pull the front end if I want, will pull hills at 80+ and will run over 100 if I push it but I really don't. Sixth gear is no problem with my gearing and I get an average of 35 MPG or so depending on where I get the gas.

I could do more to the motor but it would be a waste of time and cash. Reverse? Yup, I use mine every now and again when necessary but I mostly use Flintstone reverse.

The question is... it's not what we have but what do you really want? :D:D They are work in progress and there's plenty of time to change but it's tougher to install the reverse later or get your rake later than it is to do now. I say that because I set up my bike to be converted later.

Not trying to tell you what to do or be smart, but a plan is worth it's weight.

Can't wait to see your conversion before, during and after pics.

Oh, and don't forget to pick up our take offs. Ebay got me about 1500 bucks back but I got a grand for my bags which may have been an ebay record. That was like getting the rake or reverse free.

Wiz

Which cams did you go with?? I've been considering the SE-255 as they seem to provide better performance across the whole Torque/Horsepower band. I'm also interested in knowing what specific changes you made to the primary gearing. I think, after doing a lot more research, that those two modifications will give me the best "bang for the bucks"!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back